Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New George Raft Biography

RJD

Bought a new George Raft biography on Amazon.com last week. Great book, filled with many photos I've never seen before. I've always been a George Raft fan, particularly his RKO-Ed Marin noir period. I felt he never got his due while Bogart, Robinson and Cagney took the glory. Turner Classics should put out a boxed set of They Drive by Night, Invisible Stripes and Each Dawn I Die. The Raft Biography is called George Raft - The Man Who Would Be Bogart. By Stone Wallace. Any Raft fans should check it out, it's a great read. Brings that whole era back to life

• 3 weeks later...

I read an older book about Raft by Lewis Yablonksy. He was great, until the late 40's Hollywood didn't know what to do with him. So they sent him to Cuba to host some nightclub, until Castro took over Cuba then he went to England for the same purpose then was banned from entering Britain in 1966 because of his alleged Mafia connections.

Still a great actor,Unfortunately he turned down alot of roles. (Bad for him-Lucky for Bogart)

vallo

One of my favorite George Raft movies is Manpower with Edward G. Robinson and Marlene Dietrich. According to a book I read there was quite a bit of friction between Raft and Bogart in this movie. If you watch closely you can see that Raft really wanted to hurt Robinson in some of the fight scenes. Also Raft fought the movie ending and had it changed whereby he was not made to look so bad.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings