Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Creative Cutting" by TCM

hlywdkjk

OK. This isn't about the programming on TCM. Just a pet peeve this morning. (Can't help it. I'm always "peevish" on Monday mornings.)

TCM is running three new station promos lately each around the idea of "Creative Cutting" - the schoolgirl with her scissors, the butcher with his meat slicer and the steelworker with his acetelyne torch. Each of these promos are meant to reinforce the idea that TCM doesn't edit ("cut") their films for presentation on the channel.

Yet the visual messages found in these promos is exactly the _opposite_ ! In each promo, the subject "creates" the TCM logo from their handiwork. It associates TCM with the act of "cutting" or removal of part from the whole. And I know that isn't what TCM intends to convey in these spots - but that's what I see there.

I know the voice-over says something about TCM doesn't know how to cut - but that is "lost" when looking at the visual representation. The visual message "trumps" the audio message.

Rather than have the subjects "creating" the TCM logo from their act of cutting, I think it would have been better for the spot to show something branded with the TCM logo that wasn't or couldn't have been altered by their handiwork - such as a clean piece of paper with the TCM logo that girl can't alter (or chooses not to alter.). Maybe she picks it up but then puts it aside. The butcher picks up a thick steak marked "TCM" that wouldn't fit into the slicer or a large Italian sausage with the TCM logo but lays aside "untouched". And maybe the steelworker uses his torch attempting to cut a piece of window glass branded with the TCM logo to no avail. Or maybe show a metal film can with the TCM logo laying around at the end of each spot.

But don't put the TCM logo on the altered object! Visually, you've just "undercut" what you wanted to express. TCM is usually so good at their station promos but these leave me scratching my head.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Kyle In Hollywood

Not a morning person, eh, Kyle?

Well, perhaps the thought of the single best ad campaign that TCM _ever_ did might put a smile on your face. If you click *

*, you can see the kid version of *Ben-Hur*. I can't recall the ad agency who prepared this one again, but they were great!

"Hate keeps a man alive" indeed. Especially on Blue Mondays.

Moira:

I can't see it since it's on Youtube but I remember it and thought it was great. I also like the "Rocky" version at the retirement home. We could do with a few more. (I collect some of the little features.) I like the monthly promos (music videos) but I don't think we've had one this year.

Kyle:

I don't have the same reaction as you for the promo. I am usually to tired in the morning to rant about much.(Good night's sleep? Not likely.) Check with me in the afternoon though.

As an experienced reader of corporate "tea leaves", I have to be impressed with the substance of the message, and that is that they will not cut. We can take exception to the style of the message, as kyle did, but the really important thing is that they are publicly sticking their necks out and committing to the idea of films uncut with commercials. That IS key! The more often they show these spots, the more they are reinforcing a promise and a commitment to their viewers. I was a bit reassured when I started seeing these adverts.

Thelma

>As an experienced reader of corporate "tea leaves", I have to be impressed with the substance of the message, and that is that they will not cut.

After having worked within the corporate television industry most of my life, I can tell you that TCM is using the ?do not cut? promos ONLY to justify foul language that is turning up in the more modern films they are now airing. The promos mean that TCM will not cut out the foul language.

But it does NOT mean that films they receive that have already been cut, edited, altered, panned and scanned, will be restored to their original theatrical versions. As many people have complained on this board, TCM is showing ?cut? films, that are already cut before TCM receives them.

These ?do not cut? promos merely represent a corporate ploy that is designed to made the viewers think that their ?do not cut? policy has something to do with ?art?.

So, you will hear every ?f***?, every ?s***?, and every ?G******? that was originally put in the films of the ?60s, ?70s, ?80s, ?90s, etc., and you are supposed to be ?proud? of that fact, since TCM has the ?do not cut? policy.

But it does NOT mean that films they receive that have already been cut, edited, altered, panned and scanned, will be restored to their original theatrical versions. As many people have complained on this board, TCM is showing ?cut? films, that are already cut before TCM receives them.>>

And when TCM airs a master that they received from the studio or the distributor that is edited/cut/altered or pan and scan, TCMProgrammr will come here and post that they received an altered master and that TCM will do everything it can to air the complete or letterboxed version in the months ahead.

And usually they do.

It's not like TCM is trying to pull a fast one on us by showing altered/cut/edited or pan and scan versions but sometimes that is what they receive.

And, in the end, they try to make it right by us.

I was pointing out the reason for the ?we don?t cut? promos.

They never had to air such promos before the past couple of years when they started showing all the newer movies with so much profanity and vulgarity in them, and they started receiving complaints from viewers about these films and their profanity.

And, speaking of ?we don?t cut?, where is the sound track for the film ?The Great Train Robbery? which TCM consistently airs with no sound track at all, whereas I used to see this film on TV and in theaters in the 1950s and ?60s with either a piano score track or an orchestra track. Who removed the track and why does TCM air this film without any track whatsoever?

Fred,

"Uncut and commercial free" is one of the things that TCM can say about itself to help viewers distinguish between TCM and AMC. While we the faithful have no problem telling the two apart but many other people do. It's an easy to remember phrase and one that says it all very concisely.

The LATimes a few months ago had Robert Osbourn as the host of AMC. TCMProgrammr has posted here that people get the two channels call letters confused all the time.

As for the soundtrack to *Great Train Robbery*, obviously the company that TCM gets the master from does not have the soundtrack. Why? I don't know, rights issues over the music is the first thing I think of.

But, whoever the distributor is, TCM obviously has a rental agreement with them which probably makes it impossible for TCM to get the rights from someone else.

Fred,

Did you miss the rest of the sentence I wrote:

*While we the faithful have no problem telling the two apart but many other people do.*

*The LATimes a few months ago had Robert Osbourn as the host of AMC. TCMProgrammr has posted here that people get the two channels call letters confused all the time.*

Again, I'm not saying everyone has a problem with distinguishing between the call letters of TCM and AMC, but a great many people, including writers for newspapers and national magazines, do.

>The LATimes a few months ago had Robert Osbourn as the host of AMC.

What does that have to do with the "we don't cut" promos?

Maybe TCM needs to air some cute animated "T......C......M" promos, with dancing letters dancing around Mr. Osborne's head.

*"...you can see the kid version of Ben-Hur. ""Hate keeps a man alive" indeed. "* - moirafinnie6

But you left out the best part - the little 'cough' that follows that line! Adorable.

I, too am very fond of that promo - trampling hobby horses and all - but my heart (and head) goes to the Ice Capades production of *The Dirty Dozen" from that same series of promos.

"Skate Jefferson, Skate"

Kyle (don't know if they actually say that) In Hollywood

*"Never thought of those 'promos' in that light. Sometimes a 'sedated' brain can see what is not obvious under more 'conscious' conditions."* - mr6666

I think I understand. It's kinda like why "The Three Stooges" are only funny early in the morning before rational thinking has completely kicked in..

I still believe the verbal message is contradicted by the visual message of cutting and slicing in these spots. Especially when the TCM logo appears on the object that was being "cut".

But, then again, maybe I have seen the montage sequence from *The Parallax View* one too many times to be objective about the power of visual imagery.

Kyle In Hollywood

Well, well, well, they didn?t cut ?pig sh*t? out of the ?High Plains Drifter? sound track. Isn?t that just great! I love to hear ?pig sh*t? in the dialogue of movies, don?t you? It?s so ?intellectual? in ?classic movies?, isn?t it? Now, aren?t we all very proud that TCM airs a copy of ?The Great Train Robbery? that has no sound track at all, but they don?t cut ?pig sh*t? out of ?High Plains Drifter?! Wow.

Fred:

I thing someone did delete THAT word. In the scene where the barn is being torn down the man runs up and says "What the ______ are you doing to my barn?"

Tthe other odd thing was why would they show a movie this adult oriented at 10pm ET and show the far more family friendly "Operation Petticoat" at midnight. It seems they would have been better being switched on the schedule.

Chris

>I thing someone did delete THAT word. In the scene where the barn is being torn down the man runs up and says "What the ______ are you doing to my barn?"

Hi,

I stopped watching the movie, so I didn't see that part. According to a transcript of the film, the words that were cut were "greasy ba****s".

This was apparently cut so as not to offend Hispanics or Mexicans.

Here is the transcript:

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/h/high-plains-drifter-script-transcript.html

You can find the quote by searching for the key word "barn" in the script.

So, it seems ok to cut out "greasy ba****s", but not ok to cut out "pig sh*t".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings