Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Train Wreck Films!!??!!

webestang

I let a buddy barrow the movie The Train (1964) with Burt Lancaster, great film BTW, and he asked about the train wreck. I said Yes, they wrecked a real train.

As far as I know, there were 4 films in which a real train was wrecked...

The Train (1964), The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), The General (1927) (2 trains??) and The Fugitive (1993)

Anyone know of other films where they wrecked a real life size train for THE effect of wrecking a train for a scene........?????

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (the tracks ahead of it blown up by Lawrence and his men),

HOW THE WEST WAS WON

and

BREAKHEART PASS (the latter half of a real train, but not the whole thing).

More significantly, there have been innumerable films counted as figurative train-wrecks.

They wrecked two classic old narrow-gauge trains by having the engines run in to one another in ?Denver and Rio Grande? (1952). They did that on the line north of Durango, Co. I hated that scene. The people in Colorado would love to have those two engines back now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfNB2giXz-I

I see that they also rigged the engines and cars with explosives too.

The train coming into the station in 'Silver Streak' (1976) was well done. Two movies I haven't seen, but would like to, are 'Runaway Train' from 1985 and 'Hatter's Castle' from 1942 which apparently features a scene about the Tay bridge disaster.

Regards

Web,

Don't they set dynamite under the bridge to blow up the train?

Aaagghhhh!!! I hate getting old!

I used to be able to call this stuff up at the drop of a hat.

But now that I am mid-century modern, my once great memory is foggy and hazy and I can't remember easy stuff like this.

But I can still remember lines of dialogue from *Casablanca*.

To paraphrase Patton "All memory is fleeting".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings