Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HERE IS ONE OF DIETRIICH'S MOST ICONIC MOMENTS

Can anyone guess what movie the clip is from?  It is very easy. Isn't she amazing?  You see a very young Cary Grant here. To all the Dietrich haters, you are so wrong.  She was one of the biggest stars from the real Golden Era, the 1930s.

• Like 1

BLONDE VENUS is my favorite Marlene Dietrich movie. I know some people have said the ending is unrealistic---Dietrich and Marshall's characters reconciling after all the animosity --- but I say the two people never fell out of love. Of course, I also she think genuinely loved Cary Grant's character.

One of my favorite lines in the movie (and in movies in general) is when Dietrich asks Taxi Belle, "Do you charge for the first mile?" 

• Like 1

I was "browsin'" and came upon this thread.

I think Dietrich in Blonde Venus is one of the few female characters in classic film who can "cheat" on her husband and get away with it.  Maybe it's because she's doing it to get money for his treatment; but I think it's also about the Dietrich persona.

"He says he ain't lookin' for nobody, he's just browsin' around. But he can't fool me, no sir. That white man's up to something. I know when a white man's browsin' and when he ain't."

-- Hattie McDaniel, Blonde Venus

• Like 3

I remember seeing Blonde Venus for the first time in a revival house back in the 1970's. There was an audible gasp when the ape hand came off during the Hot Voodoo number and the diamond bracelet underneath was revealed. When the head came off revealing Dietrich, the audience cheered. It was a truly electric moment and I still get a little chill when I see it. 

I agree with Holden that they never fell out of love; otherwise the Cary Grant character never would have just walked away.

• Like 1

Hello 

Here is another clip from another film "Destry Rides Again"" You will see the terrific Comic Character Actor Billy Gilbert as then bartender. We do not see too much Billy nowadays.

• Like 1

Although "Hot Voodoo" is of course the most fabulous number in Blonde Venus, I'm also very fond of "I Couldn't Be Annoyed." Couldn't find a video though.

This Thursday (May 10th),  has a great prime time line up of Dietrich films -  The Blue Angel,  The Scarlet Empress,  Shanghai Empress,   Morocco,  and Blonde Venus,   all directed by Josef von Sternberg.

Nice kick off by TCM for her star of the month tribute.   Don't miss it!

• Like 3
On 5/8/2018 at 5:10 PM, Swithin said:

He says he ain't lookin' for nobody, he's just browsin' around. But he can't fool me, no sir. That white man's up to something. I know when a white man's browsin' and when he ain't."

-- Hattie McDaniel, Blonde Venus

I just re watched that film after not seeing it for years. And that scene was one that I clearly remember. Hattie McDaniel was hilarious in her short time in the picture. That browsin' detective is played by a pre Charlie Chan Sidney Toler.

• Like 1