Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question! VHS TAPES

butterscotchgreer

i have a question to ask all of you loverly people!

for those of you who have thousands of VHS tapes and are gradually copying them to your DVDS....what do you do withthe VHS tapes afterwards? do you throw them away? sell them? recycle them? give them away? because my grandmama had way too many, and she is in the process of copying them ALL to DVDs, but has no clue where to put all these VHS tapes after and she wants to be rid of them all. heehee!

i have no clue and she told me to ask ya'll. :)

I have the same dilemma. I have given a few away. I have a large pile stacked in the corner (we're talking hundreds here) and I don't know what to do with them besides throw them away. I was thinking of making a list and inviting people online to chose and I would give them away. The postage woud kill me and if I asked for them to send a self addressed envelope it starts to get complicated.

I'm not sure there is much demand for the old vhs. I might try a tape trading site. If there is a way to recycle them I would like to hear about it.

There are people around that still "do" VHS. I don't know, I always give stuff away. Especially someone like us. That rarity that we take for granted could turn out to be someones "long sought after title", especially when you're talking VHS.

Then, if no one wants them, I chuck 'em!

I would contact a nursing home, retirement home or community recreation center frequented by retirees or the elderly and see if they would like them - preferably places where the residents are on public assistance or "warehoused".

Also contact certain teaching programs that are not well-funded. I am thinking particularly of certain adult ESL programs that may be run by community groups that are outside of the Public Education system in your area. English-Language films are quite uesful to teaching adults who are not fluent in English.

And perhaps a food bank would even like to disrtibute them to the needy.

Just some ideas.

Kyle In Hollywood

I have hundreds of VHS as well stashed away in boxes. A few months back I found a book exchange here locally that bought about 25 of my tapes for about $2 each. In exchange I got several nice books and some cds.

Another place to go would be your local retirement centers or senior centers. Especially if the tapes are "clean" enough (PG and G rated of course) for that older generation. They will usually have VHS machines still. You could donate them instead of throwig them out.

And of course you can pay the extra expense to have a company tape the vhs onto dvds.

I don't have hundreds of VHS tapes but I do have plenty and still use them. I record regular TV shows or things I know we won't keep. They still come in handy. (I have a DVD recorder but I still have 3 VCRs. It's great if we want to tape different things at the same time.)

A retirement home is a good idea for prerecorded tapes. Once while visiting my wife's grandmother I went by a large room to see about twenty seniors sitting around a TV watching "Maytime" with Nelson Eddy. They were enjoying themselves.

thank you all for your advice! i think the retirement home idea is wonderful! i have visited many retirement homes and had actually thought about it a while back, but i completely spaced out on that idea. thank you for reminding me again! :)

my grandmama has literally 100s of these tapes and she has a DVD hard drive now, and doesnt need the tapes, so she will do anything to get rid of them. heehee!

bsgreer:

I agree with Kyle about all of his suggestions.He had some good ones.

I can tell you first hand that the tapes would be useful to anyone teaching *ESL* (English as a Second Language), I am an ESL teacher and I teach conversational English on Saturdays. We work with a lot of dialogue, role-playing and watching scenes play out and that is where movies come in handy.

I never had much luck in selling or donating, but maybe that?s just the area I?m living in. Everyone wants shiny new stuff. Plus I don't like the idea of strangers using my old stuff, whether they paid for it or not.

I?m gradually reducing my collection by taking them down to the garage, stacking them three or four high on the floor, then grabbing my rubber mallet, and commencing to wail on ?em! Makes a helluva mess, but it?s a lot of fun. If you go that route, I recommend some protective eyewear. (The plastic shards fly all over the place.)

I personally like to hear some Zep or The Who playing when I?m disposing of old tapes, but I suppose show tunes would work as well if that?s your preference. Staying motivated is the important thing.

If you?re the artsy craftsy type, you might try using the loose tape as pillow stuffing. Let me know how that goes if you do.

Otherwise, they make great landfill, which gives you an excuse to visit your local dump.

Long time no post, my friend, Dan.

We're a couple of the old lone rangers from years gone by,aren't we?

You cracked me up with your suggestion...the visuals were hilarious, but sounds like a kind of belligerent action on your part.

Is everything well in my home state?

We're overrun with VHS tapes at the moment, but we're brainstorming the problem and I'm sure we'll get it resolved in true Texican fashion.

Belligerant? The tapes don't seem to mind. It's actually a very constructive means of working out aggressions. (Or a destructive means, depending on your perspective.) "Belligerant" would be to wail on my neighbors tapes. (He set them out by the curb, I still don't know why he went all I'm-gonna-call-the-cops.) But things are okay now.

*I personally like to hear some Zep or The Who playing when I?m disposing of old tapes, but I suppose show tunes would work as well if that?s your preference. Staying motivated is the important thing.*

Nice. A couple of whiskey sours and the "Leeds" version of "Young Man Blues", I'll bet I could knock down an entire Blockbuster full of 'em.

And thats just during the solo section. I imagine Moons fills could heighten the adrenaline level a bit.

I'll have to keep my cellphone handy, in case I need a doctor!

B-)

Yeah "YMB "works good, Mick. And smashing anything to WGFA when Roger finally let's loose is an experience you should not miss. Also, "When the Levee Breaks." I find the pulse in that one allows me to get into a more rhythmic groove for swinging the mallet, which lends some method to the madness. (Madness without method rarely ends well.)

Pink Floyd? "Echoes" might do, or "Dogs." But plain beer? No. Liqour is, forgive me CB, quicker.

BACK TO TOPIC

If you still have tapes left over at holiday time, you could give them out to trick or treaters, or use them as stocking stuffers.

Or if you're a teenager who likes to make mischief - and if you don't you're not much a of a teenager - you and your buddies could troll an alley and place VHS tapes behind the wheels of all the parked cars in all the driveways. (Not in your own neighborhood of course. Never hit your own block. Or at least that was the rule in my day.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings