Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Music

Etownlover

Thanks Victor and Movieman for the information. Every year I get melancholy watching the year end tribute to departed stars. It has saddened me to the point I don't like watching the old movies like I used to. I'll never forget Jack Lemon's comment upon hearing of Cary Grant's passing that he thought he'd live forever. That sums up my feelings for that generation of moviestars.

Etownlover, you bring up an interesting point about not liking to watch old movies as much as you used to, due to the passing on of so many of the old stars.

I've noticed that there are a LOT of elderly people who don't want to watch old movies....in fact, some of them absolutely refuse to watch them. I could never understand this, since most of those films were from "their time" and SHOULD be fun and pleasant for them to watch....but now I'm starting to suspect that these elderly people don't like seeing the parade of stars who were young and attractive years ago but are now deceased. It probably depresses these elderly viewers and even reminds them of their own mortality.

MGM,

I'm not elderly yet! But you do make a valid point. I don't know if I'm being morbid but I've found myself watching an old film and reminding myself that all the actors in a particular scene are all gone. It's not a mortality thing but more the simple loss of their presence that's troubling to me. I know this is probably tied to the loss of my parents who were of that generation.

No, Etownlover, I didn't think that YOU were elderly, but I was just noting a trend that I see in quite a few older people.

I'm not elderly either (well, not REALLY....I'm 52), and I'm starting to experience some of what you're going through.

MGMMayer

Thanks for the comments. I'm new to this site but I've had a lifelong love for classic films. TCM is usually the first channel I check when I grab my clicker. Tonight I bought every song from the remembrance collection on itunes. Recently, I've had an obsession with listening to new music. Got tired of the old greatest hits discs and started searching for stuff produced this decade or thereabouts. So far, I've found a ton of great stuff of all genres. Right now I'm listening to the soundtrack for To Kill A Mockingbird--- what a great score! Two artists I've focused on are two of the musical contributors for the remembrance videos: Ryan Adams and Badly Drawn Boy. Two real talents there. I'm a little surprised TCM overlooked BDB's I Love NYE in favor of Promises. What a hauntingly beautiful instrumental. I also love his A Minor Incident.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings