Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fan Mail

cinemajestic

With so many of our legendary classic film stars gone I was wondering if anyone still tries and succeeds with fan mail to those still with us. Back in the late 80s I was forunate enough to take the initiative to write to some of my favorites and got some great responses and signed photos etc. I got responses from Gene Tierney, Ellen Burstyn, Bette Davis, Anne Bancroft and last but not least the wonderful Kate Hepburn. The few I never got a response from were Lucille Ball, DeHavilland and Jennifer Jones.

Cinemajestic: Perhaps stars are busy...perhaps it was a life of theirs soooo long ago they don't really want to go there.

Stars today just get put on the tabloids. It was such an age of innocence when you could write a movie star and get an autographed picture. My sister & I used to write Jeri Lawrence and send in 10 cents. That company used to send us autographed pictures of movie stars. (Hmmm, looking back, I doubt the stars REALLY autographed thoses 10 cent shots we got).

Arlann: I'm loving every little tidbit you share about Ms. Lamarr. I'm waiting with baited breath to see "WHITE CARGO" tonite.

Back in the days of the studio system, when even the biggest stars were employees, it made sense to cultivate your fans and to respond to them. The reason was that their bosses were keeping stats on who was receiving how much fan mail. The mail was also read by others who wanted to keep score on public opinion trends. Today, we can vote online, back then, it was snail-mail.

Todays stars are freelance project people/temps, where each film is done one deal at a time. After the production is over, the principals disband and look for their next gig. I couldn't see a producer today caring quite so much about monitoring their stars fan mail. Fans nowadays are feared sometimes as potential stalkers. It's a different Hollywood.

Thelma

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings