Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The War Lord" - starring Charlton Heston

RichardJH

I am searching for information where I can purchase or rent a DVD copy of "The War Lord" starrring Charlton Heston. The DVD is not available in Victoria rental outlets and would very much like to obtain a DVD copy or purchase one.

"The War Lord," is a great movie. For all you Charlton Heston fans, please write a suggestion on the TCM web site to play on the TCM network. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers, Richard (Victoria)

Hi Richard, welcome to the boards. THE WAR LORD, now there's a film I haven't thought of in decades. It was produced by an independent producer and Universal only had the U.S. distribution rights. It's very possible they no longer do so that might explain why it's not out on DVD or shown on TV. It may be one of many films that have fallen into "film limbo" which would be too bad. With Heston starring, I'll bet TCM would be delighted to show it if it were available.

If TCM ran it a couple of years ago, I don't recall it, but then again, some days I'm lucky I can remember what I had for lunch. That would be good news as it may be possible that they could get it again. After talking about it, I'm interested in seeing it again after 40+ years. Let's get those requests in.

I don't post here a lot, but I read these boards almost every day. I saw "The War Lord" on the Encore channels maybe two or three years ago. So the film is available for broadcast. Hopefully it will be shown on TCM in the near future if enough people request it.

Hi Richard, welcome to the boards. THE WAR LORD, now there's a film I haven't thought of in decades. It was produced by an independent producer and Universal only had the U.S. distribution rights. It's very possible they no longer do so that might explain why it's not out on DVD or shown on TV. It may be one of many films that have fallen into "film limbo" which would be too bad. With Heston starring, I'll bet TCM would be delighted to show it if it were available.

The film was produced for Universal Studios by Court Productions, an entity organized by producer Walter Seltzer and director Franklin Schaffner for the purposes of this project, but it didn't retain rights to the film, which are still held by Universal.

I have a copy of the DVD; unfortunately, it was released before the DVD companies made anamorphic transfer the standard for widescreen films; consequently, it is a flat, letterboxed transfer (and is also a bit grainy; it's obvious that they didn't go back to the original elements to produce the disc).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings