Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Paramount DVD releases

coopsgirl

As most of us know, Paramount is pretty bad about releasing the older films in its catalog on DVD. Well it looks like someone over there has had a change of heart b/c there are several films set to be released during the spring and summer. Here?s a link to the thread where I found the info from the Home Theater Forum site.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd-film-documentary/270145-hell-just-froze-over.html

Here?s a list of films being released through Legends Films. They will first be available from Movies Unlimited as well as the Legends site and then later in the summer will be available at other online retailers like Amazon according the info at HTF. I?m really only excited about *The Skull* but the best news is that all of these films will be released in their proper aspect ratio as well as being the best prints available. Paramount does beautiful restoration work (as we?ll soon see with the June re-release of *High Noon* currently owned by Paramount) and Legends Films also does restoration/colorization of films (they always include the b+w version too on any colorized releases).

Let?s hope these sell well enough that Paramount will continue the relationship with Legends and keep those old movies coming :).

Houdini (1953): While the story of the famed magician is filled with flights of fancy, this is an extra-entertaining account of his life, with Tony Curtis winning as the charismatic escape master and Janet Leigh as his loving wife.

Mandingo (1975): Controversy has always followed this tale of heated race relations down South, beginning when it was a best-seller penned by Kyle Onstott, then a play, and later when this Dino De Laurentiis production was released. A plantation is the setting for sex, violence and some politically incorrect behavior with James Mason, Susan George, Perry King, and Ken Norton.

The Possession Of Joel Delaney (1972): Perry King again, this time as the demonically possessed brother of socialite Shirley MacLaine, in this creepy forgotten film of the 1970s.

Z.P.G. (1971): In this futuristic shocker, Oliver Reed and Geraldine Chaplin play a couple in a dystopian future where, forbidden to have a child, they decide to ignore the law and have it their way. Any resemblance to the recent City Of Men is strictly coincidental. We think.

Villa Rides! (1968): A real popcorn movie, this highly speculative historical saga stars Yul Brynner as Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa and Charles Bronson and Robert Mitchum as support. Sam Peckinpah (who was removed as director) and Robert Towne are credited with the screenplay.

The One And Only (1978): Winning saga inspired by the life of Gorgeous George starring Henry Winkler as a flamboyant ?50s wrestler.

Jekyll & Hyde?Together Again (1982): Mark Blankfield is the infamous doctor in this '80s comic staple, this time experimenting with white powder which brings out his animalistic tendencies.

King Of The Gypsies (1978): Eric Roberts? breakthrough performance came in this colorful saga that casts him as the young leader of a gypsy clan in New York. Brooke Shields, Susan Sarandon, Shelley Winters, and Sterling Hayden also star.

Hitler: The Last Ten Days (1973): Alec Guinness is the Nazi leader in what many consider the most realistic screen portrait ever.

Student Bodies (1981): Long before Scream and Scary Movie came this goofy spoof of horror flick conventions, with a young Richard Belzer as the psycho killer.

The Skull (1965): This creepy Amicus effort stars Peter Cushing as a doctor who discovers his latest artifact is the headbone of the Marquis de Sade.

Those Daring Young Men In Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969): In the tradition of Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines comes this wacky farce about a car race across Europe starring Tony Curtis, Terry-Thomas, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.

The Optimists (1973): Engaging, gentle comedy stars Peter Sellers as an aging London street busker who falls into a beneficial friendship with a pair of impoverished kids.

Some Kind Of Hero (1982): Richard Pryor offers one of his most rounded performances in this comedy-drama based on the James Kirkwood novel of a Vietnam POW?s difficult acclimation to life back in the states. Margot Kidder, Ray Sharkey co-star.

Almost An Angel (1990): Paul Hogan shelves the croc-hunting for this frothy tale of a crafty burglar convinced, after a near-death experience, that he was brought back to perform good deeds. Linda Kozlowski, Charlton Heston co-star.

Blue City (1986): From the Brat Pack?s heyday, this Judd Nelson-Ally Sheedy vehicle tells of Nelson?s return to his small Florida hometown to root out the truth regarding his mayor father?s murder. This Ross Macdonald-based thriller co-stars David Caruso, Paul Winfield.

The Whoopee Boys (1986): Likeably lowbrow farce teams Paul Rodriguez and Michael O?Keefe as doltish New York con men who try to crash Palm Beach society in order to save a special needs school.

Its a shame they could also release the Madeline Kahn movie Won Ton Ton, The Dog Who Saved Hollywood as well. Paramount is long over due to let this one on dvd. Not all these Paramount relelases are any great films either. This film never was put out on any format of video. Do it for the fans of the late and great Madeline Kahn.

Big Deal! Where are all the Paramount Silents? I'll concur that their lone release, a DVD estra of Cecil B. De Mille's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923) looked great, but that's all that has been done!

Kevin Brownlow said that they wouldn't even consider releasing James Cruz Epic Western about the Prairie Pioneers THE COVERED WAGON (1923), and they have a virtually pristine print! They feel it has no commercial value of any kind! Despicable! It has tremendous historical significance. It contained the last of the Pioneers, making a film about their predecessors! It's as close I you could ever come to a living breathing history book of these important events!

And where are all the Paramount Betty Hutton Features like INCENDIARY BLONDE, and RED, HOT AND BLUE? It's appalling that they never even released even one of Betty's films after She passed away recently, and they still haven't done so! Paramount is beneath contempt, as they continue to circumvent their own legacy! What a bunch of Jerks!

It is definitely an understatement to say that Paramount needs to do a better job at releasing catalog titles onto dvd, but at least this is a step in the right direction. One poster in the thread at HTF stated that previously Paramount wouldn?t even let outside companies do the distribution so they have obviously changed their minds about that. Let?s hope that these films are just the first of many catalog releases, hopefully including silents one day.

I might not be a big deal to you gagman

but its a big deal to many fans who like these films, for me the Skull was a big coo as I have enjoyed the movie for 20+ years, and was sick of the EP bad quality VHS and people selling bad bootleg DVDs

As for old Paramounts, I wish they would also go into their vaults. They are very slow when it comes their releases. Universal has been releasing classics, but it is far between

Island of Lost Souls is still not on DVD

Paramount was to release The Keep , a popular horror title and it never happened.

There are lots of oldies still waiting for release. I applaud Warner for their efforts as they have done very well with their Gangster, Noir, Horror/SciFi titles and they will have more out soon

I've never understood why Paramount -- which is an industry pioneer in many ways --

is so out of the loop and clueless regarding their vast classic movie library. It would appear that they only consider anything Audrey Hepburn and beyond "classic" and that titles released prior to (let's say) 1950 are too antiquated for them.

Sad. Yet another example of Hollywood not being mindful or appreciative of its own history.

For the most part you're right about Universal owning the Paramount classics. They own the Paramount films made between '29 and '49. Paramount still owns their silent films and post '49 films. Universal definitely needs to step it up as most of the Paramount films I want (i.e. Gary Cooper's early films) are owned by them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings