Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Big Screen Movies and Cinemark / Rave theaters

For the first time in over four years of TCM Big Screen movies, I had to walk out tonight. I was at a local Cinemark theater, showing Sunset Blvd. I was up to the point where Joe Gillis arrives at Norma Desmond's house. There was a noticeable "stutter" in the movie, like watching Youtube over a slow internet connection. It was very noticeable during the car chase, as if the projector was skipping frames.

This is not the first time that I have experienced presentation problems at Cinemark. Last fall, I tried Blade Runner 2049 at two different Cinemark theaters, but the sound was so loud that it hurt my ears. I walked out both of those times too.

Tonight I walked out and asked for my money back. The manager wanted to give me a free pass, but I told him to forget about it. I'm seeing Sunset Blvd, and he thinks a free pass to Avengers 29 or Jurassic Park 37 is going to make up for this?

I hope that if you are seeing the Big Screen Classics that you don't have the experience that I did. But Cinemark has had problems too many times. If you have had a problem with their presentation, write to Fathom Events and let them know like I did.

These movies are too great to put up with substandard projection. But it looks like we have few choices with the stranglehold the chains have on movie theaters. I guess that's why DVD was invented. But I love seeing these movies in a dark theater.

What kind of experience have you had with Big Screen classics at AMC theaters? I also have one of those near me, so I would give that one a try.