Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Voice-Overs/Narrations in Movies

Poinciana

Four that come to mind as great contributions to the story:

Bill Holden's narration as Joe Gillis in Sunset Blvd.

Diane Varsi's touching narration as Allison MacKenzie in Peyton Place.

Eleanor Parker as Lucy Tibbetts in Above and Beyond added so much to the story. Mrs. Tibbetts telling her husband's story thru her point of view.

Gil Stratton's in Stalag 17.

Thanks a million for that quote! Also, who could forget (if they ever saw it) The Phantom of the Hearth. Another story narrated by Jean. I could be wrong, but I believe it takes us back to Ralph in his teenage years in the Fifties. It was priceless also.

The last time I saw it was a zillion years ago on Public Television. Please TCM find this piece of Americana and air it!

I like voice over. At the same time, it can detract from cinematic values. A film teacher might say, Don't tell what happened. Show it. Pictures; not words. But I'm not a film teacher, so here goes.

I like the opening sequence of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, with Don Lockwood relating the big success of his early years, as the footage depicts just the opposite. Very clever! Woody Allen opens and closes ANNIE HALL effectively. But there's not much narration throughout. The format so fits noir, it's almost expected. DETOUR and OUT OF THE PAST have been appropriately cited. MURDER, MY SWEET lifts some Chandler right out of the text.

My favorite? "Me. Walter Neff. 35. No visible scars. Until now, that is." DOUBLE INDEMNITY. The best of the genre, and one of the greatest of all movies. The narration is slick, stylish, and so cold it makes the hair stand out on your neck. Some of the best screenwriting I've seen (heard.)

"And that was when you came in, Keyes."

Message was edited by: redriver

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings