Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buster In Prime-time. Possible Different versions???

gagman66

TCM is airing both Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL and OUR HOSPITALITY this evening back to back. Sure that's a good thing in some respects, but it makes me Melancholy for this reason. TCM could be showing the Thames versions of these two films that Kevin Brownlow and David Gill produced with Carl Davis scores! They have been released on DVD in Region 2.

Unfortunately, TCM won't be doing so, but why not? Davis scored versions of these two films, the only two Keaton features that He ever scored in there entirety, and both are outstanding works. Easily, the best scores I have heard to either film. It makes no sense not air those versions back to back.

Instead, we will get the horrid Alloy Orchestra score again, and a good, but far from Carl Davis caliber Donald Hunsberger score. Unless, without warning TCM plans to unveil different versions of these movies tonight? Which I seriously doubt will occur.

A perfect opportunity to air two excellent Thames Silents restorations in a row, but it just isn't going to happen! Again why can't these films be shown with the Davis scores on TCM? His efforts, and Mr. Brownlow's are being wasted! And of all weeks too! Just how frustrating is this?

I might add, that If they can't get Carl Davis, than the Robert Israel score found on the Kino DVD release of THE GENERAL would have still been a big improvement over the Alloy Orchestra! They are running the Kino version of OUR HOSPITALITY, so why not THE GENERAL?

Oh, and yes, Happy Birthday Mr. Chaplin! To bad they can't broadcast your films un-re-edited, even on your Big Day!

it's as if the people who book these films for TCM have no idea what they're really getting and what the options are.... it can't ALWAYS be a licensing issue.....

Ed,

Well, I really don't see what rights have to do with it, in this case? If like Izcutter says TCM has to rent every film it shows now days, they can easily rent one version or the other? Correct? Especially, with a film like THE GENERAL which is after-all Public Domain!

If not the Thames version, why can't they show the Kino one? Either one of them are much better than what they do run! No "pot's and pans" clanging around are anywhere to be found! And how about running Buster's SEVEN CHANCES instead of a film that they have shown a dozen times! it's my favorite Keaton feature, and has never been broadcast on TCM!

Ed,

Well, I am pretty sure that back in the 90's the Thames versions of both OUR HOSPITALITY, and THE GENERAL did in-fact air on TCM. I know that they aired the Thames BROKEN BLOSSOMS, and Five Harold Lloyd features. LIkely THE THIEF OF BAGDAD, and THE EAGLE too.

However, eventully TCM apparently lost the rights to show allot of the Thames stuff that they had been airing? I don't know what the story is on that? Maybe they short-term had contracts that they decided not to re-new with Brownlow's Photo-play Productions??? That's why the documentaries like HOLLYWOOD, and CINEMA EUROPE, are never shown anymore!

when they "rent" a film to show, don't they often rent a specific version for X many airings? After that they probably start a whole new rental process rather than just re-rent what they might have shown years before.... ???

I don't think TCM has consistently shown the same versions of INTOLERANCE or even THE BIRTH OF A NATION.....

Ed,

Yes, I believe that you correct. They rent ahead of time for so many showings. THE GENERAL was just on a month or so ago, late at night.

One thing I can say, when TCM Broadcast the Thames THE BIRTH OF NATION in Prime-Time two years ago, it surprised the heck out of me. Caught me completely off guard! To be truthful, I didn't even know that there had been a Thames version! The print was just gorgeous too!

Ed,

Yikes! There we go, there we go again! "Pots, and Pans"! "Pots and Pans, in Idle Hands"! Good Grief!

Robert Osborne's inrto, " A Funny, Funny film??? THE GENERAL is so much more of a Drama than a Comedy! And giving It an All and overly dramatic score like this, makes it even more of a Drama! Egad!!!

Why can't TCM run OUR HOSPITALITY fiirst? It was made first, the version has a much better score, and is a heck of allot funnier! People who are not taken with this version of THE GENERAL will never stay tuned for OUR HOSPITALITY to air! What a shame!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings