Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Enter Laughing"

Poinciana

Does anyone remember this movie? One of the funniest scenes ever in any movie takes place in Enter Laughing when the main character "enters laughing" in his stage debut. This is Carl Reiner's story when, as a young man, he took his first tentative steps to become an actor.

It's been bumped because of the Charlton Heston tribute. I HOPE TCM reschedules it soon. Having not seen it in years I was looking forward to savoring it's delight.

I also remember this one fondly, and had been looking forward to seeing it.

Do you remember a movie called *The Comic* (1969), also directed by Reiner, with Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, Cornel Wilde and Michele Lee?

According to IMDb, it was loosely based on the life of Buster Keaton, but I don't recall being particularly reminded of Keaton. I just thought it was a good, funny movie. I think the user comments there peg the character better as an amalgam of several silent movie comedians.

Here's hoping that TCM reschedules *Enter Laughing* some time soon.

ENTER LAUGHING is cute. In my experience, it doesn't get a lot of play. More people should see THE COMIC. Not just funny and interesting. It's also poignant and telling. Not unlike the works of the great silent comedians it emulates. I heard it was based on elements of several real lives. Who knows? The montage of film clips, flying one after another, is hilarious! The high point of this fine little movie.

Dick Van Dyke, in younger days, was a phenomenal performer. Not the best dramatic actor in the business. But a likeable personality. A knack for slapstick. And a comedic timing that was mind boggling. That delightful TV show is, to this day, the greatest sit-com of all.

RR

Elaine May is over the top in Enter Laughing which of course makes her perfect as the actressiest actress of them all (with the exception of Diane Weist in Bullets Over Broadway - "Don't Speak..."). Speaking of Elaine, I WISH TCM would air A New Leaf! Remember that one?

I know I've seen The Comic many years ago and I don't remember it well. But from what you all have written here I'm sure I'd love it now.

• 2 months later...

Meant to mention this when I first saw it on the September listings. *Enter Laughing* is scheduled to be shown in September, the third movie of Jose Ferrer night, Friday the 19th. Supposed to be on at 9:15 Pacific time, quarter past midnight Eastern.

Thanks so much for the reminder! I hope it's as funny as I remember it. Also hope anyone who hasn't seen it will enjoy...

To reiterate abt A New Leaf - like Enter Laughing, it has one achingly hysterical scene to remember and funny all the way through.

• 2 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings