Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Classic Movie" overplay

jackmichele

What makes a OLD movie a classic? Quality not Quantity I've always thought. In my opinion lately Turner Classic Movies has overplayed a few of the oldies but goodies. Granted some movies never get old but honestly weekly play of the some of the good ones seems like you are cheating your viewers out of the experience of many great films. I know you have enough movies in your library to where you are not at a lost for what to play. Shake it up a little, Really, playing North by Northwest & All About Eve 3 times in one month is about all I can take!!!

Message was edited by: jackmichele

There is nothing on the other 300 channels.

News: Obama/Hillery/and the old guy

Documentary: How they make plywood/big storms/Famous Tsunamis/global warming/Hitler?s Hobbies

Movie: Rocky 27/High School Tarts 5/Godfather 12

Specialty: How to Use Your Putter/Let?s Bake a Cake/Tours of Rich People?s Houses

Welcome to the boards. You bring up a question that has started fistfights among filmbuffs. It seems that everyone has a different answer and some people are very passionate about how they feel.. I'm sure as more folks reply to this you'll get plenty of different points of view.

As for TCM repeating certain films many times, I think it amounts to trying to program to many people with many different tastes. I also think that besides trying to please it's regular "core" audience, those of us who have been watching TCM for years and are knowledgeable of lesser known films, they need to try and "hook" the casual viewer by always having some films each day that they may have seen before or at least heard of. Those people are more likely to watch "North by Northwest", for example, than something more obscure to them. It's very important that TCM's audience keeps growing.

TCM programmers have a really tough job trying to have a well balanced schedule and I don't envy them because there's no way they can please everybody.

Your mentioning "All About Eve" and the number of showings may have something to do with their rental agreement. It could be that TCM can show it a certain number of times within a time frame. The other side is maybe they have the film for six months and they can show it whenever and will show it at different times of the day or night.

"North By Northwest" I think got caught up in a Hitchcock run and also for this months spotligh on "Riding The Rails."

They're making the most of their dollars.

Yeah, I have times too when the "Are they showing THAT AGAIN ??" thought goes through my mind. And FredCDobbs, is correct. (He did forget the endless replays of some whogivesahoot sporting event from 1977.) Personally, I spend my spare change on DVDs of older movies that I (or the boss) want to watch again. The Thin Man series, High Sierra, Jane Austin (the bbc series) etc.... You might give that a thought. It works for me....

*"It could be that TCM can show it a certain number of times within a time frame. The other side is maybe they have the film for six months and they can show it whenever and will show it at different times of the day or night."* - movieman1957

I am pretty sure you're right on most of all of what you have written.

TCM goes to great lengths to vary the time of the day that they show their films. It is unusual for TCM to repeat a film in the same time slot twice in a row. But it does happen.

*All About Eve* debuted on a Sunday afternoon in March. It was subsequently shown at 8pm EDT on a Sunday evening later in March and again a week ago Saturday - also at 8pm EDT. As of today, there is only one more showing of *All About Eve* scheduled - in the morning on June 29th. But once again it is on the weekend. It is sort of disappointing that the film is never being shown after 8pm on the West Coast during its TCM run. But this situtation is the exception and not the rule. And I don't believe that the film will be seen on TCM again during the rest of the year - if ever.

In the past, persons from TCM have written here that they do track when and at what hour they show their films so that they don't show a film too often in the same timeslot. And they also take into consideration the three hour time-difference between the East and West Coasts so that a film is presented in the tradtional "primetime" to both audences. (5pm is definitely not a prime hour for watching TCM in the Left Coast. And they understand that midnight on the Right Coast isn't the most desirable hour to watch a popular or highly anticipated film either.)

But they really can't schedule the films believing that everyone does watch - or can watch - the channel 24 hours a day. Showing a film at 7am EDT in a given month shouldn't keep TCM from showing the same film at a later hour (or much later hour) in the same month. I don't remember the last time *North By Northwest* was shown after 8pm on a weeknight so I was happy to see it last Wednesday night.

I wish I was able to be home next Tuesday when TCM premieres *Easy Living* at 5pm PDT. It is a film I have always wanted to see. But I'll have to record it that night as it doesn't seem to be scheduled for any repeat showings. I'll have to give up my Keith Olbermann and "NewsHour" fix for the night. And try to avoid the TV upon getting home that night as I will arrive in the middle of the film. It's no fun to start watching a movie in the middle when it is a film one has never seen before. The same goes for the premiere showing of *Wings* this past February. I look forward to being able to see it for the first time - and from the beginning - during Memorial Day Weekend next month.

Yet, I will say it was disappointing to see _once again_ the "Spielberg On Speilberg" documentary "bookended" with *Jaws* and *Close Encounters...* while the film (premiere?) *1941* is scheduled for late night/early morning that day. Even I call that a "rut" TCM would be wise to get out of. Too bad the folks at TCM couldn't have programmed *1941* earlier in the evening and accompanied it with another showing of *Amistad* which they showed in February. I guess *Amistad* was a "one-night-only" presentation. That's a film that deserves to be seen again.

Kyle In Hollywood

You know, I'm no "know it all", though I may think I am at times. I apologize for that.

But I do have "horse sense".

Example.....

A film I'd love to see, with all the extra's on TCM, is "They Call Her Savage"

So...why doesn't FOX just give it up for a one play on TCM?

Simple. As opposed to "Eve", which is available on DVD, "Savage" is not. Putting it out on a prime time play on TCM would eff up a DVD release. And in case you're wondering, YES, I would definitely spend 20 or so bucks on Clara's pre-code gem, with all the works. It's all about money, always was, always will be. I'm not complaining, I'm just being realistic.

There is an exception I like to make to showing movies more then once a month. It is unreleased movies on video.

TCM fortunately did this twice for me in 2006 and 2007. I didn't know the movies were recently played so I turned to Directv's Scout and entered the movie TCM showed. They showed both again within a couple of months and now I have on video 2 movies not available at all on VHS or DVD.

TCM doing that does come on handy also for people that has hectic work schedules and might forget to program their recorders or to simply forget to watch it. The 2nd time around can be a blessing to them.

I seen some channels do it 2 times in a row, this is called an "encore" presentation.

At present I hope TCM will show "The Great O'Malley" - 1937 , starring Pat O'Brien and Humphrey Bogard.

*"You know, I'm no "know it all", though I may think I am at times. I apologize for that. But I do have "horse sense"."* - mickeeteeze

I've never felt the need to have you apologise to me for anything you have written - unless I missed something REALLY insulting a few weeks back.

Your thoughts about DVD releases are _very_ realistic. But when a "classic" film gets a DVD release, studios are using TCM to help promote the release - as Fox did last year when they released the mammoth "Ford At Fox" set and allowed TCM to show *How Green Was My Valley* and *Young Mr. Lincoln*, among other titles.. Same goes for the Paramount Screwball Comedies being shown on TCM next week in conjunction with their release on DVD.

Others have written that TCM needs a "digital copy" (or transfer) of a film to be able to show it on the channel. That may be the biggest hurdle to getting some titles shown on TCM.

Kyle In Hollywood

HI Kyle:

TCM must be why God invented recorders. I had every intention on recording "Easy Living" (as I'll be at practice) because I really like this movie. Now I don't have to as my wife bought us a copy.

I often tape things in the middle of the night here. No point in losing any sleep (assuming I can sleep) when I can watch it later.

I agree about "Amistad." I did n't get to see it recently but have seen it before. The court room scenes with Hopkins I thought were realy well done. (That's been floating in the back of my mind as I have watched the "John Adams" series on HBO.)

If you're thinking Olbermann or Arthur. Olbermann or Arthur. Let me suggest always Arthur. She's much more attractive. I don't watch Keith unless he's doing sports but I think I'm going to have to go teach him how to tie his tie better.

Hope you are well.

Chris

It's classic movie "underplay" rather than "overplay" that many TCM viewers worry about. If given a choice, would some of us settle for the umpteenth replay of Casablanca vs. a movie made in 2003? (TCM did show an animation film that recent once.)

Thelma

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings