Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
zaca52

TCM BACKLOT in CANADA

Often wonder  why  Canadians  and  other parts of the  world  are excluded  from the  opportunity  to join?    I had  to  'speak"  about legals  and  copyrights.  Seems to  biga  large  deal  with   the network  yet   others  get excluded.

Maybe  others  feel the same way?

cheers

• Thanks 1

I host Vancouver's Classic Film Discussion Group. Too bad there's no Backlot chapter here though! A number of people in my group would love to join. Cliff, if you would care to message me, we meet once a month via Meetup.

I brought this up two years ago at a public forum at the TCM Festival with multiple members of the TCM Executive. They were surprised that Canadians were excluded and promised to look into it. Then they offered me a special "press membership." Not the point, and still no movement on allowing Canadians in to the Backlot. I even reminded them that Mary Pickford, who financed the hotel we were all sitting in  (The Roosevelt) wouldn't be allowed to join Backlot. I guess it isn't worth their while for a tiny market of 35 million people.

I am am American living in Canada.  I tried to join Backlot when they first launched it because TCM is on in my house constantly.  I tried to sign up but there was no option for a Canadian address to be input.  I called the member number and they explained that it was not available for Canadians yet.  I told them that this was extremely infuriating for Canadian viewers.  They said they were working on it.  All these years later and I still cant join.  I suppose I could join using an American address but I dont have a credit card linked to a US address and what good would it do because events would not be held in Toronto.  I am going to continue to pursue this.