Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Question For Those Who Have Seen "Gentlemen's Agreement"!!!!!

ILoveRayMilland

I have a history class that gives extra-credit for watching historical films (even fiction.). I mean I was given credit for "Gone With The Wind" and "Casablanca" (its a cool class lol). So in your opinion do you think I can count "Gentlemen's Agreement"? It does have historical facts, although the characters are fictional (but so are Scarlett O'Hara and Rick Blaine!) In fact, the whole film shows a way of life and how many people thought. I can't ask my teacher. (I am sure she has never even heard of the film! In fact she has probably never heard of Gregory Peck!)

Do you think I should count it? Why or why not?

I don't really know your class "parameters", but a big-budget Hollywood drama on anti-semitism coming at the same time as the creation of Israel has some historical context, somehow. Whether as an "Op-Ed" piece, or whatever. Surely the film was "right on time", culturally.

the film was based on a huge best-selling novel by Laura Hobson and written for the screen by the great Moss Hart who was very "tuned in" to anti-Semitism, since he was Jewish and had faced "restricted" clubs and such. The post-war timing of the film was perfect.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings