Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Played the Best Gangsters & Thugs

TripleHHH

Another thought question

Weve seen gangsters, Noir, classics

Bogart, Cagney, Robinson, I think Clark Gable was a gangster early on, but not just them

theres Sterling Hayden, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Palance, Richard Wydmark

or still character actors, supporting roles that were tremendous as a gangster that you personally like...

Theres plenty of gangsters to look at

For the life of me, I have lately wondered why a woman would want to love a gangster after watching all those movies ? Money ??

"Little Ceasar" 1931 Edward G. Robinson (and he don't say Pizza Pizza). is one the early talkie favorite of mine.

About why will a woman fall in love with a gangster ? Forget about fictional movies, why will some women (with a couple of cards missing) fall in love and sometimes wants to marry a guy on death roll - for real. Money couldn't be the reason.

HHH,

In my opinion, no dought there were 2 that played that role the best......James Cagney and Edward G Robinson...no dought!..they were both great at that....Its the Thug Life 4 me....heehee

ty

AvaG

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Ted De Corsia was a great criminal. he even played a crooked cop in The Killing. I liked Nehmiah Persoff in Street of Sinners. Realistic. Anthony Quinn was great as a thug in Naked Street. Raymond Burr played a great gangster in Raw Deal & who could forget Johnny Friendly - Lee j Cobb.

Finally a good question. I'm going to go with Timothy Carey and Eduardo Cianelli. (I'll throw in a mug: Elisha Cook, Jr.). The rest of you had named some very good actors.

Oh yeah...we girls LOVE the bad boys!! Charles McGraw could smack me around anytime! Oops...the train's about to go into the tunnel.

I think women attach themselves to "bad guys" for the danger and excitement. In

some of the classic "gangsta" movies, the spoiled rich "dames" are definitely in

it for those reasons, thinking "Daddy" can always get me out of my predicament.

My fav is Edward G. Robinson

Cinemaven,

what do u mean FINALLY? I think all of HHH s questions are pretty darn good...keeps us all on out toes and makes us think of some very fond memorys of some great movies! Unless thats not what u meant?? But u did say finally a good question asked but HHH...

Well... i love his questions .as a matter a fact i like every1 questions here on the board..maybe some better then others...but basiiccly i appreciate every1 comments...

AvaG :-)

Before I get beaten to a pulp in a tag-team brawl with Triple H & Ava, let me get back to the thread at hand. If you're naming Marc Lawrence, SCSU (was I the only one who recognized him in "The Man With the Golden Gun" playing, wait for it...a gangster?) then I'm going to name Joseph Sawyer.

Totally off-topic: you haven't lived until you see John Hodiak...mustache and all play an indian in "Cross The Wide Missouri." YIKES!

scsu you are Rich then, youre out :) LOL

thats I can change the word to COOL then :)

I love that comment about Cinemaven being doubleteamed

by me and ava

thats rich..i mean cool too :)

Im the gangster of love :) whoo

Message was edited by: TripleHHH

*Harold Huber* played a great gangster, IMO. He was memorable in *Hide-Out*, playing the gangsterish doctor to Robert Montgomery's classy gangster. I love the scene where Huber, still hungover from the night before, inadvertently calls the farmer's wife, played by Elizabeth Patterson, "babe," and then quickly recovers himself.

He's also quite good as one of Robinson's hoods in *A Slight Case of Murder,* with Edward G. and Ruth Donnelly, another two of my favorites.

Huber had a prominent scar on one cheek and I always wonder how he got it and if it helped him get those kind of roles when he was first starting out.

Another dependable character actor in the gangster mold was *Joseph Calleia*. He costarred with Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr in *Algiers*, playing Inspector Slimane, the man who introduced the two lovers, and also the one who finally caught Pepe LeMoko. I also enjoyed Calleia in *Five Came Back*, a plane crash melodrama with a young Lucille Ball.

But my absolute favorite of all time is **James Cagney*!* Even though he grew to hate playing gangsters, I'm happy to watch his movies and especially love his wiseguys and song and dance men.

Message was edited by: cybrspacy

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings