Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sinatra, Elvis OR Bing???

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

For Classic Movies, combined acting and singing, Bing Crosby.

For most wedding band covers, Frank Sinatra.

For most carryover to stage performers today and overall fun, Elvis!

That reminds me, I haven't seen 3000 Miles To Graceland (2001) in a while.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233142/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

3000 Miles to Graceland Poster

See what I mean.  The wannabees are easily recognizable and never too serious.

Okay, I take that back.  This guy IS serious.

It is a mess though (*1/2-out of 4 stars)  & barely made $16m. Though *Costner is strong as an out & out bad guy in it.

Although I'm not finished, it appers that ELVIS has a bit of a backlash?

Gotta' separate his personal demons though from his on stage performances of course

Can you believe that piece of garbage Tom Parker lived to almost be 90

He's the one that got Elvis to make all those stupid 1960's flix too & then he refused to allow Presley to co-star with *Streisand in 1976's "A Star is Born"

I pick Sinatra all the way for singing and I guess acting.  Eternity is one of my top favorite films but I have to admit I still scratch my head over the winning of an Oscar.  It must have been the actor he was supporting that made Frank look better than he actually was. ?  My favorite songs are Fly me to the Moon and My Way.

8 hours ago, spence said:

Gotta' separate his personal demons though from his on stage performances of course

With Elvis what was worst,  those personal demons or those silly 70s on stage performances?

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With Elvis what was worst,  those personal demons or those silly 70s on stage performances?

Nothing Elvis did was as embarrassing as this:

hi6.jpg

And Frank had some bad moments, too:

tumblr_m197yw9dP31ql4a37o6_r5_250.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Nothing Elvis did was as embarrassing as this:

hi6.jpg

And Frank had some bad moments, too:

tumblr_m197yw9dP31ql4a37o6_r5_250.gif

Who's that, Bing?  That almost looks like a scene from The Black & White Minstrels - a British TV production whose music sounded good to my ears (at least the LPs), but then I saw parts of the TV show and thought it looked a bit silly.

P.S. I'm sure the BBC has burned all the masters by now.

My favorite live Frank Sinatra recording is "Sinatra at the Sands" with the Count Basie Orchestra, conducted by Quincy Jones.

It has his best performance of Cole Porter's " I've Got You Under My Skin "-- my favorite Sinatra song and just about his too.

And for the icing on the cake, he tells a few jokes and talks to the audience just as if they were in his living room.

Now The Sands may be gone,  but this recording in the lasting Testament to the Artistry of Sinatra and Basie.

For those in the alternate universe - - Sinatra also made a studio recording with Duke Ellington. You can check that out.

• Like 1

I like all of them, but I consider myself something of an amateur rock & roll historian, so Elvis certainly means the most to me personally. It's unfortunate he left his career to be controlled by Andreas van Kuijk, who really seemed to have his own best interests at heart than his client's. All those cheeseball movies and the cheeseball '70s stage shows aside, his canny and prescient fusion of R&B, country, pop and rockabilly elements into something fresh and original was groundbreaking and, if I may be so dramatic, cosmos-shifting.

• Like 1

Just an addendum to my large post above, the post with the "World's Greatest Elvis" competition.  The older judge in that video, towards the end of the segment, is none other than Joe Esposito - Elvis's long time friend and road manager!  The most perfect judge they could have had.  I should have watched that video all the way through before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Esposito_(author)

https://www.graceland.com/news/details/remembering-joe-esposito/8199/

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

Who's that, Bing?  That almost looks like a scene from The Black & White Minstrels - a British TV production whose music sounded good to my ears (at least the LPs), but then I saw parts of the TV show and thought it looked a bit silly.

P.S. I'm sure the BBC has burned all the masters by now.

This $B.O.$ flop was always a running gag for him, "Kissing Bandit" especially when the late great Don Rickles digging his heels in.

But to me it's not bad, but mediocre instead (**-out of 4 stars) & far from his worst of the (58) he did-(like *Tracy, he loathed locations & both hated to do more then 1 take)

During the early to mid 1960's *Frank of course was up partying all night & *Tracy was just getting up for the day-(this was pretty-much after his binge drinking had stopped a lot) & the 2 would have breakfast together at Trancas Beach, CALIFORNIA.  He nicknamed *Spence "THE SILVER OR WHITE FOX"

One thing that *Tracy was not happy about though,  was when filming 1961's ok (**1/2) "Devil at 4 0'Clock" & again due to *"The Chairman's" hours then, *(Spence would literally have to react/act to a stand-in broomstick instead   of *FS)

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

OH COME ONE JAMES, are you serious???  My mother was the local president in Delaware of another ELVIS FAN-CLUB. But, when he went into the service, she lost touch about him, then due to that scum Col. Tom Parker-(l909-1997)-(NOTE: It's well-known Parker-(he was never really an official Colonel either?)  Elvis' dad & was immediately  lost altogether & never a business man, so Parker had him sign everything on the planet & all say he caused his early demise only 2 years after ELVIS in 1979.

But as far as ELVIS on stage-(starting with his dynamic 1968 tv special) he could not have been more DYNAMIC-(check it out on youtube & by a hair my candidate as his mt. summit of on stage performances was the famous 1970 This heavyweight stage role from Las Vegas-(even Cary Grant was there!) is his all-time highnote on stage!  It can also be purchased as "ELVIS: THATS THE WAY IT IS"   & all obviously know of his demons & gaining so much wgt was among therm. However & I've seen the footage a lot-(THOUGH *"THE CHAIRMAN" IS STILL MY A NO. #1`)  However, during his final concerts his vocals became almost operatic  i.e. "Unchained Melody"

54 minutes ago, spence said:

OH COME ONE JAMES, are you serious???  My mother was the local president in Delaware of another ELVIS FAN-CLUB. But, when he went into the service, she lost touch about him, then due to that scum Col. Tom Parker-(l909-1997)-(NOTE: It's well-known Parker-(he was never really an official Colonel either?)  Elvis' dad & was immediately  lost altogether & never a business man, so Parker had him sign everything on the planet & all say he caused his early demise only 2 years after ELVIS in 1979.

But as far as ELVIS on stage-(starting with his dynamic 1968 tv special) he could not have been more DYNAMIC-(check it out on youtube & by a hair my candidate as his mt. summit of on stage performances was the famous 1970 This heavyweight stage role from Las Vegas-(even Cary Grant was there!) is his all-time highnote on stage!  It can also be purchased as "ELVIS: THATS THE WAY IT IS"   & all obviously know of his demons & gaining so much wgt was among therm. However & I've seen the footage a lot-(THOUGH *"THE CHAIRMAN" IS STILL MY A NO. #1`)  However, during his final concerts his vocals became almost operatic  i.e. "Unchained Melody"

I knew you would mention the 1968 TV special because that was fine and very well done,  but most of those other performances with those silly costumes and with what I find to be mostly lame \ lounge act songs don't move me.   Sorry just not my cup of tea and to me a lot weaker than what he did in the late 50s \ early 60s.

The overall issue I have is that the music wasn't classic standards like what Sinatra was doing (and which I love), and NOT Rock and Roll \ edgy music,  or even rockabilly.    Again,  mostly lame \ lounge act songs.   Of course Elvis' vocals were still solid because he was a great singer.     THAT is what bugs me.   Elvis was highly talented but to me, after those initial years,  his talent wasn't utilized in a manner that I found enjoyable.   

thanks again for your input   I take it *JAMES (FRANCIS) CAGNEY is your A #1 am I right.  Have any books on him?

Who recalls "Night of 100 Stars" (around 1981 or so.)  Sadly, he was forgotten somehow under the stage for the big grand finale.   Same yr he was robbed of a s. actor shot for "RAGTIMNE"  Typically they nommed Howard E. Rollins, Jr., instead, but his character was the lead?

& what about what most so called fans of his 4-get & leave out the 1984 tv movie "Terrible Joe Moran"

7 minutes ago, spence said:

thanks again for your input   I take it *JAMES (FRANCIS) CAGNEY is your A #1 am I right.  Have any books on him?

Who recalls "Night of 100 Stars" (around 1981 or so.)  Sadly, he was forgotten somehow under the stage for the big grand finale.   Same yr he was robbed of a s. actor shot for "RAGTIMNE"  Typically they nommed Howard E. Rollins, Jr., instead, but his character was the lead?

& what about what most so called fans of his 4-get & leave out the 1984 tv movie "Terrible Joe Moran"

James Cagney is my six favorite actor.    I selected this photo for my avatar because it featured him playing guitar and I'm a amateur jazz guitarist.    (playing guitar is my #1 hobby, with studio-era movies being #2).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

James Cagney is my six favorite actor.    I selected this photo for my avatar because it featured him playing guitar and I'm a amateur jazz guitarist.    (playing guitar is my #1 hobby, with studio-era movies being #2).

THANX!  He's my 3rd all-timer!  &* reason his roles never appear dated is he'll always seem contemporary

If I may ask, who are your top five?     I have loved collecting stats/files,etc since I was a kid of 14 to 15 in 1979/80  & always like to add others to them

Always wondered how *Jim-(disliked being called *Jimmy) felt when George M. Cohan-(l878-l942) himself said *Spencer Tracy Your the Best Damn Actor I;ve Ever Seen" unquote

If you've not yet see it, check out ( hollywoodsirishmafia.com or theboysclub.com)  It's editor was among a couple that linked me into knowing remaining family of *Tracy.

The only full blooded Irish of the gang were Pat 0'Brien & Frank  McHugh

THANX

22 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Just an addendum to my large post above, the post with the "World's Greatest Elvis" competition.  The older judge in that video, towards the end of the segment, is none other than Joe Esposito - Elvis's long time friend and road manager!  The most perfect judge they could have had.  I should have watched that video all the way through before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Esposito_(author)

https://www.graceland.com/news/details/remembering-joe-esposito/8199/

That's character player Ed Brophy isn't it?

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, Princess of Tap said:

My favorite live Frank Sinatra recording is "Sinatra at the Sands" with the Count Basie Orchestra, conducted by Quincy Jones.

It has his best performance of Cole Porter's " I've Got You Under My Skin "-- my favorite Sinatra song and just about his too.

And for the icing on the cake, he tells a few jokes and talks to the audience just as if they were in his living room.

Now The Sands may be gone,  but this recording in the lasting Testament to the Artistry of Sinatra and Basie.

For those in the alternate universe - - Sinatra also made a studio recording with Duke Ellington. You can check that out.

THANX TO PRINCESS OF TAP!   I probably have seen the concert you mentioned,. But any fans at all & of *Francis Albert, Dino, Sammy & even Johnny Carson-(in for Joey Bishop)   This one is easy to find-=(youtube.com) & many others show it   It was in 1965 at "The Kiel 0pera House"  in B &W  Think it's about 90 minutes at the most & ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS FOOTAGE OF BOTH MUSIC & COMEDY!  Even Johnny does some singing here! Please let me know if you find it, or have seen it?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spence said:

THANX TO PRINCESS OF TAP!   I probably have seen the concert you mentioned,. But any fans at all & of *Francis Albert, Dino, Sammy & even Johnny Carson-(in for Joey Bishop)   This one is easy to find-=(youtube.com) & many others show it   It was in 1965 at "The Kiel 0pera House"  in B &W  Think it's about 90 minutes at the most & ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS FOOTAGE OF BOTH MUSIC & COMEDY!  Even Johnny does some singing here! Please let me know if you find it, or have seen it?

Of course I've seen that! It seems like Johnny sings the Birth of the Blues or That Old Black Magic or something like that quite well too!

Several years ago I did a lot of Internet rat packing and I saved them to my library to have whenever I feel like a ring a ding ding.

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I knew you would mention the 1968 TV special because that was fine and very well done,  but most of those other performances with those silly costumes and with what I find to be mostly lame \ lounge act songs don't move me.   Sorry just not my cup of tea and to me a lot weaker than what he did in the late 50s \ early 60s.

The overall issue I have is that the music wasn't classic standards like what Sinatra was doing (and which I love), and NOT Rock and Roll \ edgy music,  or even rockabilly.    Again,  mostly lame \ lounge act songs.   Of course Elvis' vocals were still solid because he was a great singer.     THAT is what bugs me.   Elvis was highly talented but to me, after those initial years,  his talent wasn't utilized in a manner that I found enjoyable.   

Come on, there's something to be said for those lounge acts.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, yanceycravat said:

Crosby then Sinatra then Elvis

I welcome & respect your opinion pal, but *Bing over them?  In what way, please elaborate?

O ANY OF YOU FANS, BE IT *SINATRA, ELVIS OR BING, YOU MUST RUSH OVER & CHECK OUT A PHENOMENAL 90 MINUTE CONCERT FROM 1965 IN B& W AT "THE KIEL OPERA HOUSE"   JOHNNY CARSON DES A SUPER JPOB FILLING IN FOR JOEY BISHOP!

THIS ONE PIECE OF FOOTAGE/CONCERET TOTALLY DISPLAYS JUST WHY "THE RAT PACK" WERE WHAT THEY WERE!  But, Dino said one day people are gonna wake up take some alka seltzer & wonder what the whole thing was about  & apparently that's what happened

Sadly, by this time Peter Lawford was actually banned from even being in the arena if *Frank found out he was out there though