Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca

TripleHHH

I don't know why I just can't into this one. Good cast. Didn't it win some awards? The story fails to excite me. It's not suspenseful. Not particularly dramatic. It's a dead fish. THE UNINVITED is kind of similar. I like that better.

Message was edited by: redriver

I think women tend to like this movie more than men. It almost falls into the "gothic romance" style---certainly the novel is an example of the style. The Criterion dvd release is one of my treasures because of all the fantastic extras.

I think part of it may be the casting (or premise) of confident, strong Olivier falling for mousy, shy, plain Fontaine. They just don't seem logical. Maybe women see it differently that's why they like it better. My wife likes it better than I do.

George Sanders (scene stealer if there ever was one) had some great sinister moments in Rebecca. Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers gave me chills. One wanted to shake "the girl" and tell her to get some backbone and drop kick "Dani" all the way to the shore.

I think Joan played the girl just right but Olivier seemed in a rush to get it over with.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I think part of it may be the casting (or premise) of confident, strong Olivier falling for mousy, shy, plain Fontaine. They just don't seem logical. Maybe women see it differently that's why they like it better. My wife likes it better than I do.

Hi Chris! Rebecca is one of my favorite novels. Did you know it was inspired by Jane Eyre? I think that's why the heroine is written that way. However, Du Maurier liked to write about confident women so that's why the unseen "Rebecca" seems so vivid and real---and more interesting. ;)

TripleHHH,

GREAT movie...it was one of Hitchcocks earlier films, but Olivier and Joan Fontaine...great! I happen to own this one it is part of my collection! A little trivia for for ya, Olivier from the time he got the role wanted His wife the incredibly beautiful Vivian Leigh for the lead role, Hitchcock let her test but in the end no way he said basiclly that Viv was just to beautiful for the part and that noone is going to beleive that she is this moust girl noone wants......just isint going to work...well we all know the end Joan got the role, at great dismay to Olivier i mus add and she prooved to be PERFECT in it, and Hitchcock was right....

Olivier was known for always haveing Viv around wanting her in his movies..making a fuss if she wasnt.....but i mean can u really blame him....lol...

Anyway just a little trivia for ya....Enjoy Rebecca...i know i do every time i watch it

AvaG :-)

Fred,

i must add i TOTALLY agree with Mr.Hitchcock and u as well...lol...heehee..

Vivain was sooooooo beautiful..my gosh....i think the best way to put it is she reminded me of a porcelin doll....just flawless...but very SEXY eyes....lol......i loooooved her CAT eyes...heehee

AvaG ;-)

*"Thoughts on this film ?"*

It's a heckuva lot more involving than *Vertigo". That film needed "Mrs. Danvers".

Seriously, it is a wonderful film and well worth checking out. It is "The Essential" on May 3rd.

Kyle In Hollywood

My Cinefile group screened a print of this movie last year and I've got to say it's one of my all time favorites. The sets & lighting are even better, more imposing on film than TV.

My feelings are that "Rebecca" and "Now Voyager" are two films that deal with common female insecurity issues, making them very popular with the ladies.

Funny, I always picture Vivian Leigh as the first Mrs DeWinter.

TikiSoo,

Great points!!! I like the one about Viv for sure....lol.....absolulty she would be the first Ms.DeWinter....heehee....and i bet Hitchcock thought so to..alas....no Vivan Leigh, Joan Fontaine who i must say is just LOVLEY....a very good actress and lovley as well....

ty TikiSoo, again great points made!

AvaG :-)

My feelings are that "Rebecca" and "Now Voyager" are two films that deal with common female insecurity issues, making them very popular with the ladies.

Very well said, Tiki. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I also believe the popularity of the film is very much due to the popularity of the novel. "Rebecca" is a book many women have read and will read for years to come.

Rebecca is a solid Hitch film for me. I like the gothic look and atmosphere of the film, Joan Fontaine's emotional peformance, and the supporting peformances by Judith Anderson, George Sanders, and Florence Bates. I'm not into the story that much and Laurence Olivier doesn't do much for me in the film. I also don't consider Rebecca to be a true Hitch vision. I wish that it were.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings