Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

Dear Thelma,

I appreciate all your help, and I will look into the URL issue, and posting graphics with the links shortly.

Need to mention, I have a fantastic version of the original LAUGH CLOWN LAUGH song preformed by the esteemed Harry Richman posted on My Page at goldenageofhollywood.com. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get it over here? The recording is vintage, but a friend of mine cleaned it all up and it sounds like it was just recorded yesterday!

I am not sure of my own link over there, but I will post what I believe it is here and it should take you right to it? I hope? I have well over 70 other recordings posted over there from the 1920's! LAUGH CLOWN LAUGH is part of my Play-list, Sure hope that this works?

Say, If you wish to join my group on GAOH please do? Everyone of you who is not already a member is invited to join as well!

http://goldenageofhollywood.ning.com/profile/TheGiant

Thelma,

Yeah! It appears that the link does indeed work to My Page over on GAOH! I am simply elated that it does! Now if I can just get the nack of posting graphics here we will be all set! I have lots of photos that I colorized over there too, so please give it a look? Thanks again for everything.

Thelma,

Err, now I am confused? You have "already URL'd the Pictures that You sent me through Photo-bucket? That was very kind of you. Thanks. Only trouble is, that I did not receive any pictures from you? How did you send them?

I am not currently registered on Photo-bucket, or youtube either for that matter, but I will look into it? Maybe that is the issue? Will get this ironed out eventually.

Thelma,

I think I finally about had this figured out last night, when my PC froze up on me. I know that you are losing patience? I will try again this evening to get the graphics posted?

Just to be clear, I'm I to understand that you want me to add them to my previous posts above the Youtube links? I assume this is what you wish me to do?

Again thanks for baring with me.

At first this seems OT, but I'll tie it in later:

"For those who need to catch up:

Viacom (CBS, Comedy Central) is suing YouTube/Google for $1 billion for facilitating copyright violations when videos (e.g. Daily Show, Colbert, CBS News) are uploaded to the YouTube site.

During discovery, Viacom demanded that Google turn over just about everything in its database, and the trial judge has ruled that they will have to turn over:

* all data concerning *what videos users watched* and uploaded;

* usernames;

* user IP addresses.

Are we now going to be sued for watching youtube links to 80 year old movies that the studios don't care enough about to put on DVD and no channel (including TCM) cares enough about to show? Just asking. Yes, I imagine I am costing FOX tons of money by watching the snake hips dance from 1930's "Happy Days".

You make many good points, but I still remember when the record companies began suing individuals with wild abandon back in 2003. Everyone made the same arguments you are making and thought the record companies would come to their senses too - they didn't. They sued grandmas, grandpas, everyone, and laughed all the way to the bank. I still remember Hillary Rosen trying to justify all of this and her "War Against the Consumer" back when she was president of the RIAA. Now whenever I see her, usually working for some political candidate, her involvement in any campaign almost assures that candidate will not get my vote.

This is somewhat different, though, in that the properties in question (early sound films) are generally not available for sale anywhere in any form and are also not being offered in their entirety via youtube. If the studios would make these films available for sale via DVD, believe me, I would be a customer.

Thelma,

David Shepard said on Silver Screen Oasis, that Paramount has had several offers for the rights to it's entire surviving Silent Film Library. They have turned them all down.

Yet at the same time Kevin Brownlow said when He approached Paramount with the hope to Produce a Photo-play Productions Edition/Restoration of James Cruze THE COVERED WAGON (1923), they flatly refused. This was just very recently. Paramount responded that they felt the film had no commercial value?

Historically speaking, THE COVERED WAGON is of great significance, as it is as close as you can come to a living record of the Prairie Pioneers, made by the last vestige of the Pioneers. and yet they claimed that it had no value?

It makes me sick that these people who have no interest whatsoever in the films, don't even know what they are in-fact. continue to hold onto them! As far as I am concerened they should have no rights to them whatsoever! The films are much better off, in the hands of people who care about them, and will see that they are kept well perserved and in some cases even restored.

I just brought this up the other day on a thread about THE GREAT GATSBY. The 1926 Paramount Silent version which is believed to be lost. The whole premise behind the term "Lost films" is hoping that someone will run accross a copy somewhere. But in the case of Paramount and Universal as well, many, many of their Silent's that do still exist are just like "lost films", since practically no one ever gets to see them anyway!

I suppose if a print were uncovered of THE GREAT GATSBY, THE AMERICAN VENUS, or maybe Ernst Lubitsch THE PATRIOT that Paramont would just nab it and stick it back in some other old vault anyway! So what good does it do if only a handful of historians are allowed access??? Makes zero sense to me!

My Niece, Her Husband, and their new Baby stopped by last night, so I did not have time to go to Photo-bucket. I am home the rest of the weekend, so with any luck I can get this all figured out. Although, I still need your direct link on the site. I do not have it.

Someone had previously posted some great stuff about Lon Chaney. I found this link to his first and only talkie, the remake of "The Unholy Three" released in 1930:

[Lon Chaney speaks (1930)|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZy6H4u1r18]

Chaney died only seven weeks after finishing this film. He had offers to star in some of Universal's early sound horror films, so who knows if he would have gone over in the sound era. If he had, is it possible we never would have heard of Karloff or Lugosi since Chaney would have taken their signature roles? Karloff had been doing gangster roles up until he made Frankenstein. Would we think of him today as one of the "Warner Gangsters" along with Cagney, Robinson, and Bogart?

Ironically, the last scene Chaney ever has on film is of him accepting a carton of cigarettes from someone who is seeing him off on the train to prison in "The Unholy Three". Chaney died of throat cancer from a lifetime of smoking.

Here's part 1 of a stills recreation of the lost London After Midnight starring Chaney:

[Part 1- London After Midnight|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpO9NX_sWgA]

The whole thing is posted, and it's also on the excellent Lon Chaney Collection. Supposedly Chaney's vampire in this film has Groucho Marx' famous gait. Watch it to the end, and, if you have the Warner Horror Collection from a few years back, see if you can realize what later Tod Browning film lifted this entire plot. Browning wrote the original story and directed this 1927 silent version.

We were supposed to get a second Lon Chaney set this year featuring both versions of the Unholy Three, Tell it to the Marines, He Who Gets Slapped, and a Tod Browning documentary. I haven't heard anything more about this since early this year.

Thelma, I'm not ignoring your suggestion to add artwork. Like gagman, I'm having technical difficulties with the procedure and will try again later this weekend.

calvinnme,

Thanks for the Chaney links. Apparently, you did not see my post yesterday about Tod Browning's THE BLACK BIRD (1926) needing to be included in the LON CHANEY VOLUME 2 Collection? To recap most of what I had to say,

Warner's promised us a TCM Archives Lon Chaney Collection 2 for 2008. The year is more than half over and nothing has been said about it. The set was to include HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924), THE UNHOLY THREE (1925), TELL IT TO THE MARINES (1926), and The Sound remake of THE UNHOLY THREE (1930).

In addition, there was to be a new documentary on Director Tod Browning. If that is the case, than it makes perfect sense to include the brand new 2005 restoration of Browning/Chaney's THE BLACK BIRD (1926) with Renee Adoree, and Owen Moore.The film has a Robert Israel score, and is in better condition than most any of Chaney's other surviving features! In-fact, this movie is probably my favorite of all Chaney's features. Why it would not be also a part of the set is beyond me? I personally like it much better than I do either HE WHO GETS SLAPPED or THE UNHOLY THREE, which both need new scores anyway. THE BLACK BIRD already has one!

Unlike most of Lon Chaney's films, THE BLACK BIRD appears to be in-tact from start to finish. There is no vital footage missing! Please go to TCM Movie-Data Base and vote for a DVD release! Also request the new restoration to air on our own TCM in this country! It has been shown on TCM Spain, but not here in the United States. I have asked about this several times, but got no answer.

If you want to see the new restoration of THE BLACK BIRD from 2005, with the Robert Israel score, please let TCM, and Warner's know about it! While I agree that George Hill's TELL IT TO THE MARINES with William Haines, and Eleanor Boardman should be in the next Chaney set, and I hope that it will be, THE BLACK BIRD simply must be a part of it as well!

Note, this is important, you will have to type a space between the words Black and Bird, or you will not find this movie in the TCM Movie Data Base. It's there, but many people have probably had a rough time locating it in the past?

Sorry gagman.

I do remember reading your post about Chaney, but for some reason forgot about the Chaney V2 info and just posted on top of it. This thread is getting really long, but it makes it fun to look through. I'd never even heard of the "The Black Bird" and its restoration until you mentioned it.

Do you suppose that some WHV classic projects such as Chaney V2 are victims of the bad economy? Earlier this year there was also mention of a release of all three versions of Showboat including the 1929 part-talkie and also a WWII musical set, and those projects seem to have gone up in smoke too.

Oh well, I guess it's easier for the studios to release recently made CGI-laden garbage that will be snapped up by large numbers of 14 year olds than to put out much older films and cross your fingers that people buy them.

calvinnme,

Well, the talk was that both HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, and THE UNHOLY THREE would both be getting new scores. These may not be recorded yet?

On a related note, David Shepard told us earlier in the year that the score to the new version of THE BIG PARADE had not been recorded either. Even though the restoration was completed in 2004! All very disappointing, I am hoping they will keep the original 1925 William Axt-David Mendoza score which was preformed live by Robert Israel and His 19 Piece Orchestra at several 80th Anniversary screenings in 2005. Though I also hope we will get the Thames version fully re-mastered with it's Carl Davis score in-tact.

As for THE BLACK BIRD, and TELL IT TO THE MARINES, the work is already completed. TELL IT TO THE MARINES in 2000, and THE BLACK BIRD in 2005. The scores, the restorations, the video presentations are done! All they have to do is press some DVD's. They could be out in a couple weeks! It's not that demanding of a task at this point! The Tod Browning documentary was produced last year I believe?

Interesting information gagman.

I'm looking forward to the day when they restore these films, store them digitally on some server, and allow us to pay for downloading these films directly from that server. Then we could burn them to DVD ourselves. That would allow the studios to eliminate distribution and manufacturing costs. Of course, they would have to have faith that we wouldn't go into mass production ourselves, but with DVRs they really don't have absolute assurances against that anymore either.

At least the studios could do this with their classic films where they don't see the same exploitation potential as they see on their new releases. I feel that is the only way we'll probably ever see some of the rarer and older films restored and in our hands.

Do you suppose that some WHV classic projects such as Chaney V2 are victims of the bad economy? Earlier this year there was also mention of a release of all three versions of Showboat including the 1929 part-talkie and also a WWII musical set, and those projects seem to have gone up in smoke too.

Oh well, I guess it's easier for the studios to release recently made CGI-laden garbage that will be snapped up by large numbers of 14 year olds than to put out much older films and cross your fingers that people buy them.>>

Calvin,

I think you have brought up a point that gets very little consideration when talking about the studios and DVD releases.

Hollywood studios and home video are not exempt from this stagnant economy and they are dealing with budget cuts and belt-tightening just like the majority of companies across the nation.

When many of these plans for upcoming releases were made the economic picture was a lot brighter (hard to believe that was only three years ago) but given today's bleak forecasts, studios may be waiting for better times before spending the money to put silents and many classic era DVDs on the market.

We have to remember, we are a very small niche market in the overall big picture of DVD sales and that likely has had an impact as well.

Lynn,

In the first place most of the major MGM Silent's should have been released 3 or 4 years ago. Call me cynical, but if the Video companies are looking for brighter times than they can forget it! This will never happen until man's appetite for Greed and corruption is curbed completely!

I generally agree with Glen Beck, But when He says don't blame the big Oil tycoons, we haven't had a new refinery built in this country in over 30 years! I can't support that. Heres why, He claims Congress is to blame for this, they have blocked further production at every turn for decades. The problem with this argument is that if the Oil companies are indeed raking in record profits, which they are, than they can afford to charge a couple dollars less per gallon, and probably still are going to be raking in record profits! It won't hurt them one damn bit! But it would sure help the people now wouldn't it?When Saudi- Arabia announced that they would increase production of oil by 300,000 barrels per year, this should have provided some relief, but it hasn't. The report was completely ignored. In my mind, that proves that much of this is a hoax!

Worse yet the Fed's seem to be content with things the way they are? Big Oil certainly is with all the extra cash flow! What are the Feds doing to strengthen the falling dollar? Nothing! It's amazing that I read allot of stuff about the "Housing Bubble", and how it was ready to burst clear back in the fall of 2004 yet! Way before it finally took place! So in other words, They could have prevented it from happening, but they didn't!

Jeffrey,

I don't want to for this wonderful thread to take a political turn for the worse. I was just agreeing with Calvin that the poor economic times may have something to do with WBHV's big plans to release more of their silents and classic era films.

Scoring of silents costs money, restorations cost money, marketing, advertising, it all costs money and if they had their budgets slashed then they may not be in a position to move forward at this time. Three or four years ago things were rosier, yes, but it takes time and effort to get films through the restoration process and it could be that the process is stalled by lack of budget.

I don't know if this is what is causing the backlog in getting their films to DVD but it seems like a very plausible possibility at least to me.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject as I don't want this thread to get mired down in politics.

Archived