Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Theme for One Reel Wonders

I miss the old theme song too, Suzanne! "It's such a perfect time for ONE..REEL..WONDERS!" I liked the old record scratches sound effects in the background. The song was a little inaccurate, as a lot of the shorts TCM runs are two reels or more and they still call them "one reel" wonders, but it's still a catchy little tune! Speaking of two reels, did you catch that MGM "Song Writers Review" from a couple of days ago with Jack Benny in 1930? I never knew it existed! Jack was really doing his Frank Fay impression in this one, as he introduces Arthur Freed and many other great popular composers. Thanks to TCM for running this one, please bring back the Hal Roach comedies, and please run some non-Stooge Columbia comedy two-reelers!

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever you see (or hear) Jack Benny before 1935, he still retains his personality that he used as his stage specialty; wise-cracking, arrogant revue host. That he usually gets stung somehow in the end, (as seen in the Laurel & Hardy segment of THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929), is the only saving grace.

In the early talkie Paramount shorts like TAXI TANGLES (1930) or the Tiffany Feature MEDICINE MAN (1930), he doesn't get comeuppance, and it's impossible to like the smart alecky jerk he plays. He becomes a totally lovable and cherished actor only after he and his writers developed the stingy, put-upon, vain character of radio and TV.