Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking Foward To Some QUALITY Time With Frank........

AvaG92260

Hey Yall

I just saw TCM promote there 35 films including music shows..ect tribute ...to the one and ONLY Frank Sinatra!!! This feast of Frank....heehee...takes place in May...Cant Wait! Being the Sinatra fan i am really looking foward to it!!

Just wanted to give those of u who didnt know a heads up!

Hope u all enjoy..i know i will!!

tyyall

AvaG ;-) btw....Frank was the love of Ava Gardners Life and visa versa! heehee

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

hey GeneKGirl,

First off i think Gene Kelly isTHE greatest song and dance man ever!... There was always the talk comparing he and Fred Astaire...to me Gene Kelly i liked better then Fred...in every way! I absolutly loved him in An American In Paris! I loved Gene in all his movies.....i could watch him dance forever...and was he gorgoues! Oh my.....lol..

Anyway......Pal Joey was GREAT! You are going to love it.....as well u will love Rita Hayworth and Kim Novaks performances...theres a scene in it when Kim sings "Funny Valentine" beautiful!

And dont worry i am SURE in the 35 movies ect that they play, u can almost guarantee that Pal Joey will be one of them! Certainly one of my favs by Frank...but i am a HUGE Sinatra fan so i like em all.....heehee

Enjoy!

AvaG :-)

Hey ILoveRay,

Great to hear others out there are as excited as i to see all of Franks work! I call it a feast of Frank....heehee......i just adored him! I mean hey if he was ok for my girl Ava..he must be ok....lol..

ty again

Enjoy!

AvaG :-)

What's up, Liveliest Gal in Town -- You're a big troublemaker, CineBabe. That's why I like you, girl. ;) Thanks for the love, Love.

Hi, Ava -- I'm curious to see some of Frankie's films in May. I like Sinatra as an actor. I think he's underrated.

Hi ya Frank!,

I do agree that he was underrated but also keep in mind he won the acadamy award for From Here To Eternity, so i feel he was appreciated as well as The Man With The Golden Arm was great...i looved him in Guys and Dolls to....Sooooo many good ones..

Cant wait to see all of them..

AvaG

Hey there, Ava! -- I do agree that he was underrated but also keep in mind he won the acadamy award for From Here To Eternity, so i feel he was appreciated as well as The Man With The Golden Arm was great...i looved him in Guys and Dolls to....Sooooo many good ones..

I'm not sure how many people in the classic film community consider Sinatra to be a good actor. It's rarely said. Of the films I have seen him in, he has reminded me of Humphrey Bogart, and I love Bogie.

manwiththegoldenarm1.jpg

manwiththegoldenarm2.jpg

manwiththegoldenarm3.jpg

manwiththegoldenarm4.jpg

manwiththegoldenarm5.jpg

Hi ya Frank!

yes i do agree alot of ppl did not consider him a great actor or maybe even a good actor..but u know what i say... so what...i mean hes FRANK SINATRA!......lol.....my point is that was not his cup of tea....i think he prooved he could do it...which i know he wanted to do..and as i said he prooved it by winning the award...which btw if it wasnt for AVA...heehee...he never would have even gotten the role if it wasnt for her..She made the call to the director and she begged to please give Frank the role role, being Ava Gardner well she did have mega clout.....lol....he obliged Ava and Frank not only got the roll but he kiiled it...and won the award...cool story huh? Love conquers all....heehee

BTW.......loooooove those pics ...are those from Man with the golden Arm or Pal Joey...i know Kim was in Pal Joey..but i think she was in The Man with the golden arm to...so i think there from that am i right?

Oh my goodness! Did you finally watch The Man with the Golden Arm???????

Frank would have been honored to be compared to Bogie, because I think he learned the most about the craft from him and Spencer Tracy.

I've often flet that had he concentrated on acting instead of music, he could have been up there with those guys more consistently. But I wouldn't sacrifice his music for anything so I guess he made the right choice after all.

Hiya, Ava -- yes i do agree alot of ppl did not consider him a great actor or maybe even a good actor..but u know what i say... so what...i mean hes FRANK SINATRA!......lol.....my point is that was not his cup of tea....i think he prooved he could do it...which i know he wanted to do..and as i said he prooved it by winning the award

Frankie's legendary singer status will always overshadow any of his other accomplishments, but I really do like him as an actor.

which btw if it wasnt for AVA...heehee...he never would have even gotten the role if it wasnt for her..She made the call to the director and she begged to please give Frank the role role, being Ava Gardner well she did have mega clout.....lol....he obliged Ava and Frank not only got the roll but he kiiled it...and won the award...cool story huh?

I didn't know this. Thank you for the lesson. I need quite a few, by the way.

Love conquers all....heehee

Most of the time.

BTW.......loooooove those pics ...are those from Man with the golden Arm or Pal Joey...i know Kim was in Pal Joey..but i think she was in The Man with the golden arm to...so i think there from that am i right?

Yes, the caps are from The Man with the Golden Arm.

Bonjour, Missy G -- Oh my goodness! Did you finally watch The Man with the Golden Arm???????

After such a reaction as that, I'm now wishing that I had. It looks like I've got another film to watch. I may need to watch it after I watch a certain trashy film. ;)

Frank would have been honored to be compared to Bogie, because I think he learned the most about the craft from him and Spencer Tracy.

I didn't know this, either.

Bogie wore anguish so well and the Sinatra films I have seen to date have him playing characters with great anguish, and I feel he wears it similarly well. I think Sinatra's delivery is also similar to Bogie. He's rather quick and emotional; very choppy. Spencer Tracy has a smooth flow. Even though Tracy's characters may turn emotional, he remains in complete control of his dialogue. I prefer Bogie and Frank's spittin' style, although I greatly admire Tracy.

I've often flet that had he concentrated on acting instead of music, he could have been up there with those guys more consistently. But I wouldn't sacrifice his music for anything so I guess he made the right choice after all.

Quite possibly.

I didn't know this, either.

Bogie wore anguish so well and the Sinatra films I have seen to date have him playing characters with great anguish, and I feel he wears it similarly well. I think Sinatra's delivery is also similar to Bogie. He's rather quick and emotional; very choppy. Spencer Tracy has a smooth flow. Even though Tracy's characters may turn emotional, he remains in complete control of his dialogue. I prefer Bogie and Frank's spittin' style, although I greatly admire Tracy.

I never thought about it that way but it's true. Spence is maintaining the facade, until it's time for the character to crack, but he was often cast in somewhat authoritative roles which didn't always give him leeway to crack. Maybe that's why I find him so awesome in Fury and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde because we get both in one role.

Frank was a loose cannon but learned remarkably well how to contain his emotional power in scenes, saving stuff for the right moment. I like his quiet moments best because I can never tell just when the explosion's going to come but I know it's gotta come at any moment. He has a weary, ravaged face, too---all three did and those are great "acting faces" to have.

Frank once said that for him acting was simply reacting. Just react to what the other person says, or does. A little simplistic perhaps, but whatever works ... I guess if he ever had a soliloquy he probably just shrugged his shoulders and sang a song.

Frank,

Cool i picked the right one....heehee........yuppers good acting from the man they called ..the man with the golden voice!

as far as the lessons u need to learn.....ayntime hun! I aim to please....lol...no seriously when it comes to Frank i happen to know quite alot of little tid bits....as i mentioned before my dad and he were freinds way baaack in the day....so my dad had some great stories about Frank....he only had the best things to say about him though...with all the mobster talk that surrounded Frank.....he did have his involvement with the underground....all in all he was a VERY generous, beyond a fault...very funny, quick witted man ....and loyal to his freinds and family till the end...including the love of his life Ava..:-)

Anyhoot im here if u need anything else....lol..

AvaG ;-)

I never thought about it that way but it's true. Spence is maintaining the facade, until it's time for the character to crack, but he was often cast in somewhat authoritative roles which didn't always give him leeway to crack. Maybe that's why I find him so awesome in Fury and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde because we get both in one role.

Tracy's manic performance as Jekyll & Hyde is definitely one of my favorites of his. He really lets loose in that film. Tracy was an actor's actor, a true professional, a perfectionist. This doesn't always work with me because I feel it's too sharp, too fine. Bogie and Sinatra's performances often feel more real to me. They are more regular guy to me.

Frank was a loose cannon but learned remarkably well how to contain his emotional power in scenes, saving stuff for the right moment. I like his quiet moments best because I can never tell just when the explosion's going to come but I know it's gotta come at any moment.

I've been very impressed by Sinatra's ability to turn the emotional switch on and off. One second he is effectively boiling and the next he's drowning in his own emotional pain. This is the biggest reason why I like Sinatra as an actor. He possessed exceptional emotional range. Not bad for a "crooner."

He has a weary, ravaged face, too---all three did and those are great "acting faces" to have.

Excellent observation and point. Bogie's face really lent itself to his playing the cynical, tough guy roles. He was no pretty boy, and I think this is why many guys cite Bogie as one of their favorites.

I think Tracy's career didn't necessarily take the most artistic route. Had he stayed for a long haul at Warners or freelanced sooner he might have carved a different niche and done more noirish, complex roles he was capable of. But he had a family to support and for whatever other reasons, chose to make going to work as comfortable an ordeal as possible. MGM was a good studio for that and they respected him enough to provide him with their considered best roles, mostly patriarchal and authoritative and soon the public came to regard him (still does) as something like what's carved on Mount Rushmore.

Bogie and Frankie were more apt to be scrappy about their career decisions, and, of course, Bogie was provided with ample scrapping opportunities with Jack Warner as his boss.

Frank was at Metro, too, but when his music career dove into the can it may have been one of the best things ever to happen to him because when he came back he came back more of an artist and less willing to compromise.

I think Tracy's career didn't necessarily take the most artistic route. Had he stayed for a long haul at Warners or freelanced sooner he might have carved a different niche and done more noirish, complex roles he was capable of. But he had a family to support and for whatever other reasons, chose to make going to work as comfortable an ordeal as possible. MGM was a good studio for that and they respected him enough to provide him with their considered best roles, mostly patriarchal and authoritative and soon the public came to regard him (still does) as something like what's carved on Mount Rushmore.

Tracy is a cerebral actor. His performances tend to be very intellectual and I appreciate them on that level. He rarely affects me emotionally, though. Bogie and Sinatra affect me emotionally, hence I like them more.

Bogie and Frankie were more apt to be scrappy about their career decisions, and, of course, Bogie was provided with ample scrapping opportunities with Jack Warner as his boss.

Frank was at Metro, too, but when his music career dove into the can it may have been one of the best things ever to happen to him because when he came back he came back more of an artist and less willing to compromise.

I'm sorely lacking in knowing and understanding the off-screen stories of performers, so I thank you for the knowledge, Teach.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings