Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

silent sunday night

Goalieboy82

Goalieboy82,

Seems like someone asks this same question every few weeks here?:

OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS (MGM, 1928): Balloons.

FLESH AND THE DEVIL (MGM, 1926): John Gilbert, Greta Garbo, Dance.

THE BIG PARADE (MGM, 1925): Gilbert, Renee Adoree, Huggs, and Smooches! Leaving Fo The Front.

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (Metro, 1921): Valentino, Smoke.

GREED (Metro, 1924): Zasu Pitts, Big Hat, and Fluffy Ruffles.

NOAH'S ARK (Warner Brothers, 1928): George O' Brien Close Up Out In The Rain.

THE CROWD (MGM, 1928): Eleanor Boardman, Looking Pretty.

OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS: Joan Crawford, Mirror.

THE CROWD: James Murray, Mime Face.

SHOW PEOPLE (1928): Shawl, Nervous Grin.

THE KISS (1929): Garbo, Seductive Glance.

THE CAMERAMAN (MGM, 1928): Buster Keaton, Slow Eye Closing.

THE WIND (MGM, 1928) Lillian Gish, Staring through Window.

GREED: Zasu Pitts, Terrified expression!

GREED: What's His Name?, (Gibson Gowland?) Moving In For The Kill! Yipes!

THE WIND: Lantern Swaying in The Night.

What do almost all of these films have in common? Believe it or not, all but two of them have still not been released on DVD yet! Not even King Vidor's Masterpiece THE BIG PARADE! That's just plain unacceptable!

To date, only Clarence Brown's FLESH AND THE DEVIL (1926), and Keaton's THE CAMERAMAN (1928) have seen the light of day on commercial DVD! Where are all these other great films Warner's???

I have them all on DVD-R. But with respect, most of us don't go trudging around for old Laser-disc releases from 10 to 15, even 20 years ago! Indeed many people probably have never even seen a Laser-disc player! When are you going to start making these films much easier to obtain for collectors???

Ed,

No, I had listed Marion Davis from SHOW PEOPLE under "Shawl, Nervous Grin". I attributed the "Mime Face" to James Murray in THE CROWD, You know the hand passing over, and change of expression part. So I did mention Marion, and in the proper sequence in which the clips run.

Anyway the main point is that only two of the films are on DVD, and as far as I can tell, there are no immediate plans for any of these other titles to be released anytime soon? THE BIG PARADE gets pushed, back year, after year. I sure hope that I am wrong, but this is already April, and nothing so far has been announced?

LOL.... in my rush to correct you I got it wrong.... but you didn't mention Marion Davies...

It's astounding that a MAJOR film like THE BIG PARADE has never had a DVD release.... judging from Brownlow's comments, we'll never see most of out favorites in crisp, clear, restored, and beautifully scored commercial DVDs....

is your email working?

Ed,

I guess that I didn't mention Marion? I'm sorry. I think I did later though? I drug this over from the first time I posted the list, and I had re-posted it a couple more times since than, but couldn't find them.

I didn't know that you were writing a book on Her? I don't think that you told me about this before?

I was only joshing you, Jeff, since you mentioned all the other actors.... I've worked on the book on and off for a few years but never have the time.... on the films of MD and not a biography.... I see it with lost of pictures.... some day

it always startles me, during that intro clip, how much Zasu Pitts looks like Lillian Gish.....

Message was edited by: drednm

• 3 weeks later...

Silent Sundays are off the schedule in May, I guess to make room for Sinatra. Too bad. I notice the June schedule is hit-and-miss with silent Sundays, too. I hope these pre-emptions aren't a signal that the feature is in danger of being discontinued. Sunday nights are a perfect time for these films.

St Pete,

TCMProgrammr in another thread earlier this spring said that Silent Sundays wasn't in danger of going away.

Be sure to study the June schedule as many of the silents being shown that month are part of the Race in Film: Asian Images festival that runs two nights a week throughout the month.

So, look to the other nights, where you will find some very rare silent films being aired.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the scheduling info for June. Needless to say, I am so disappointed there were no silent sunday movies this month. Also glad to read your note that the silent programming is not in danger of being discontinued. I love these shows and look forward to those Sunday's. If I'm working my husband will even DVR them for me!

Mrs. H,

I can't stress enough to everyone to be sure and scour the June schedule for those rare silents that will run as part of the Asians Images series.

That series will run on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Lynn,

They are rare, but I think that I have all of them already? One thing I did notice is the footage from BROKEN BLOSSOMS appeared to be from the Thames version? When TCM last aired this picture, it was the Image version they broadcast, which is an OK print, but not as good as the Thames one.

THE TOLL OF THE SEA (1922) is missing the final reel, but the restoration is very nice. To bad that they are not showing Fairbanks THE THIEF OF BAGDAD, since Anna Mae Wong was in the feature too. Plus there was the evil Mongo Prince. Alex Raymond later based "Ming The Merciless" on this character in his famed FLASH GORDON comic strip of the 1930's.

Say, did you ever get my PM's???

An interesting thing about the ending on the restored version of TOLL OF THE SEA, is that since they had a shooting script to work with ,they were able to tie up any loose ends with titles, and they used an original two-color Technicolor camera to shoot some footage of the ocean in order to heve some sort of visuals for the last bit of the film.

I've never heard that about Alex Raymond's inspiration for Ming, what is your source?

If one examines the first year or so of the strips, you find that he seems to just take influences willy-nilly through any exotic imagery without thinking it through; Ming is Chinese, his soldiers dress like ancient Romans, his palace is Egyptian, and most other inhabitants of Mongo (Mongoloids?) wear capes and feathers and tights, like Faustian opera costumes.

This in difference to the successful space comic strip Buck Rogers, which preceeded it by five years, where they wear more "nuts and bolts" outfits and the architecture less theatrical.

Factotum,

Back in the 70's there were several hard-cover volumes of Flash Gordon reprints. In the introduction, The Mongol Prince from Fairbanks THE THIEF OF BAGDAD was cited as a direct influence on the "Ming The Merciless" character.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings