Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Viva Zapata

Fred_C

Who knows what guides the mindset of the powers that be???

I too, am a big fan of this film, and consider it one of Brando's and Kazan's best collaborations.

It should be as readily available as "A Streetcar Named Desire," and "On The Waterfront." Why it is not, is hard to fathom.

As far as I know, it has never been domestically released in DVD format, but once was in VHS format.

Some of the purchasers of the import DVD's have complained that they have been unacceptably "re-edited" by those suppliers, deleting portions of key scenes that help to give the film a greater meaning.

Here is an Amazon link to what's out there.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_wl?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Viva+Zapata&x=14&y=21

I may be forced to order the older VHS and and make my own DVD from it, if possible.

Yes, I also heard that some re-editing had been done, at least on the Korean versions. Not sure about the Portuguese version. But your view on dubbing from VHS may be the best way to keep the truest form of the film, if indeed the VHS version is the full film, and suffer with VHS quality. If that was released in the US, I would think the odds are better that it is the full theatrical version or the closest you could get.

Somebody at Fox must know the details of the obstruction.

I guess that means the Steinbeck's still have some ownership in the film. It's amazing to me that this did not get resolved for the initial release but comes up now for DVD release and only in the US. I remember seeing this on TV in the 70s and must have been aired at other times. How come the Steinbecks didn't have clout then. Maybe this is just the estate having a problem and not that Steinbeck himself had a problem? He died in 1968. So does that tell us there was not a problem before his death and that with the advent of new mediums for new sales, VHS and DVD, the estate finds a way to claim displeasure. My belief is that this is art and that it should be available to the public, as almost all movies are. But, I digress to my soapbox. I wonder if Fox sees the possibility of dollars here to keep pressing the issue. We can only hope.

Fred C,

It may be that the studio does not have the rights in perpetuity or that the contract with Steinbeck (and now his estate) did not take into account any known and future media (meaning VHS and/or DVD).

At least we got to see, and I believe we can buy/rent copies of "It's a Wonderful Life". With "Viva Zapata", it's seems to be a different story. Like no one cares to press the issue for an Oscar winning film with stellar cast and directing, not to mention the writing. So, is this really a case where the Steinbeck estate is so upset with the treatment of the book that they wish to deny public access to the film. According to IMDB, Steinbeck got writing credits, but since I don't have the film, I don't know if he worked on the screenplay at all. Does anyone know if there was a controversy at the time the film was made as to Steinbeck's dissatisfaction with it? I'll be the first to admit I don't know the specifics, and Hollywood can be ruthless, but it just LOOKS like the Steinbeck estate is folding its arms and snubbing the American film art community. Maybe a movement will come to FREE ZAPATA! We'll all be wearing T-shirts with Marlon Brando in his sombrero and mustache. Then someone powerful will yell "What's your name?!"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings