Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spellbound vs North by Northwest

TripleHHH

Hard to say--both so different, but fabulous. In Spellbound, I love the acting/chemistry of Ingrid and Gregory and the kitschy medical stuff, but the cinematography/design and intrigue of North by Northwest is awesome. Spellbound quietly strong, and North by Northwest is a wild one.

TripleHHH,

I think both were good..but as far as Hitchcock movies North By Northwest was the better of the 2....I dont think Spellbound was one of his good ones....Just have to add this folks....sorry all for the goofs on my messages i dont know whatz happeing with my pc..plus i just had a shot of cortizone put in my finger by my doctor today,,because i have trigger finger from playing tennis...anyway sorry again folks for any goofs..

y yall again

AvaG

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

This one is a toughie, but I have to say *N by NW* wins

I really loved the Dali sequences in *Spellbound* but it definitley wasn't one of my favorite Peck performances, it felt a little over the top at times.

*North by Northwest* was perfect in my book especially Cary Grant's performance, and the cropduster sequence is totally awesome :)

TripleHHH,

First i want to say sorry for all the goofs i dont know whatz happeing with my pc.. :-( sorry every 1..

I think by far North was better then Spellbound..i think Spellbound was done very early in Hitchcocks carreer and he only got better as time went on.....PLUS i LOOOVE Cary Grant...

ty again all again sorry..

AvaG

TripleHHH:

I really want to post on this thread, but also hate to compare these two Hitchcock films, because I have to make negative comments about ?Spellbound?, and Hitch is one of my favorites. I?ll have to research this film. Maybe it?s what he had to work with, and I can lay the blame on someone else.

I saw ?Spellbound? when I was a lot younger and remember enjoying it. Looking at it in later years, I felt either I matured, or it has not aged well. In my opinion, ?Spellbound? starts off as a typically suspenseful Hitchcock thriller, but it doesn?t deliver what you expect. It rapidly deteriorates into a ?chase? movie, but, unlike ?The 39 Steps?, it turns out to be a silly psychodrama where Bergman, playing a Mama Freud type psychiatrist, (possibly needing analysis herself) both mothers and loves Peck to cure him of his fear of forks. (The first documentation of a psychiatrist getting intimate with a patient?) She succeeds by instantly analyzing his dreams which are illustrated by the weird imaginings of Salvador Dali, and, a la Miss Marple, finds the real murderer.

Actually, I?m having trouble conjuring up scenes from ?Spellbound?, and even remembering the plot. I remember that ?mental asylum?. Was that what psychiatric clinics were like in the 40?s? It certainly wasn?t run the way Dr. Jaquith ran his! Even Drs. Gillespie and Kildare approached psychoanalysis more believably. What the film has going for it are Hitch?s twists and the performances of two greats, Bergman and Peck, who manage to rise above the ridiculous script. But what else is there to like about this film? The answer is Rhonda Fleming?s nymphomaniac. That I remember! I would have preferred a lot more Rhonda, and a lot less Dali.

However, I can easily visualize ?North by Northwest? from start to finish. It?s another ?chase? flick, but I think it?s Hitch?s best in that genre. I feel every facet of movie making that went into it comes out trumping ?Spellbound?. Here are a few reasons why:

_Acting_: Bergman?s going from cold hearted to warm hearted is not smoothly accomplished, Peck goes from confused to confused, but he does it well. Grant and Saint, possibly because they have less of an obstacle to overcome in the way of a script, put in more noteworthy, and more memorable performances. Grant, going from business man to pursued ?wrong man?, and Saint, from cold-hearted calculating seductress, to warm hearted calculating seductress. All accurately and believingly portrayed.

_Sets_: I remember the hype about this film was Dali?s sequence. I really love some of his artwork (e.g., ?The Slave Market with Disappearing Bust of Voltaire? http://psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/daliSlavemarket.html and that kind of stuff --sorry, I don?t know how to put a link in here?), but since I?m not into the particular surrealistic images used in ?Spellbound?, I prefer the use of Mount Rushmore as a backdrop to the action.

_Dialogue_: We all know what Hitch got away with in that torrid ?Notorious? kiss scene, but even for 1959, he pulls off some blatantly seductive conversations between Roger and Eve on that train ride. I can?t remember any similar dialogue illustrating chemistry between Bergman and Peck in ?Spellbound??

_Suspense_: Show me a scene in ?Spellbound? that compares with the crop dusting scene. Now, that?s a kind of surrealism I can appreciate, another scene that has to make the top 10, if AFI ever compiles the greatest 100 movie scenes.

And what about that final dissolve from the mountain to the train compartment? Sheer genius. Unfortunately, I can?t find a compartment like that on Amtrak?s Auto Train! By the way, the metaphor of the final scene is not lost on me. Hitch wasn?t first with that was he? Don?t I remember that tunnel entry being used in the same way in other flicks? (Maybe in one of the ?Thin Man? movies?)

I hope others will post more views on ?Spellbound?. It is reputed to be one of the greats, and maybe I?m missing something?

--Gus Cerini

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings