Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pride and Prejudice (1940) A TRUE Romance!

Mignonne...I couldn't agree more. This version is the best because the spirit of Elizabeth and Darcy are captured by Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. Greer, especially, is superb. I also think Edmund Gwynne as Mr Bennett was perfection.

greer_gar2.jpg

*I love the Greer version also, but I think that Ms butterscotchgree is a wee bit little prejudiced about which version of Pride and Prejudice that she like best !*

kenny darlin! how are ya? im sorry, but greer doesnt show her "gams" in this movie. heehee! ;)

i may be just a wee bit prejudice, but who isnt these days? heehee! you know you think this is the best version. :)

good early afternoon bronxie and sweet april!!!!

yes i think the other versions are good, but none of the other actors with the exception of Colin Firth could capture the characters as thoroughly as i expected them to do. i especially loved mary boland and edmund gwynn as mr. and mrs. bennett. they got under each other's skin so much that they couldnt help but love each other. heehee!....sort of like lizzy and darcy. ;) they did a great job with their parts and in the other versions i kept wanting to see them play the parents and donald sutherland in the most recent version just didnt cut it. im not much of a donald sutherland fan, but i didnt mind him in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but to me he wasnt the best choice for being Mr. Bennett.

good day honey boy!

*You have seen every Pride and Prejudice, ButterscotchLIZA? Could you talk about what you like and dislike about each of them. I have yet to see any of them nor do I plan on watching any of them, but I'd love to hear your opinions.*

yes i have! as soon as i saw the original and read the book, i told myself that i had to see EVERY version to compare them all. one of the things i dearly looooooved about the Colin Firth version was that they showed the wedding at the end! a double wedding between jane and lizzy. sighs!!!

i just loved actually getting to see the wedding! it is always so exciting.

dont get me wrong, i love how the original ended.....how romantic! i cry every time! heehee!

i didnt like the UK production very much. it wasnt the same as the 1995 and 1940 versions. it just didnt have the spirit i wanted it to have, plus i had no idea who the people were in it. heehee! that might have a little something to do with it.

the most recent one in 2005....how do i put this....i have to be honest. i fell alseep watching it. heehee! it was an accident! honest! i didnt want to, but keira knightly just ruined my elizabeth bennett for me. although i did like the love scene in the end when they finally confess their love for each other, but even that scene wasnt as great as the original for me. matthew macfadyen didnt have much chemistry with keira and they just didnt click like larry and greer did especially, and like colin and jennifer ehle also.

i have also seen the 2003 version, which is the same thing except it is modernized. i didnt like it at all. it was set in the modern day with modern clothes and the language....oh! kam heskin, who played elizabeth bennett wasnt half bad, and neither was orlando seale as mr, darcy, but you just cant comapre this version to any of the other ones, b/c it is SO different. it was cute as a modern love story, but not as the Pride and Prejudice i know set in the 1700s.

Have you been hiding in the bushes?

one of the things i dearly looooooved about the Colin Firth version was that they showed the wedding at the end! a double wedding between jane and lizzy. sighs!!! i just loved actually getting to see the wedding! it is always so exciting.

There's a wedding in Pride and Prejudice? I'm definitely not watching it now. No way, no how.

the most recent one in 2005....how do i put this....i have to be honest. i fell alseep watching it. heehee! it was an accident! honest! i didnt want to, but keira knightly just ruined my elizabeth bennett for me. although i did like the love scene in the end when they finally confess their love for each other, but even that scene wasnt as great as the original for me.

There's a confession of love in the film, too? Do you really expect me to watch this trash? I think it's time for me to watch No Country for Old Men again.

no, im trying to get this ending to my sememster over and done with. heehee! sorry im gonna be around more now.

There's a wedding in Pride and Prejudice? I'm definitely not watching it now. No way, no how.

yes and thats the best part! oh im sorry, you ABSOLUTELY cant ruin your reputation now can you? sheesh!

There's a confession of love in the film, too? Do you really expect me to watch this trash? I think it's time for me to watch No Country for Old Men again.

ew! not on MY pride and prejudice thread you arent! frankie how could you even mention such a trashy movie on this thread? heehee! and you have already seen it, come on you already slipped a couple times darlin.

no, im trying to get this ending to my sememster over and done with. heehee! sorry im gonna be around more now.

Worst news of the day.

yes and thats the best part! oh im sorry, you ABSOLUTELY cant ruin your reputation now can you? sheesh!

If I'm watching prim and priss weddings, I'm dunfer. I hope you are happy about killing me off.

ew! not on MY pride and prejudice thread you arent! frankie how could you even mention such a trashy movie on this thread? heehee! and you have already seen it, come on you already slipped a couple times darlin.

You're right, I have seen No Country for Old Men a couple times. Would you like me to post some caps on your thread? I could find the bloodiest, if you like. :P

*no, im trying to get this ending to my sememster over and done with. heehee! sorry im gonna be around more now.*

*Worst news of the day.*

well no one said you had to chat with me! partir en vacances!!!!

*If I'm watching prim and priss weddings, I'm dunfer. I hope you are happy about killing me off.*

oh yes! that is my design in life! to kill you off, or havent you heard? weddings are a part of life and everyone loves to go to weddings. you are a softy, you should like them!

You're right, I have seen No Country for Old Men a couple times. Would you like me to post some caps on your thread? I could find the bloodiest, if you like.

r?pugnant! if you want me fainting constantly go right on ahead!

well no one said you had to chat with me! partir en vacances!!!!

:D

oh yes! that is my design in life! to kill you off, or havent you heard?

I've heard and felt. Why do you hate me? I'm a kind, loving soul. I guess Jane Austen girls are told to hate kind, loving men.

weddings are a part of life and everyone loves to go to weddings. you are a softy, you should like them!

Not me. Weddings are a bore. There better not be one in Pride and Prejudice.

You're right, I have seen No Country for Old Men a couple times. Would you like me to post some caps on your thread? I could find the bloodiest, if you like.

r?pugnant! if you want me fainting constantly go right on ahead!

I rather make you cry. That's more fun.

So do you honestly believe I'm going to like Pride and Prejudice?

I've heard and felt. Why do you hate me? I'm a kind, loving soul. I guess Jane Austen girls are told to hate kind, loving men.

musha musha! i dont hate you....its all in your mind. heehee! jane austen taught me many valuable things thank you!

Not me. Weddings are a bore. There better not be one in Pride and Prejudice

well there is one in the Colin firth version, but as you well know, there isnt one in the original......dont deny it! ;)

how mean! you know i dont like to cry in front of other people! i cant help crying to my favorite movies. it comes naturally......you make me cry on purpose! because you think its fun, but it really tears me up inside....im telling you......jack the ripper!

elizabeth bennett if you recall, didnt like crying in front of mr, darcy either.

lizzy: "you can leave me to make a fool of myself"

darcy: "its hard to imagine you making a fool of yourself"

lizzy: "isnt that what i was doing this afternoon?"

going to? you have already seen it. we have evidence! april where are you, you are suppose to be backing me up on the evidence! he has me backed up into a corner!

I'm here, dahlink, but I don't know what we can do with him. I don't believe he buys dvds to watch them, he just buys them to torment us with an occasional screencap. I bet he never even watched High Noon and all that talk about his "lambchop" was just tomfoolery. Have you actually watched the movie, Mr Grimes?

i think youre right, he just buys those movies to torture us and he cant even watch them for enjoyment. he has to watch bloody scary movies that make him stay up all night and fret whether or not someone will come through the window and snatch him......hey! there's an idea april!

indubidably the "lambchop" was tomfoolery....he has no heart!

Hey Theresa,

i just wanted to put my 2 cents in here.....lol...i totally love Pride and Prejudice! First off i read the book and loved it...then i looved the version with Greer and Olivier..and YES a TRUE romance if ive ever seen one and i am a true romantic at heart!....lol.....i also saw the version with peirce Bronson and thought is stunk...of course i am not a fan of his anyway, the only other version i saw of Pride was the most recent with the AMAZINGLY beautiful Keira Knightly! And i must say that had to be MY personal fav of it...no dought.....but Greers version was mighty close..well i guess i loved it the same ..its just they were made in such diffrent eras...well 1940 to 2007...BIG diffrence.. i thought the movies was sooooooo well done.and i am a VERY big fan i must admit of Keira Knightly.. First off she is JUST GORGOUES....plus she can act to!!! !!!! A good thing to have both.....lol..... and i must add a very RARE thing today for sure!!!

Anyway theres my thoughts...i know that Theresa is not some crazed lunatic so i can comment on her threads....heehee...lol..

ty sweetie

ps i sent u those pics...let me know what ya think of him....heehee

AvaG ;-)

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Bonjour, Mademoiselle Collet Mont? -- i dont hate you....its all in your mind. heehee! jane austen taught me many valuable things thank you!

Yes, like hating kind, caring gentleman like myself. Such manners.

how mean! you know i dont like to cry in front of other people! i cant help crying to my favorite movies. it comes naturally......you make me cry on purpose! because you think its fun, but it really tears me up inside....im telling you......jack the ripper!

I'm not Jack the Ripper. That's Smithy.

elizabeth bennett if you recall, didnt like crying in front of mr, darcy either.

I have no idea what you are talking about. None.

going to? you have already seen it. we have evidence! april where are you, you are suppose to be backing me up on the evidence! he has me backed up into a corner!

I haven't seen it. I speak the truth. Why don't you believe me? You know I'm always upfront and honest with you. :P

Bonjour, Mademoiselle Agressif -- I don't believe he buys dvds to watch them, he just buys them to torment us with an occasional screencap.

Some of us mortals have our own spells.

I bet he never even watched High Noon and all that talk about his "lambchop" was just tomfoolery. Have you actually watched the movie, Mr Grimes?

I'll let Helen Ramirez answer that one for you, Mrs. Harv...

highnoon70.jpg

highnoon1.jpg

"Elizabeth" longs for the day when I'm treated with love from prissy, snippy girls.

prideandprejudice8.jpg

Bonjour, Mademoiselle Collet Mont?

non, tu as collet monte!.....non......vilain! heehee!

no, thats in your imagination too.....she taught me to stand up in front of men such as yourself, that take pride in bashing "british snobs".......oh yes! she heard you say such things so she whispered in my ear to tell you to go away in french! heehee!

I'm not Jack the Ripper. That's Smithy.

im starting to believe that you live in a violent world darlin'.

I have no idea what you are talking about. None.

im just never going to win!

I haven't seen it. I speak the truth. Why don't you believe me? You know I'm always upfront and honest with you.

"then why do i see fear behind your eyes?" heehee!

"Elizabeth" longs for the day when I'm treated with love from prissy, snippy girls.

no, she longs for her darcy, whom she just told to go drop dead basically. sounds familiar.......

and the last time i checked, she wasnt longing for you. you arent a gentleman! youre a conieving, man of such an imagination.

hey caroline!!!

im glad you liked the modern one. i can tell you have a fascination toward keira knightly. she is pretty isnt she?

thank you for your loverly compliment! likewise! ;)

ill check me email when i get home, promise! ill let you know what i think. heehee!

so do you think the most modern P&P was the best? :)

theresa

Vous ?tes une dame ind?cent, Femme Adult?re!

no, thats in your imagination too

It's in my imagination that you are always looking to drown me? And for what? For telling you that you are sweet. Such ungrateful behavior.

she taught me to stand up in front of men such as yourself, that take pride in bashing "british snobs"

Bashing sirsnobbery is something to be proud of. That's what traditional gentlemen do.

im starting to believe that you live in a violent world darlin'.

I only turn violent when I watch trashy Greer Garson films.

im just never going to win!

Another bullseye, Eliza.

I haven't seen it. I speak the truth. Why don't you believe me? You know I'm always upfront and honest with you.

"then why do i see fear behind your eyes?" heehee!

Because you're wearing your femme fatale black gloves.

no, she longs for her darcy, whom she just told to go drop dead basically. sounds familiar.......

So Jane Austen intelligently teaches women to inform the men they long for to "go drop dead"? How romantic.

and the last time i checked, she wasnt longing for you.

She was just longing for me to be loved and appreciated. She knows how needless and uncalled for the abuse has been against me.

you arent a gentleman! youre a conieving, man of such an imagination.

gonewiththewind8-2.jpg

Vous ?tes une dame ind?cent, Femme Adult?re!

comme vous puovez etre severe!!

It's in my imagination that you are always looking to drown me? And for what? For telling you that you are sweet. Such ungrateful behavior.

oui monsiour!! "i am a rational creature speaking the truth from her heart". heehee!

on the contrary, you never compliment me! you just wave your tough guy meaness in my puppy dog eyes and then how do i reply to that?

Bashing sirsnobbery is something to be proud of. That's what traditional gentlemen do.

i dont ever recall larry olivier, or ronald colman, or walter pidgeon bashing snobbery like you do! they were sweet men full of heart and compliments!

what from her films triggers such treachery? i can honestly say that i have never heard of any guy's anger being triggered by a romantic kiss in a greer movie.

Another bullseye, Eliza.

more evidence!! april you have to witness this!

oh come now, frankiefurter, i have already told you that i cant handle a gun, and im a klutz, so if i had a knife in my hand, i would probably set it down, b./c i would drop it inadvertently silly goose!

So Jane Austen intelligently teaches women to inform the men they long for to "go drop dead"? How romantic.

you said it! i didnt! heehee!

you cant spring puppy dog eyes on me! thats not fair, thats my job! i have a tear coming......its so sad to see someone i know crying unless its out of joy, and by that picture, you dont look happy.

I must depart, but before I do...

oui monsiour!! "i am a rational creature speaking the truth from her heart". heehee!

There is no such thing as a rational woman. There just ain't.

on the contrary, you never compliment me!

I compliment you ALL the time. I can't help it if you Jane Austen girls consider yourselves to be above my loving words. I try.

you just wave your tough guy meaness in my puppy dog eyes and then how do i reply to that?

I'm never mean to you. Everyone knows I shower you with kindness.

i dont ever recall larry olivier, or ronald colman, or walter pidgeon bashing snobbery like you do! they were sweet men full of heart and compliments!

Of course they don't bash sirsnobbery because they are snobs.

what from her films triggers such treachery?

She's always looking to ruin men's lives.

i can honestly say that i have never heard of any guy's anger being triggered by a romantic kiss in a greer movie.

You've just met one.

Another bullseye, Eliza.

more evidence!! april you have to witness this!

Your little finishing school doll can't witness a thing.

oh come now, frankiefurter, i have already told you that i cant handle a gun, and im a klutz, so if i had a knife in my hand, i would probably set it down, b./c i would drop it inadvertently silly goose!

You first drown a guy in your puppy dog eyes and then you strangle him to death while wearing your long black gloves.

you said it! i didnt! heehee!

So Jane Austen girls want to romance a dead man? As someone may say, "grossness!"

you cant spring puppy dog eyes on me! thats not fair, thats my job! i have a tear coming......its so sad to see someone i know crying unless its out of joy, and by that picture, you dont look happy.

Everyone knows how much it hurts me, a sweet angel, to be treated so horribly. Now look who's crying for me...

prideandprejudice9.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings