Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Stepford Wives" = doh?

FredCDobbs

It's on right now.

It has been on for 54 minutes and nothing has happened yet. It just shows life in the suburbs. So what?

The lady said, ?Does it ever bother you that the only organization in Stepford is sexually archaic ??

Is that what she said?

What does that mean? Does that mean the Federal Government had not yet banned men from having men's clubs yet, by 1975?

The husbands work hard to support their families and to be able to buy an expensive home in that neighborhood. The wives are a little bored.

Ok... now the first joke... a black family is moving in, and they had the first Chinese restaurant around, so they are ?liberal?, Lol, like the suburban family in ?The President?s Analyst?. Lol, so this is a comedy film? With the first joke finally coming 1 hour and 4 minutes into the film?

No, don?t tell me the ?secret?. I?ll tell you the ?secret?.

You know what this is? It?s a liberal-writer?s big-city-dweller?s attack on middle-class suburban life. And now I know why so many people in San Francisco raved about this film when it first came out in 1975. San Francisco in the mid-?70s.... freako city, women with hairy armpits. Guys with liberal checkered polyester leisure suits and long sideburns, and Jane Fonda giving anti-Nixon speeches.

There is NOTHING in the water. The neighborhood is all ANGLO, hard-working upper-middle class, thus no crime, no hippies, no dopers, no street bums and no "others". I've been in places like that. I've lived in places like that.

If people want to live in downtown Manhattan or Detriot or L.A., then that's fine.

These two ladies are complaining about: 1) having nothing to do all day, while their husbands work and slave all day long, 2) having to do ?housework???

Well, doh? Why don?t they just go on a cross country crime spree and become Thelma and Louise? Or they could just get a divorce, go to college, and become attorneys themselves and work for a living like their husbands do.

*40 minutes into Gone With the Wind, the War was on, Scarlett?s first husband was dead, and the Yankees were heading toward Atlanta.*

Hey, that sounds like an exciting movie. I should be watching it.

Someone actually raved about Stepford when it came out? I haven't checked the box offices figures, but I remember it as being universally panned. And I was reading the San Francisco papers then. Seems as I recall it's treatment of sexual equality themes as being considered pretty cliched even then.

Hey, you know what this dame needs? She needs to go to work and support the family and pay the big house note, and let her husband lounge around the house all day and play around with his photography hobby and do nothing but grip and complain.

This woman is a selfish greedy neurotic. She?s talking to the art gallery owner like a child. This woman is a ****.

The guy needs to dump this woman, and the woman needs to go out into the world on her own and support herself. She evidently was pampered as a child and now she is just bored. I?ll bet when they lived in New York she went to museums, theaters, fancy restaurants, photography shows, etc., etc., all at her husband?s expense. Now there is no theater, no museums, no places exciting to goof off in the suburbs, and she?s bored.

I'm glad TCM is showing this film. I never would have watched it on a channel with commercials.

Lol, this final sequence is funny. This is just like the small city I last lived in. When they put in the new super-Wal-mart store, the wives of the doctors, lawyers, etc got all dressed up like this to go shopping. It was a hoot. The rest of our wives wore more casual clothes.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings