Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your favorite movies that were shot in San Francisco

TripleHHH

Yes, Petulia was shot in SF, also What's Up Doc?, The Conversation, I Never Sang For My Father, Tillie And Gus, Towering Inferno, Butterflies Are Free, Hammet, Harold And Maude (in Hillsborough, 30 miles south of the City), The Subterranians, Foul Play, The Lady From Shanghai,

Impact, several movie serials in the thirties/forties, and for Television, San Francsico Beat, and The Streets Of San Francisco...to name just a few. San Francisco was a favorite locale for movie makers, for the obvious reason that it is a very visually stimulating place.

A few weeks ago TCM aired a rare little gem titled ?Stranded?, with Kay Francis, which contained a lot of film of the actual construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

There are quite a lot of 1930s films that are set in San Francisco.

Walter Mathau?s and Bruce Dern?s *The Laughing Policeman* comes to mind for me. Yeah, it?s from the 70s and that turns a lot of people off around here, but when I first saw this R rated crime thriller as a kid (my older sister took me and she told the ticket-taker she was my adult guardian ? though she was only 17 herself ?so we got in!) the brutal opening scene and dialogue between the cops and the thugs they confront to solve the crime struck me as very realistic. As the years have passed, the edge has softened to the point where, at times, it feels more like a "Dragnet" episode with cussing. Lots of SF landmarks jumped out at me when I visited there years later.

And one of my favorite 60s romantic comedies, *Man?s Favorite Sport?* with Rock Hudson and Paula Prentiss features Nob Hill (at least I think it?s Nob Hill) and other SF locales.

gee what about "the maltese falcon" (1941) ?

The thread title asked for films actually shot (at least in part) in San Francisco; THE MALTESE FALCON, while set in the city, was shot entirely at Warner Bros. in Burbank, (and a number of the titles listed below also never left Hollywood).

Someone previously mentioned What's Up, Doc?, but I thought that I would add to that. San Francisco was picked for this movie because of it's hills. If you watch, in almost every outside shot, there is a hill. It helps add to the comedy. Also, during the outrageous chase scene, the cars drive down the concrete steps in Alta Plaza park. These steps actually received damage, I believe it is still visible today. As a result of the damage caused by this movie, San Francisco now requires a permit application with scene by scene details. I just though that was kind of funny. Hope you enjoy the info! (And if you haven't seen this movie, you really should. It's humorous and all of the cast turns in wonderful performances. :) )

I have to say that if Starstruck had not mentioned "What's Up, Doc?" I would have had to. The SF locations are integral to the ridiculous chase scene in the last half of the movie. I agree, you simply must watch it if you are a fan of screwball comedy. It is one of the most fun movies I have ever seen, and both my sister and I have fond memories of giggling through it in the movie theatre.......

maybe this has been posted by now but how about "hell on frisco bay" with alan and e.g? i like the scene where e.g. tries to make alan ladd an offer he can't refuse. it takes place in e.g's kitchen. alan's reply is "what have you been smoking?" (i guess that was a "no"). and i wonder how many of the 1950's viewing audience caught on to what alan was suggesting mr. robinson was inhaling. maybe a lucky or a camel?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings