Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Example of how to find early or the beginning of pages and threads

hamradio

On another thread topic and thanks to an idea inspired by lzcutter, I experimented with the very right last set of digits in the Address http://forums.tcm link within the Search Engine and I got to the very first page and thread in the General Discussions forum.

For example to go to page 566 (at the time this thread was writtern) click on the link below

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/forum.jspa?forumID=161&start=8475

When new pages are added, you will have to increment the number 8475 to reach the beginning.

Now to go the the very first thread, click on

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=1030&tstart=8475

The General Discussions started out with a thread "Does anyone know about the dog movie that was on Thursday evening?"

You should be able to apply this technique to other forums but you will have to notice the last part of the web link address and how it incremet and decrement when you click on each page.

By noticing the dates you can even go to your old replies if you can remember when you posted them as long as the TCM Administrator has not deleted them.

This will work in reverse as well. Try incrementing or decrementing in 1's 10's 100's etc.

To long time members you might come across past forgotten members. If the threads are of a certain age, they will be archived and you cannot reply to any of the threads. Hope this is a solution to the Search problem but it will be a little time consuming but if you got patience it will pay off.

Happy Hunting everyone. A special thanks to lzcutter for inspiring me to experiment with this.

I would like to encourage everyone interested in the early days of this board, interested in film history, interested in TCM to take some time and walk down memory lane in the early days of this board.

It is a great read and very addicting.

Hamradio,

Thank you for showing us the way back to the future.

Some of the very discussions we are having today they were having in 2002.

Some of the problems we are having they were having in 2003.

But it all makes a fascinating read and gives this message board much more depth than we tend realize in the day to day posting here.

I forgot to clarify that you will have to manually edit the numbers in the Address bar. Point the mouse pointer at the right end of the last digit and double click (the first click highlight the address and the second sets it back to normal) Trying to edit without double clicking will cause the entire address line to disappear.

You can then backspace and edit.

lzcutter: I did just learned one thing from one of the old threads. I had no idea that Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine were SISTERS.

Yep, that's pretty trippy. Very interesting to go a-browsing. All those posters of yore --- gone! Or perhaps some have changed their names. It might be fun to revive a few of these.

Fantasy---what if the software malfunctioned and no one was able to start a thread for a month. We would be forced to go back and revive old threads to refresh subject matter. Like I said---fantasy.

*"Very interesting to go a-browsing. All those posters of yore --- gone!"* - laffite

On "page 566" (aka June 2002) I see messages from a "mongo" and a "finnie, moira" who are both (thankfully) still with us. It is a trip to see what has come and gone before us.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle

Sandyk is still here and now posts (I think) as our good pal SandyKPax and Ed L now posts under drednm. Gagman is still here too.

Ham,

Can you do a link for the beginning of the Hot Topics Archive?

I am loving this trip down memory lane!

scsu1975 you think the thread is wierd look at the movie name and cast of whats playing on the Sundance Channel at 12:00am

6ixtynin9 starring Latita Panyopas, Tasanawaiai Ongartittichai, and Black Phomtong. (is that something a sunbather wears?)

Glad you like it. What made you stop using your original screen name, its neat and catchy?

I notice reading the older threads that the achiving started around Jan 2003 - Dec 2002, does this mean that these threads will be a pernament fixture on TCM?

I came across a unique screen name once in a blue moon Guest - is that a screen name or did TCM once allowed people sign on as a Guest to leave replies? Here is an example -

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=54801&tstart=7170

*"I came across a unique screen name once in a blue moon Guest..."* - hamradio

Hello 'ham'.

I think the preponderance of postings by "Guest" is the result of poster's account having been deleted. Sometime between 2003 and 2005, the Message Boards underwent a major overhaul and most members were "forced" to register anew with new "names". (This is also why poster 'SandyK' became 'sandykaypax'.) It was days before one could re-activate an existing account - if at all - so alot of members just registered with new monikers. I think I tried to activate an account I had already started but couldn't get it to work so I started anew.

So while the postings of former members are still available to be read, their accounts no longer exist. The forum software assigns the posting to "Guest". And "Guest" is used for every non-existent account. All those "Guest"s are multiple former users.

Kyle In Hollywood

• 4 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings