Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name of this silent film??...

linds724

There was a silent film on one Sunday night that was played some time this year. Anyway, in the movie an Asian man (who wasn't really Asian) sees a girl in the street and falls in love with her. He somehow follows her home, where her father physically abuses her and knocks her unconscious. The Asian man picks her and takes her to his small house. Another man sees him and informs the girl's father. Her father ends up going to the Asian man's house... this is where I'm unclear. I think her father kills her, and when the Asian man gets back home he kills himself.

Okay, can anyone help me out with the name of this movie? I know that it has some kind of flower in the title, but I just can't remember it.

LP

linds724,

Yes, of course the film is D. W. Griffith's BROKEN BLOSSOMS (1919), Starring Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess, and Donald Crisp. TCM aired the Image DVD release, version but the best version is the Thames restoration produced by Kevin Brownlow, and David Gill, which they used to run back in the 90's? Apparently, TCM no longer has the broadcast rights?

Sadly this version is not on DVD either, but I have a copy on DVD-R from Laser-disc. The print is far less battered, and Carl Davis reprises the original 1919 orchestral score. The Image version also contains a re-orchestration of the Vintage score, but it is not as good as the Davis arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings