Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was looking at the TCM schedule in June and it looked fine at first but then I noticed that Rush Hour 2 is being played, what the hell? I don't have a problem with TCM playing newer movies but can they at least pick a newer movie that's good like Heavenly Creatures, Fargo or Lost in Translation. I have a problem with Rush Hour 2 being played because it's a bad movie, not because it's new. What's next, some random Adam Sandler movie? They will play Rush Hour 2 but yet they won't play A Clockwork Orange, that I don't understand.

It's a part of the Race and Hollywood series dealing with issues/subjects on Asians in American films. I'm a little surprised the film was included, but considering the number of other rare gems included in the series this year, I'm willing to keep cool about Rush Hour 2 in the lineup (though those films are guilty pleasures for me).

Kubrickfan,

We had a long discussion about this in the June Schedule thread a few weeks ago.

TCMProgrammr, I believe, wrote at the time that *Rush Hour 2* is being aired as part of the month long salute to Asians in Film. This salute will look at the history of how Asians have been portrayed on screen from the silents to today as well as highlight the various Asians actors from the sublime Anna May Wong to Jackie Chan.

Like the previous *Race on Film* month where TCM highlighted African Americans in and on film and last year's *Screened Out* salute to Gay Images on Film, this salute should be well worth our time from the historical perspective being offered, even if we don't agree with all the choices.

The concept of dedicating a month to African American, gay, and now Asian filmmakers is an excellent idea, and I hope it will prove a long standing TCM tradition that highlights many different race and cultural contributions to film. But it also seems as though TCM occasionally uses month-long tributes as a springboard for showing recent box office hits that frequently appear elsewhere. As if there aren't plenty of good, classic films to populate these ideas.

I'm a great fan of Jackie Chan. I believe he is a comic genius, and he's justly compared to the talents of Buster Keaton.

But I don't think the Rush Hour series offers much tribute to either him or Asian filmmakers. There are many earlier films by Jackie Chan that showcase his amazing talents as a director, stuntman, stunt coordinator, and comedian extraordinaire. But these earlier films don't say "recent box office hit" and I don't see any of them on the schedule.

It seems like TCM is trying to mix a few "fresher" beans into the brew to attract viewers that would otherwise stay away from movies for "old dudes". I don't think TCM programmed Rush Hour 2 with classic film in mind, but rather is taking baby steps to attract a wider audience.

Showing common films on TCM makes an uncommon station common.

>But it also seems as though TCM occasionally uses month-long tributes as a springboard for showing recent box office hits that frequently appear elsewhere.

You are right. They are just using the "tributes" as an excuse to add modern films to their film rental list.

We certainly don't need to start seeing Jackie Chan films on TCM since they are on nearly every other channel and in the theaters too and available for a few bucks at the Wal-Mart DVD bargain bin.

In the meantime, we are still waiting to see "The Story of Temple Drake" which is newly restored and available now in a 35 mm print.

Right now TCM is showing a stupid 1977 film with O.J. Simpson in it.

I agree playing Rush Hour 2 is a major disgrace to the channel and to Asians in films. They must have been hard up for titles for their month long tribute to Asians in film. I cannot see why they could not dig up some great Kurosawa films that are barely played like *The Hidden Fortress* and *Ran*.

I mean really! Rush Hour 2!---both of those films are bigger stinkers than the biggest stinker that Monogram films made.

I absolutely HATE Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker and all of those stupid unbelievable cop buddy movies-they turn my stomach.

Asians in film..does that mean

Godzilla ? Gamera ??

I wonder if they will include Charlie Chan or Mr Wong Asian characters played by white males

Maybe they will play Kurosawa movies..

Hopefully they will choose classic Asian movies and not thinks like Naked Killer or something rude :)

"We'd be better served by a documentary featuring Sessue Hayakawa, Anna May Wong, Sojin, Keye Luke, Philip Ahn, Richard Loo, Victor Sen Yung, et al. Bamboo splinters under the programmers' nails for this! "

Now THAT is a wonderful suggestion. Hopefully TCM heeds it...but I doubt it. I wonder if any Asian indie filmmakers would seek that out as a topic to tackle. How did those actors manage to keep their heads (and talents) above water in such a racist system as Hollywood was. Noone escaped unscathed.

We'd be better served by a documentary featuring Sessue Hayakawa, Anna May Wong, Sojin, Keye Luke, Philip Ahn, Richard Loo, Victor Sen Yung, et al. Bamboo splinters under the programmers' nails for this!>>

They are showing the new documentary about Anna May Wong, *Frosted Yellow Willows*, in June.

You guys should check out the schedule, they are showing some Hayakawa, Wong, Luke and many other rarely seen titles.

I believe they are also showing a couple of Charlie Chans as well.

I agree, kimpunkrock.

There are quite literally TONS of Asian films to pick from - why they picked this piece of trash is beyond me. Asian or not, this is hardly a 'classic' by any stretch of the imagination. And since this is, after all, Turner CLASSIC movies, it's an embarrassment to have this one on there. I can only imagine poor Robert Osbourne, trying to think up something nice to say about it. Yeah. Good luck with that.

In a tribute like this, I'm okay with a few newer films...but I STILL think they should be CLASSIC films - or ones that are destined to become classics in all probability.

This film is not one of those - this is a film that would be found by the truckload in the $2.00 bargain bin at Walmart because no one will buy it - not even 15-year old boys, can get a good snort out of the lamest of movies.

Shoot...they could fill up a month long tribute with Japanese film alone - Kurosawa being only the start. And just last week I saw an incredible Korean film called "Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring" - a beautifully photographed newer film from only a couple of years ago...and alot more likely to become a 'classic' than is (ERP!) "Rush Hour 2".

There are also some really interesting films coming out of Taiwan. There are tons of options here.

And as for American films, Charlie Chan, Mr Moto, Anna Mae Wong are all of interest to classic film fans. And there are tons of mainstream CLASSIC American films where Asians are portrayed - pick any given WWII War in the Pacific film...or films like China Seas, The General Died at Dawn, or even Lost Horizon! Or Vietnam War films, for more modern stuff.

And we haven't even touched on Central Asia yet - places like India have tons of films coming out of there.

Shoot...I'd rather watch all the cheesy Japanese scifi pictures and Bruce Lee Kung Fu pictures than this ridiculous excuse for a film.

No...there was simply no need to air this piece of garbage. If anyone wants to see this film, they certainly don't need to flip channels to TCM - all they need to do is pick through the bargain bins and OWN a copy of the thing for a dollar or two....if it's not being shown on any number of crap cable movie channels that air all manner of juvenile silliness, day and night.

Maybe in July TCM will air The Southpark Movie. Because that is about the level of quality we are down to, at this point.

*sigh*

>And we haven't even touched on Central Asia yet - places like India have tons of films coming out of there.

This ?salute? is about Orientals, not ?Asians?. But they can?t call it an ?Oriental? salute because liberals in California don?t want us to use the term ?Oriental? any more, so we have to call Orientals ?Asians? now.

But Asia is a big place.

East Asians and especially Northeast Asians are mostly ?Orientals?.

South Central Asians are ?Indians?, ?East Indians?, or Bangladeshies.

West Asians (and especially Southwest Asians) are mostly ?Arabs? and ?Persians?. Some Northwest Asians are ?Caucasians?.

I doubt if we will see any Arabs, Persians, or Indians in this salute. They will most likely all be Orientals.

Well, Fred, it may be that they were intending to salute only 'oriental' people...but if Rush Hour 2 was the best they could come up with using that criteria, then I propose that they expand their criteria to include Central Asia...and play a decent movie instead. :P

Not that they would have had to do that to find a decent movie. But you see my point.

Yes I see your point. :)

I think they should replace "Rush Hour 2" with "The Joy Luck Club", which is a wonderful 1993 American film with an almost all-Oriental cast.

Everyone should rent this movie because it is a modern classic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107282/

Kieu Chinh ... Suyuan Woo

Tsai Chin ... Lindo Jong

France Nuyen ... Ying-Ying St. Clair

Lisa Lu ... An-Mei Hsu

Ming-Na ... Jing-Mei 'June' Woo (as Ming-Na Wen)

Tamlyn Tomita ... Waverly Jong

Lauren Tom ... Lena St. Clair

Rosalind Chao ... Rose Hsu Jordan

Chao Li Chi ... Canning Woo

Melanie Chang ... June (Age 9)

Victor Wong ... Old Chong the Piano Teacher

Lisa Connolly ... Singing Girl

Mai Vu ... Waverly (Age 6-9)

Ying Wu ... Lindo (Age 4)

Mei Juan Xi ...

I think they should replace "Rush Hour 2" with "The Joy Luck Club", which is a wonderful 1993 American film with an almost all-Oriental cast.>>

Again, I would like to suggest you guys look at the schedule. It's up for everyone to see and there are some rarely seen films such as the *Bitter Tea of General Yen* and others as well as classics and box-office favorites. They even have some Charlie Chans and Mr. Moto.

The tribute is every Tuesday and Thursday evening in June.

*The Joy Luck Club* is being aired on June 26th as part of this tribute along with the *Killing Fields* and *Rush Hour 2*.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=6/1/2008&timezone=EST&cid=N

>The Joy Luck Club is being aired on June 26th as part of this tribute along with the Killing Fields

YAAYY!!!

And YAY!! for The Bitter Tea of General Yen. This is a top-10 world classic in my book.

Ok, I'll forgive them for "Rush Hour 2", but I hate for it to come into my living room, but I'll put up with it because of the other good movies.

Everyone must see Bitter Tea, Joy Luck, and Killing Fields. These are great movies.

This ?salute? is about Orientals, not ?Asians?. But they can?t call it an ?Oriental? salute because liberals in California don?t want us to use the term ?Oriental? any more, so we have to call Orientals ?Asians? now.

But Asia is a big place.

East Asians and especially Northeast Asians are mostly ?Orientals?.

To you, and others, who're too lazy or self-righteous (or bigoted) to accord people the right to be characterized as they wish, and not as you'd like them to be.

You probably characterize yourself according to the geographic origin of your forebears, yet you won't allow Asians to do the same. Your calling them "Oriental" is the rough equivalent of an Asian addressing you as a "round-eyed devil."

Of course, if you stay on your present course, you'll make a very good case for your being exactly that.

You are a Californian, and you prove my point. I?ve been waiting for you to show up.

I?m using the term ?Oriental? as it was used in books, movies, and news magazines in the 20th Century. I spent about 58 years in the 20th Century, and in the 20th Century it meant ?Northeast Asian?, as opposed to Southwest Asians (Arabs) and South-Central Asians (Indians).

In the 19th Century the term ?Oriental? meant ?Asian? and was more commonly used than the word ?Asian?. The term ?Oriental art? generally meant Northeast Asian art, but the term ?Orientalist art? generally meant European paintings of Arabic people and scenes in Southwest Asia and North Africa. An ?Oriental rug? was generally an Arabic or Persian rug in the 19th and 20th Centuries. The term ?Oriental? is from an old word that basically meant ?East? or ?Eastern?. ?Occidental? meant ?West? or ?Western?.

The Spanish language in Latin America still uses the terms ?Oriental? for ?East? and ?Occidental? for ?West?.

Note the two different names of the Sierra Madre mountain ranges on this Mexican map on the left:

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/mx.htm

Dobbs, Curtin, and Howard went into the Sierra Madre Occidental mountains.

But in the 20th Century, the term ?Oriental? meant East and Northeast Asians, the term ?Indian? meant East Indians, i.e. Asian Indians. (The term ?American Indian? mean native American aborigines.) And the term ?Arab? meant West Asians. The term Persian was not used very much. And the term ?Caucasian? generally meant ?white people? of European descent, but not Northwest Asian white people.

My Chinese friends in California when I lived there never wanted to be called "Asian". That was an insult to them. They didn't want to be mixed in with Koreans or Vietnamese or Arabs or Indians. They wanted to be called "Chinese".

If you want to say that TCM's salute will be about Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, that's ok with me. But please don't call my Chinese friends "Asians", because today that means "poor starving immigrant from Asia" to them.

A: I'm from New York; I just happen to be in California for the foreseeable future.

B: Remember your basic "Inherit the Wind": your comment suggests that you think that, like the lyric in "Thet Old-Time Religion," if it was "good enough for our mothers," it's good enough for you (and everyone else). Life and ethics and morality frozen in time at a point that serves you and your peculiar sense of propriety.

The world moves on, Freddie, like it or not.

See the note I added to my post below. You are making a big mistake. I said:

"My Chinese friends in California when I lived there never wanted to be called "Asian". That was an insult to them. They didn't want to be mixed in with Koreans or Vietnamese or Arabs or Indians. They wanted to be called "Chinese".

If you want to say that TCM's salute will be about Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, that's ok with me. But please don't call my Chinese friends "Asians", because today that means "poor starving immigrant from Asia" to them."

So, NEVER call my Chinese friends "Asians", even if you do think "they all look alike" to you.