Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leading Ladies and Leading Men;The 50 Most Unforgetable of the Studio Era

PatrickWelch

This actually about 2 books(1 for the men & 1 for the Women) in TCM's Shopping Newsletter for April. The men's list has Brando,Clift,Dean,Hudson,Lemmon,McQueen,O'Toole,and Poitier with the women's list Doris Day,Audrey Hepburn,Grace Kelly and Sophia Loren who all came a little late,I think, to be really considered as part of the "Studio Era". Some might have been under contract in the late forties and fifties but the "Studio Systems" were on the way out if not gone by the time these people started doing lead roles in films. Both lists also are very heavy on MGM and Warner Bros. contract stars. Some names missing are Tyrone Power,Charles Laughton,Randolph Scott,plus the unforgettable 'B' movie cowboys;Hopalong Cassiday,Gene Autry,and Roy Rogers.The women's list has the highly forgettable Marion Davies but doesn't have Deanna Durbin,WWII's favorite pin-up, Betty Grable and the biggest female draw of the thirties,Shirley Temple.I realize there are very few DVDs that can be sold make TCM's corporate bottom line better,but let's be a little realistic with Tinsel-Towns Dream Lists.

I was seriously just going to post a thread about these books!!!!

I was wondering about their selection too. Keaton, Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd were in it. I can understand Keaton and Chaplin (they were geniuses!), but I can not understand Lloyd. Sure he had a couple cool things, but how did he make the cut when such greats as ORSON WELLES, and ROBERT MONTGOMERY didn't make it? I mean Orson Welles, I doesn't get much better than that!!!!!!!! And Robert Montgomery was also a STAR and a GREAT actor!!!!!

I am glad they included some often over-looked for their acting skills, actors like: Joel Mcrea and Frank Sinatra!

The girls book I think was a little better, but I was thinking the same exact thing as you! Why Marion Davies and not the uncompareable Deanna Durbin? I do not know what those people were thinking!!!

One huge plus was the pictures!!!! Each actor has a huge full page close-up that are AMAZING! The girls portraits were all great! And I fell in love with the pic of James Dean (LOL!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings