Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Holden......but not even close to the best of...WHY?

AvaG92260

Hey All,

about a month a ago i did a thread on one of my FAVs...Mr Bill Holden... .Today is William Holdes B-day well u would think being hios bday and all it would be the BEST OF......but geeeeeeeez..look what u play NONE of his hit movies..NOT 1......Sunset Boulevard....Love Is A Many Splendard Thing...the movie with Judy Holiday (sorry if forget the name) my point is there all missing in action..PLUS u played his bombs...lol...i mean movies that didnt even make it THEN at the box office..DUH...i think TCM is wonderful at there documentaries..every time..but boy do they miss the boat when programming some times....actually latley ALOT of the time....,..its like someone who has NO idea about William Holden really just pulled ANY old movies..Just really bad..i wish i knew who the programmer was and honestly latley just BAD choices..not ALL..but ALOT....like the last WEEK of movies..just mainly bad.....get a NEW programmer....bring back the old....lol..i guess...

Well i guess all i can do is hope the old programmer comes back....just makes u go HUH???? Why would they play that... Anyway HAPPY BDAY BILL!!!

ty

AvaG

ps i still adore TCM what it stands for but sheeesh programming need to get it right..please exscuse all my typos i have what they call trigger finger..its still not healed..ty all

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

I would agree that some of his major movies should be included, but I would also like to see the movies that I haven't seen and are not available on DVD.

I find it annoying when there is a star's birthday and all we see is the same popular movies we've seen a thousand times. Sure, include some, but obsure titles that will never see a DVD release may provide our only chance to ever see them.

I'm a huge William Holden fan, and am actually thrilled at the chance to see some of his lesser known films, not available on video.

All of the usual suspects are shown a lot on TCM ("Born Yesterday", "Sunset B", "Stalag" etc) and readily available on home video.

Now, if they could just fix the sound on "Father is a Bachelor"

You are probably not going to see "Love Is A Many Spendored Thing" here because it's a 20th Century Fox picture. They are not always so generous with TCM. The funny thing about your request for "Born Yesterday" (the one with Judy Holliday) is that people complained that it was being shown too often last fall. "Alvarez Kelly" has been worn out in the last month. It was scheduled once and then they showed it as part of the Widmark tribute.

Some of the others are fairly rare shwoings. "Toko-Ri" though has had a regular ride.

There were still some good choices for today.

.but geeeeeeeez..look what u play NONE of his hit movies..NOT 1......Sunset Boulevard....Love Is A Many Splendard Thing...the movie with Judy Holiday (sorry if forget the name) my point is there all missing in action..PLUS u played his bombs..>>

Ava,

As a long time poster and a long time watcher of TCM, I have always had the feeling that TCM rather loves Bill Holden. Since they were able to do the deal with Paramount for the post-1949 films, we have seen *Sunset Blvd* and *Stalag 17* with some frequency the last two years. We also get *Picnic* and *River Kwai* quite often. In the past year we have also had *Golden Boy*.

In addition, Holden has been part of the *Summer Under the Stars*.

Perhaps for his birthday instead of airing his classic films, TCM thought we might enjoy his lesser known films. Those don't get the air time his revered films do so it is nice to see them and be reminded of what a well-rounded, talented man he truly was.

If TCM only showed the classic films of the stars we loved they wouldn't be the TCM we know and love.

I think the BEST movie period William Holden starred in is "The Bridge On the River Kwai"

I wonder how great he felt when Ronald Reagan became president - after all he was Ronalds BEST man.

I was in the first grade when I heard the theme from the movie. Being a kid I thought it was the "AB.s" theme. AB's was a department store a few miles from me that advertise on one of our local channels. They used the River Kwai theme for their department stores theme. Went out of business a few decades ago. I still get a laugh how wrong I was.

You can place this in the "strange stories" catagories.

Iz,

Hog Wash....lol...just playin....heehee... u have a good point about showing his other movies too....and yes i know that TCM does play William Holdens movies...STILL in my opinion and may i dare say i bet u if Bill were alive he as most actors do..DO not want to see there movies that didnt actually do anything for there carreers good...and that im sure he would want to see his BEST movies on of all days his bday!...As every1 knows actors are THE most vain ppl...because they have to be..lol...and as far as TCM playing his other movies isint ironic that they NEVER play these movies they played today....."normally" as u pointed out they play his others most of the time...sooooo to me (and my mom, huge holden fan) and im SURE other fans that they would MOST of the time want to see the good ones NOT the bad.....It just makes scense....And for sure on HIS Bday!

So all is done already and not 1 of them was played...except Country Girl...which btw he won best actor for...

Anyhoot its not just Bill as i said before..to me it just seems latley, honestly i dont think the selection has been so hot (in general)....my opinion....except for the documenatrys and some good ones here and there..iit use to be more consistant from what i remember...again thats just the way i feel...as i said before i still love TCM for what it stands for...ect ect ect....lol..

ty yall

AvaG:-)

hamradio,

yes....Bridge Over River Kwai was a great movie! See....just another example..wouldnt if have been nice to see it today? .....Anyway. its all good...Happy BDay Bill....U still got the girls goin...lol...well this one anyway...heehee

AvaG :-)

i dare say i bet u if Bill were alive he as most actors do..DO not want to see there movies that didnt actually do anything for there carreers good...and that im sure he would want to see his BEST movies on of all days his bday!...As every1 knows actors are THE most vain ppl...because they have to be..>>

From the various interviews that I have read over the years, most actors are not enamored of the films that made their careers so much as they like the films that allowed them to stretch their wings as actors and work beyond the stereotype that they, too often, felt they had become.

William Holden was at his best when he played against type.

I wish TCM would show two of my favorites *The Wild Bunch* and *SOB*.

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> "except Country Girl...which btw he won best actor for..."

>

> Holden, though a fine actor, never won an academy award. Grace Kelly won for actress and Crosby was nominated, but didn't win, for THE COUNTRY GIRL.

> I personally prefer seeing an actors lesser known roles on TCM, since there's little or no chance of seeing them anywhere else.

I love William Holden and am happy to say he did win an Oscar -- for his role as Sefton in Stalag 17.

Di

ty di,

Thank god i dont have to take crdit for that one...lol...my mom told me that he won an acadamy award for Country Girl...because i had said to her the only mvie TCM played that was in his repitoire was Country Girl...but that that one was not not one of my favs by him and she said what do u mean he won an acadamy award for that....lol.....NOT....i figured she would know closer to her era then mine...lol...alot closer...heehee....anyway thank u i will tell my mom she was wrong...

Nice to know that he did win an acadamy award though for Stalag 17...and there ya go another great movie they should have played that day...wow did they miss the boat or what...lol.

Anyhoot ty di,

AvaG :--)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings