Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Friday, April 18 rocked!!! Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

markbeckuaf

Wow!!! Daytime on Friday was out of control, man!!! Early talkies, pre-codes, B films!!! That's what I'm talking about, that is TCM to me!!! COQUETTE, NIGHT PARADE both from 1929, THE FALL GUY from 1930, 2 of those 3 I have never seen before, that rocks! The rest of the lineup is great too, including LILLY TURNER a GREAT pre-code from '33, and HEAT LIGHTNING from '34, I'd never seen before, plus a couple of B's from the early 40's later in the day that were also first-timers to me! I had to work, natch, so didn't get to enjoy it in full, but recorded the entire day to relish this weekend!!! Wow!!! Now, this is the kind of daytime programming I'd love to see more of! I can swallow the 70s, 80s, 90s stuff in the primetime better if I get treats like this during the daytime. Keep 'em coming, TCM!!!!

I totally agree!

I'm watching *Three Men on a Horse* 1936 right now. It's an amusing little film with Frank McHugh, Joan Blondell, Guy Kibbee, Allen Jenkins, Teddy Hart and Sam Levene. I love these kinds of films.

I did a lot of recording myself. Looking forward to seeing *The Fall Guy* 1930 with Mae Clarke and Ned Sparks. Also I've never seen *Heat Lightning* 1934. That has an amazing line up with Ann Dvorak, Aline MacMahon, Lyle Talbot, Frank McHugh, Glenda Farrell and Ruth Donnelly.

I recorded *Highway West* 1941 and rewatched *Lilly Turner* 1933. I love it when TCM sets aside a day for these lesser known films.

I also thought it was cool how they wedged in *Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone* 1950 the other night during the "Riding the Rails" theme.

And let's not forget *Suburbia* (1984) last night. Now that's what I'm talking about!, a very bad 80s movie. Pure torture. Now don't keep those coming, TCM!

But keeping with the spirit of this thread, *Delinquent Daughters* (44) was a nice schedule change. Also, *Bluebeard's Eighth Wife* (38) coming on today.

If TCM insists on showing newer films, then the way they programmed yesterday was just right, mixing the older films with the newer ones, on the same day. That gave all of us some good films to watch from our favorite eras.

I actually saw the ?new? movies ?The Stepford Wives? and ?Strangers When We Meet? for the first time, and I liked them. But that was after a full day of seeing great old classics, so I was in a good mood at the end of the day.

I actually hated "The Stepford Wives", but I enjoyed hating it. Lol :)

I agree - a great day of programming. Wouldn't you know..I was out of empty discs so spent the day scrambling around and trying to find discs with room to add onto.

It was like a reunion of old friends, Glenda, Joan, Guy, Frank, and Allen.

I will be watching them over the next two weeks and hope there are more days planned like this one in the future.

B

Fred - I enjoyed hating Stepfords Wives, also. Didn't you think she was going to make it for a minute? I mean, she clunked the creepy husband with the fire iron and I really thought she could take out the Disney weirdo. The worst part was that he was holding her dog.

I was unable to record NIGHT PARADE and THE FALL GUY :-(

I am willing to trade other early talkie titles I have for those two films.

By the way, HEAT LIGHTNING is an excellent film. One of the last pre-code films Warner Bros. made before production code enforcement.

Scottman--Shoot me a PM if you wanna trade for those 2.

So glad to see all the responses here, wow!!! I hope TCM will keep up this type of programming during the weekdays daytime!!! Wow, I'm really looking forward to watching HEAT LIGHTNING now, and wow, great casts and great or just plain cool films!!! I'm also looking forward to watching that 39 B musical (ON YOUR TOES) and the 41 B film with Brenda Marshall and Arthur Kennedy--HIGHWAY WEST! Entire day was awesome!

Way to go, mark! Thanks for this thread. With all the discussion of programming on the boards(I'm as bad as the next guy), I was hoping someone would mention this good day too.I'd posted down in Pre-Code very early Friday morning, but not having seen any of these, didn't know what to expect. Sure looked good to me though and I was not disappointed.

From 1929 to 1941, the unifying factor is apparently writer/director/producer George Abbott (if there's another one, someone let me know), but I don't know if this is a special occasion relating to him. I'd wondered if it was Frank McHugh's birthday for awhile, but it wasn't his either. Abbott wrote or co-wrote the source material for all these except *Too Many Girls,* which he directed.

*Coquette* Not sure about those accents, and guess its reputation isn't too great, but I really liked this one. Reminded of a couple Southern belles in the decade to come.

*Night Parade* What I really took away from this one is one scene. The father fears his son has fallen in with crooks and folds his hands to pray. If they'd held that too long, it wouldn't have worked, but it did, and you're left with that sorrow on his father's face.

*The Fall Guy* Bit of a filmed play, but good. Mae Clarke goes without saying and Ned Sparks is becoming even more of a favorite. Will be keeping my eye out for more Jack Mulhall.

*Lilly Turner* And they worried about morals in the pre-Codes. This one taught me two valuable life lessons: 1) never trust a guy whose name rhymes with "turkey," and 2) no matter how right the idea seems at the time, never try to kiss and drive at the same time. Look forward to seeing this again. More Chatterton! ( *Female* ).

I'd been looking forward to seeing *Heat Lightning* with Ann Dvorak, but missed both it and *Straight Is The Way.*

*Three Men On A Horse* is pretty much another filmed play, but a lot of fun and with some of my favorite character actors. According to "lynne" in a user review over on TCMDb, the crucial race here is an actual running *SPOILER ALERT* of the Metropolitan Derby in which Equipoise was disqualified and Mr. Khayyam won. Equipoise did win the Metroploitan in 1932 and 1933. (Mr. Khayyam won the American Derby in 1933).

*On Your Toes* I want to save for another post, which I feel it deserves, and I'll throw in *Too Many Girls* there too. I am still wondering what is and is not a B movie (and whether anyone actually cares) even after reading the thread addressing the subject.

*Highway West* is another based on "Heat Lightning." I was impressed by Brenda Marshall here and surprised I didn't remember her from any other movies.

I'll even throw in *Nick Carter, Master Detective* (1939) that preceded this run. Directed by Jacques Tourneur and starring Walter Pidgeon. Was that plane crash as good as I found it? I didn't even try to analyze how it was done while I was watching it, just took the total effect as it happened.

What a great day it was!

*I also thought it was cool how they wedged in Mrs. O'Malley and Mr. Malone 1950 the other night during the "Riding the Rails" theme.*

Did you watch it? It wasn't bad, although the theme song was a bit annoying and is still in my head. I can't recall (fortunately) the horrifying song that Marjorie Main sang. Interesting to see James Whitmore in a comic role, and as a womanizer! Robert Osborne mentioned that MGM was grooming Whitmore to be the next Spencer Tracy (yeah, good luck with that). But I did watch Whitmore closely and on several occasions, I could see a similarity. It was hysterical the way the dead body kept moving around the train.

No I recorded it. I'm going to watch it tomorrow night.

I like movies set on trains for some reason. I like Marjorie Main too. Not sure I want to here her sang though. Thanks for the warning! Interesting about Whitmore being groomed as a Spencer Tracy type.

I think it will be a nice light way to finish off the weekend. I see it has Ann Dvorak and Dorothy Malone in it too.

Robert Osborne mentioned that MGM was grooming Whitmore to be the next Spencer Tracy (yeah, good luck with that).

Whitmore's primary function was to be dropped into parts that Tracy refused to play, with the implicit threat to Tracy that he was expendable when his contract came up for renewal. Studios often signed "road-company" versions of those stars who were "difficult" for just that purpose (obviously, they found other roles for the junior players to justify the expense of keeping them under contract).

Whitmore's a wonderful actor, one of my favorites, but at that stage in his career he was no Spencer Tracy (but, then, who was, or has been since, though Morgan Freeman is the nearest contemporary equivalent).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings