Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Casablanca...........The Best!!

AvaG92260

Ava, I still have the original 1984 CBS/FOX VHS release of Casablanca. This is when VHS tapes were of better quality material wise. What's nice is that it has the Renewed date (when it was released to TV) which was 1970. It was made by Warner Brothers but was released by United Artist.

Had to join a Columbia House video club in order to save money at that time. The tape was approx $40.00 but would have been more if I did not join. We almost forgot how expensive early video was. First VHS releases was $80.00 per tape. What worst VCR's had no remote controls, the horror.

The very first VCR I have ever seen was in 1979 at my local Sears. I walked in and at the front door was a (I think it was Beta) showing a basketball game. I asked the clerk did it recorded in color and he said yes. It had the old style TV tuner selecter (channels 2-13 + U).

Its price tag was $1,799.95 A couple of years later another department store was selling the first generation Sylvania LaserDisc player with the same price tag. Both VCR and LaserDisc had no remotes. Few TV's like Zenith had an ultrasonic remote. Problem was any high frequency noise would change the channel or turn it off.

hamradio,

thats cool.....i have the VHS Special Edition of Casablanca..with Lauren Bacall hosting and all the interviews with everyone involved..its first 30 minutes ..then Lauren introduces Casablanca..VERY COOL.....heehee..

yet.i still would like to get the dvd version of Casablanca...what i have is a colloectors item for sure...but no matter what theres nothing like the quality of DVD..remastered stuff..

ty

AvaG :-)

Yah, I remember those days. My first vcr was a Betamax from Sears. It weighed 45 pounds and had the old manual tuner. I had held off a year or so until the price came down. Still it was almost $900. I remember I found a place in NYC where you could order blank tapes for "only" $9.99 if you bought a case of 24. I friend from work and I use to split a case, now and then, and we were thrilled were that we were getting such a "deal". That player ran for about 20 years and the only thing that ever had to be replaced was a couple of broken drive belts. They don't make them like that anymore.

45 pounds, imagine lugging around approx 60 total. The oldest unit I can visually remember was during a CBS Sports event around 1970. This was the day of Howard Cosell. The guy was taping a race car event, had a huge color video camera, the recording unit was strapped to his side and the power pack unit on his back. I think it was made by Ampex, which used 20-30 min 1/2inch reel video tape. The earliest "portable" units. Wonder how much back pain he endured?

Boy, oh boy! Listening to everyone talk about old VCRs, Beta, and whatnot. Man, things change in a hurry. Imagine the idea that we could copy our own stuff 35 years ago, seems almost out of the question. Now home media is capable by anyone. Unbelievable. The computer age is clearly upon us, making everything before it completely obsolete. Incredible what we all see in a lifetime.

I'm still waiting for 72 inch plasma TV's to come down to $800-$1000.

It'll happen. By that time, we will probably be able to "be inside" our movies by way of some kind of 3D "projection unit". And a VCR tape will look like one of those old "tube records" you see in early silent movies.

I'll bet Fred could tell some stories about "lugging cameras".

I hope no one thinks I'm "flaming" here. I love history, especially when it is humanized.

Actually 2 movies did envision it. The movie "Things to Come" made in 1936 showed what looks like a high def TV set mounted on the wall at the end of the movie. A man was showing a little girl how people use to live ABOVE ground in the "old days". LOL. What got me was the proprotions and the size of the "viewer" that was portrayed in the movie.

The other movie is "Back to the Future II". When Michael J. Fox was a much older man, he came home to a big screen TV and start telling the TV to go to several 3 digit channels at the same time. The TV doubled as a 2 way video / telephone. The thing is, the movie was made before the Internet and multi-media !

Exactly right! I've seen both films, and you are spot on!

My vision, and I could be wrong, is some virtual reality set-up wherein a 3D projection unit puts us "IN" the movie, via, we turn our heads, and see a different angle. Like those "alternate life" sites are.

I like The Maltese Falcon better than Casablanca myself, I do prefer mystery movies in general..

Anyway you cant go wrong either way

The first time I watched Casablanca I dozed off because I was tired

The 2nd time, just a wonderful film when you are in the right mood

going a little off topic, there are still several Bogart movies NOT on DVD yet, amazing !

HHH,

i loove The Maltese Falcon as well....but i am a romantic at heart!..... heehee...and i just loooove Humphrey Bogat, Paul Henried....yummmy.....and of course..though not yummy to ME....lol..Ingrid...u cant go wrong with a cast like that!

AvaG

;-)

Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains, Rains

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings