Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaveGirl

Elusive Stars

On 5/17/2018 at 2:16 PM, spence said:

Despite his dynamic on stage performances, ELVIS was fairly shy in person

You are so right about E, as the Memphis Mafia used to call him, Spence. I think without his mother's continual praise of him he would never have recorded his little disc at the Sam Phillips' Sun studios as a present for Gladys, and without it, and Sam's idea to find a white boy who sounded black for recording purposes of the time, Elvis would have continued being a truck driver with long sideburns that he patterned after Rudolph Valentino! Thanks, Spence!

On 5/15/2018 at 9:20 PM, Arsan404 said:

Joan McCracken. Great dancer, good actress, and not a bad singer. She was terrific in Good News, and her "Pass That Peace Pipe" number is a showstopper. She preferred the stage, but I wish she'd made more film musicals.

That is an excellent choice being that her movie career just died out after her great performance in said film. Love that number and I'd totally forgotten about her. I wonder if she purposely left films and if it had anything to do with her divorce from Fosse? Thanks for a really good example of an aborted movie career after a sensational start.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:48 AM, spence said:

*"THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD: FRANCIS (Albert) SINATRA-(l95-98) always said everytime Judy sang, she died a little bit more and more  unquote   She was barely 4'11 & 1/2 as well

Really? I'm talking about her height, as Jud Holliday seemed much taller. Not quite sure what Old Blue Eyes might have meant by that, but maybe he was drinking with Dino when he said it? Thanks, Spence.

Addendum: Spence, not that I believe everything I read online but the IMDB has Judy's height at 5'8" which is a lot taller than 4'11". Wait, could you be talking about Judy Garland and NOT Judy Holliday since that seems more logical, especially with the singing bit?

14 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Carole Landis springs to mind. It is unfortunate that her death came about so prematurely. I think my favorite thing I've seen of hers is the obscure 1946 comedy, "It Shouldn't Happen to a Dog" (also starring Allyn Joslyn, a somewhat underrated performer). Landis and Josyln were very well matched in this movie, I thought. I don't remember who it was who said this (it might have been TopBilled), but I seem to remember a comment saying that Landis might have made a good transition to television. Something I found interesting.

Yes, I think she would have been a natural for a TV sitcom. She really would have worked in the Mr. & Mrs. North TV series, or The Thin Man TV series where she could have used her talent for comedy with the mystery genre. She also would have turned up in special guest roles playing dance hall girls and saloon owners in classic TV westerns. You can just see her doing that. There's no doubt in my mind she would have been a dependable presence on TV in the 50s and 60s.

• Like 2