Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my new article on Louise Brooks: the American Garbo

Guest dredagain

Oooo cool LuLu - another one to add to my cherished drednm folder. I seem to quote Louise more than anyone and she was another free and independent woman who went into a kind of seclusion (also, Mary Pickford and Clara Bow.) I'll always wonder about that. If new generations will embrace a silent icon, it will be Ms. Brooks- so ahead of her time. Thanks again drednm!

6a00c22524fdc7549d00e3989f733f0004-320pi

Ed: Thank you for sharing your article on lovely Louise Brooks. I always enjoy reading your intriguing profiles on the ladies of the silent films. I have seen several photos of Louise with Richard Arlen, the first from Rolled Stockings and the second from Beggars of Life. I have wanted to see both films, unfortunately *Stockings* is listed as lost, but with your description of *Beggars*, I am even more impatient to order this title. Thanks again.

brooksstockings.jpg

Louise Brooks with James Hall and Richard Arlen in Rolled Stockings (1927)

louise_brooks_and_richard_arlen_photo_courtesy_of_the_ampas.JPG

Louise Brooks with Richard Arlen in Beggars of Life (1928)

thanks and you're welcome. BEGGARS is a truly "adult" story and not like most American films of the era. But it proves what Brooks could do with a good story and strong director. I don't think TCM has ever shown BEGGARS but the film is available on video and DVD.

Ed,

Wonderful article as allways! Louise Brooks is not a Star I know all that much about, though I have the LOOKING FOR LULU documentary.

Karin,

You will be very happy to hear that BEGGARS OF LIFE was newly restored by James Eastman House in 2006! Unfortunately, being that it is a Paramount Silent that doesn't necessarily mean we will be seeing a DVD release anytime soon of the restoration? But here's and Idea, since both films were Directed by William Wellman, and feature two 1920's Iconic Actresses, how about if Paramount were to release both WINGS, and BEGGARS OF LIFE together, as part of the same collection? Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

Another thing I might mention, though the Western Electric Track is still lost, I have a good recording of the BEGGARS OF LIFE SONG from the movie! It was apparently a big hit! I will convert it to MP-3 format, and E-mail you a copy a little later. I don't think that I have any posters from the film yet, but I will check?

• 2 weeks later...

TCM has shown Brooks' Pabst films but has not shown her starring films, BEGGARS OF LIFE or BEAUTE DE PRIX....

All her other silent American silent films have her pretty much as a supporting player....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings