Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Dancing Movies--help requested

TigerLily91

Hi there. :)

I'm doing a project for school for which I would like to know what are the best classic dancing movies. If you could list as many as possible I would appreciate it. After I get a feel for the ones that have made history I will be able to do research on them for my project. I already know of Singin' in the Rain and West Side Story and really popular ones like that. Any other input would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!

Start with anything with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire.

Fred -

"Band Wagon"

"Top Hat"

"Holiday Inn"

Gene -

"An American In Paris"

"On The Town"

Others -

"Seven Brides For Seven Brothers"

"Footlight Parade"

Many others are available and others will chime in. Stay tuned.

Another one of Fred Astaire's movies that's worth checking out is ROYAL WEDDING from 1952. In it, he dances with a coatrack (!) and makes it look good(!).

But this film also contains Fred's wonderful dance up the walls and on the ceiling, a sequence still untopped by anyone, as far as I'm concerned.

Well you can't go wrong with Fred Astaire as others have said. All of the Astaire/Rogers films have something to offer. I would add *Follow The Fleet* and *Swingtime.*

Also check out Fred Astaire with Eleanor Powell in *The Broadway Melody of 1940*

For Gene Kelly I would add *The Pirate* which has the added bonus of featuring the Nicholas Brothers.

Thanks so much guys! I'm really grateful for the help. :-D

I love Fred & Ginger. They were so great to watch. I've seen Swing Time and Top Hat with my mom and loved them both.

Were there any famous solo dancers? I know that Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly did some solo numbers. But with the girls were there any movies where they performed solo, like burlesque type stuff maybe? I mean sans the naughty bits of course. Were there any ladies who were known to dance solo sometimes rather than with a partner? I hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

I hope you won't mind me asking further questions...

Were there any famous solo dancers? I know that Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly did some solo numbers. But with the girls were there any movies where they performed solo, like burlesque type stuff maybe? I mean sans the naughty bits of course. Were there any ladies who were known to dance solo sometimes rather than with a partner? I hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

Starting at midnight eastern time, the night of April 28/29 TCM is airing a lot of dancing stuff.

There's *Dancing Lady* at 12:00am eastern followed by two dance oriented shorts, then a Private Screening with Ann Miller.

This is followed by:

*That's Dancing! (1985)*

*Gene Kelly, Liza Minnelli and Mikhail Baryshnikov host this compilation of some of the greatest* *dance numbers in movie history.*

*Dir: Jack Haley, Jr. BW-105 mins, TV-G*

Look it up on the schedule page.

VERA-ELLEN was a dancer in the late 40s and 50s. She was tiny and athletic in her

dance style, but she could also do slow numbers with grace and poise. She

partnered with Kelly,Astaire, & O'Connor but also did solo numbers.

• 1 month later...

Of course this is my opinion but, Some really good ones are: Dames, Broadway Melody (several were made starting in 1929) Gold Diggers of 1933 was also very good. Here is a list of several that are not so commonly seen any more. Many of them I had to order from TCM's data base.

Four Jills in a Jeep-1944

Damsel in Distress-1937

White Christmas 1954- ( this can be found at Wal-mart at Christmas time)

Pot O" Gold-1941

Second Chorus-1943

Annie Get Your Gun-1950

Take Me Out to the Ballgame-(1949)

Alexander's Ragtime Band-(1938)

There are many more that I can name if you need them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings