Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spence

Sinatra, Elvis OR Bing???

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

Just an addendum to my large post above, the post with the "World's Greatest Elvis" competition.  The older judge in that video, towards the end of the segment, is none other than Joe Esposito - Elvis's long time friend and road manager!  The most perfect judge they could have had.  I should have watched that video all the way through before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Esposito_(author)

https://www.graceland.com/news/details/remembering-joe-esposito/8199/

You surprised me pal!   He was pretty good, especially in our world with ever so many impersonators & "Suspicious Minds" is my fav. of his as well!    THANKS FOIR SHARING!      (P.S. I;m sure most of you know about that famous sequence in 1992's "Honeymoon in Vegas" with "The Flying Elvis'""  This is something *Nicolas Cage can't run down either, partially playing him  in Lynch's ultra=weird 1990 "Wild at Heart" & opther bits.

• Like 1

Something one of the finest on TCM can probably explain, hope so   Elvis' grave & Graceland costs $money$ to visit & it's officially the most visited grave & place on this planet. Thing is, they always list Marilyn Monroe's as a runner-up, but how do they know that as fact, it's FREE to visit her final resting place???

(P.S. & yet my little girl & love NATALIE is  near MM's & nobody seems to care anymore? However, on my visit in April of 1999 NATASHA had more flowers on her tiny place then Marilyn's

THANK YOU

ho of you would visit "GRACELAND" & OF COURSE ELVIS' GRAVE, plus hs unborn son Jesse, Mother & father.

A sad story to say the least, my mum's A #1 ever is ELVIS-(she was even the local president of his fan club in Delaware pre-Army days) Anyw3ay, her sister  very wealthy husband went onto visit GRACELAND & OF COURSE PRESL:EY, THE WORKS & the topper is her sister never gave a hang about this man while alive! It was just another choir they had to achieve I reckon' & never once even asked my poor mom if she wanted to go with them  Not nagging, but given you TCM-ITES are the best, wanted a couple opinions of such coldness?

THANK YOU!

do do you prefer in the ow legendary tv appearance teaming of *Frankie Boy & Elvis?

Most have likely seen this 1960 footage-(think it was just after Presley came home from the Army in Germany)

& Truth be told *"The Chairman" hated rock n' roll so much he often said it would be the finish to civilization. & wanted nothing to do with appearing on stage with Elvis (Aaron) Presley.

Apparently his gumba's & others talked him into it, it would be good for his image at then age 45 & rekindle some younger fans a bit   So he bit the bullet & went on alongside Elvis Presley. Think it was Ed Sullivan-(l902-74) & TIMEX that presented it. & both with massive egos-(especially *Frank's) & Elvis-(of whom really to never really had much of an ego)  went on side by side in B &V W, they switched numbers & in my opinion it was spectacular, what do you TCM-ITES think though?  For the record *(Sinatra never again appeared on stage with "The King")

IT'S CLASSIC FOOTAGE NOW & CAN EASILY BE LOCATED ALL OVER THE NET IF YOU LIKE

Some more fun trivia fun fax: Elvis loathed drunks, due to them losing control. Think it had to do with a n older relative   Though at the time he thought it was A OK for a dr to prescribe meds-(I've read the entire lost many times that his dr had him on & on a daily basis. Enough to knock a horse out!)  Didn't even smoke cigs or pot-(matter of fact his famous visit to the white house to meet then president Nixon, whom gave him a fake FBI/DEA badge) Elvis was out of it then. This started in the Army where they gave him uppers & downers to get through everything.   As for *Francis, he loved booze of course & smoking, but here is the weirdest thing I've learned within the last few years *SINATRA smoked pot!   Nothing wrong with that-(sounds like "Seinfeld") but I could never get the image of him smoking a huge joint!  Ironically something Elvis would never do though?>  GO FIGURE

I don't know about old blue eyes smoking any weed, but he did come from that "big band" environment where a lot of "gage" smoking and dope use among musicians did get started, so it wouldn't surprise me if Frankie did hit a "reefer" now and then back in the day.

And I've heard Bing too, in a Barbara Walters interview, say he saw nothing wrong in the use of marijuana. In fact, to "Baba's" shock and awe, he said he'd PREFER his daughter smoke pot instead of live with a boyfriend while NOT married!  :o   :lol:

Sepiatone

10 hours ago, spence said:

I welcome & respect your opinion pal, but *Bing over them?  In what way, please elaborate?

IMHO Bing is by far the more entertaining of the 3. Yes, Sinatra and Elvis, though different styles, can sing. Of that there is no doubt. I find Bing's films more entertaining. It's true Sinatra tackled far more intense subject matter than the other two and he definitely has his moments but I don't think of him as an actor. I think of him as an entertainer who acted. Similar to Bing and Elvis. I can't imagine any of them thought of themselves as actors in the true sense of the word.

I will also offer that I have every available recorded take of songs recorded by both Crosby and Sinatra. I have nothing by Elvis.  I just never got him.

If I had a choice of say Bell's of St. Mary's, a Road movie or a Sinatra film or Elvis, I'd rather spend the time with Bing.  I guess it's just a matter of taste.

As I said awhile ago it was actually a work in progress & was 1stly focused on SINATRA, I had to stop at that stage & planned to get back to it progress & 1stly focused on The Chairman the most, had to stop then forgot it  ok

I've got to say that I know a great deal about American popular music and you need to include Nat King Cole and just exclude Elvis all together.

Elvis had a fantastic voice and had great potential but he never attempted the repertoire or to have the career that Nat King Cole or Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby had.

It would even make a lot more sense to include a lot of other men in this list which would be:

Dean Martin,

Joe Williams,

Bobby Darin,

Steve Lawrence,

Andy Williams,

Johnny Mathis,

Jack Jones,

Billy Eckstine

And of course Mel Torme.

Elvis Presley was prevented from ever having a career in American popular music on the level of Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby or Nat King Cole. I'm sure he would have been a success at it but it's impossible to judge something like that since he never really attempted to do it.

Unless you can find a recording of Presley doing Cole Porter, Rodgers & Hart, George and Ira Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Jerome Kern, Fats Waller, Rodgers and Hammerstein, excetera excetera I think we'll just have to say Elvis is the King of rock and roll him let him stay there.

55 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

It's Frank's world, we just live in it.

" You're hooked, you're cooked, you're caught in  'The Tender Trap'. "

Hey Princess of Tap, I force anyone who comes to my house to watch Frank perform his medley of "The Gal (formerly "The Man") That Got Away" and "It Never Entered My Mind" live from his "Concert For The Americas" .  It is a touching and masterful performance that, in my opinion, shows what made him the greatest singer of all time.

My wife and I saw Frank perform in Las Vegas in 1988 on a lark and we were hooked.  We saw him almost 50 times between 1989 and 1995, following him to his last performances at the MGM Grand. We took many family members with us as we knew his time was coming to an end. 

Have you read Will Freehold's "Sinatra, The Song Is You"?  

Well spence, Bing as an actor and Frank as a singer.

So, Bing, Frank, Elvis for acting. Frank, Elvis, Bing as singers.

Not including Frank's, "I Sing The Songs" cover. Stinks like a dead skunk in the middle of the road.

Here is my favorite Bing song with help from the Andrews Sisters.

8 hours ago, johnpressman said:

Hey Princess of Tap, I force anyone who comes to my house to watch Frank perform his medley of "The Gal (formerly "The Man") That Got Away" and "It Never Entered My Mind" live from his "Concert For The Americas" .  It is a touching and masterful performance that, in my opinion, shows what made him the greatest singer of all time.

My wife and I saw Frank perform in Las Vegas in 1988 on a lark and we were hooked.  We saw him almost 50 times between 1989 and 1995, following him to his last performances at the MGM Grand. We took many family members with us as we knew his time was coming to an end. 

Have you read Will Freehold's "Sinatra, The Song Is You"?  

John, My favorite singer is Judy Garland. And the ultimate performance of "The Man That Got Away" is from her legendary Carnegie Hall Concert. After we listen to Judy sing it, I'd be glad to listen to Frank sang anything. LOL

I also enjoy watching that TV special on YouTube that Frank, Judy and Dean made which had those high ratings.

• Like 1

Judy Garland is the one female singer I compare to Sinatra.  She had the ability to emote a song's meaning similar to Frank.

Have you ever heard Frank's recording of  Judy's standard "Zing Went The Stings Of My Heart"?

53 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

Judy Garland is the one female singer I compare to Sinatra.  She had the ability to emote a song's meaning similar to Frank.

Have you ever heard Frank's recording of  Judy's standard "Zing Went The Stings Of My Heart"?

I love Frank; but "Zing" is Judy's audition song at MGM.... enough said. LOL

3 hours ago, johnpressman said:

Please listen to Frank's version with an open mind.

My first Frank Sinatra record was " Hey,  Jealous Lover "b/w " You forgot all the words". You had to really hear this music on the radio, even on the a.m. radio it was wonderful.  My first favorite Frank Sinatra song on the radio was "Love and Marriage". I picked him up from a group of singers like Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Rosemary Clooney and Eddie Fisher.

They were all on the a.m. radio. Yes, there was no rock and roll. Well, not for a while anyway.

So I guess where Frank is concerned my mind has been closed since "Love and Marriage" and everybody has their own signature tunes and that's just kind of the way it goes.

My first Frank Sinatra album was "Sinatra's Sinatra". Of course, where he sings his favorite songs. That's when I really learned about what Frank Sinatra was all about.

If you don't have that album you should really look for it.

" Keep Audrey Hepburn, keep Liz Taylor, Nancy's the feature, they're just the trailer.

No Angel could replace, Nancy with the laughing face."

The TV show "Married With Children" could use this song without paying Sinatra because it was specially written for a Producer's Showcase live telecast of "Our Town" with Frank, Paul Newman and Eva Marie Saint.  This is a little seen kinescope.

On the other hand, my mother was a professional singer and piano player who idolized Judy since she was a girl.

As for me, I confess to liking this version of "Zing". Probably nostalgia. It was on the flip side of a 45rpm record of Yakety Yak:

1ST & foremost I want to first thank my fellow TCM-ITES for still casting their own favorites   4 BIG-STARS! & as I write on here or another, I've been sick in many ways, dusabled0*lumber section of the back), spinal-stinosis & then had massive head damage twice too!-(won;t go into organ recitals here though)  & of course tons of other jazz-(a little FRANCIS (Albert) SINATRA got in their again, actually usually intentional given he's very close runner-up within the last 5yrs of being my all-time idol & hero & of course motion picture al-time finest actor in (THE GREAT: SPENCER TRACY)-)Olivier on stage no question) has by far been my A 1 hero/idol once I was a wee lad of about age 15 around 1979. & 3td & last but not least (JACKIE (Ralph Kramden) GLEASON) covering all (3) mediums  Film, Music & TV  In short I was really only able to first covered FRANK's & trust me wanted to add a lot more. (ELVIS) was next-(P.S. He's not only my mom's fav. singer ever, but all around star!) & must admit he's my runner0up all-time fav singer. & (BING (Harry Lillis) CROSBY) was 3rd

So keep yout votes coming, but in the not so far distance future I'll do a lead in on both others  By the way SINATRA'S fav singers were  Tony Bennett, now age 93! & Nat "King" Cole

)& AN IMPORTANT QUESTION TO YOU ALL CINEPHILES> Can the opposite sex still be either your A #1 idol, or among them???    PLEASE ASSIST

15 hours ago, spence said:

1ST & foremost I want to first thank my fellow TCM-ITES for still casting their own favorites   4 BIG-STARS! & as I write on here or another, I've been sick in many ways, dusabled0*lumber section of the back), spinal-stinosis & then had massive head damage twice too!-(won;t go into organ recitals here though)  & of course tons of other jazz-(a little FRANCIS (Albert) SINATRA got in their again, actually usually intentional given he's very close runner-up within the last 5yrs of being my all-time idol & hero & of course motion picture al-time finest actor in (THE GREAT: SPENCER TRACY)-)Olivier on stage no question) has by far been my A 1 hero/idol once I was a wee lad of about age 15 around 1979. & 3td & last but not least (JACKIE (Ralph Kramden) GLEASON) covering all (3) mediums  Film, Music & TV  In short I was really only able to first covered FRANK's & trust me wanted to add a lot more. (ELVIS) was next-(P.S. He's not only my mom's fav. singer ever, but all around star!) & must admit he's my runner0up all-time fav singer. & (BING (Harry Lillis) CROSBY) was 3rd

So keep yout votes coming, but in the not so far distance future I'll do a lead in on both others  By the way SINATRA'S fav singers were  Tony Bennett, now age 93! & Nat "King" Cole

)& AN IMPORTANT QUESTION TO YOU ALL CINEPHILES> Can the opposite sex still be either your A #1 idol, or among them???    PLEASE ASSIST

Spence, number of people have told me that Steve Lawrence was Frank's favorite singer.

BTW-- I just saw the most interesting piece of memorabilia in terms of great singers. By chance I was watching the History Channel and they were discussing a piece of memorabilia that was a love letter written by Judy Garland to Frank Sinatra in the late 1940s.

It's just one letter but it was fascinating to see this relationship between these two great singers.

They are certainly two of my favorite singers and I couldn't help but notice when I watched them singing together on television that there was a special chemistry between them.

Also I couldn't help but notice how thrilled Frank was to watch Liza sing with him during his last tour with Sammy when Liza took Dean's place.