Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clint Walker R.I.P. 1927-2018

Clint Walker (May 30, 1927 - May 21, 2018) has died. The giant-sized (6'6'') TV and movie tough guy made his name with the smash hit TV series Cheyenne from 1955 to 1963. 

Born in Hartford, Illinois as Norman Eugene Walker, he worked a variety of blue-collar jobs and had a stint in the Merchant Marine before landing his first acting gig in 1954's Bowery Boys flick Jungle Gents. He also filmed a minor role in DeMille's The Ten Commandments before landing his signature role as Cheyenne Bodie in Cheyenne

He appeared in many other TV shows and films, notably The Dirty DozenThe Night of the Grizzly, and More Dead Than Alive.

jlldgdm3ynpk3y.jpg?skj2io4l

2107e050cda47fe05e8a743f332c5bbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

The very personification of a movie-TV hunk. 

I wasn't aware he was originally from Illinois.

His pleasant manner made him a pleasure to watch on screen.

There's a fun 1966 episode of The Lucy Show where he and Lucy are up on a construction platform.

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 2.08.44 PM.png

That scene in "Send Me No Flowers" where he can hardly get out of that tiny sportscar makes me laugh just thinking about it. He was also a real he-man in "Cheyenne" which was one of my dad's favorite Western shows. So sorry to hear he has died. Thanks for the update.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

"Cheyenne, Cheyenne where will you be camping tonight ?

Lonely man, Cheyenne will your heart stay free and light?

Cheyenne, Cheyenne"

I remember Cheyenne! What a hunk Clint was.. R.I.P.

• Like 1

I remember as a kid watching Cheyenne with my dad. The only episode I can recall

was one where he had to fight a big bear in a cave, or maybe it was a big Indian

in a cave or maybe both in a cave. Yeah, pretty catchy theme song too.

14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And just about the sweetest guy who was ever on TV!

Hopefully some network will have a Cheyenne marathon soon.......

• Thanks 1

Clint Walker is in one of my favorite scenes in "The Dirty Dozen". Wise guy John Cassavetes is bullying the short guy in the group, the towering Walker comes over and says "You're pretty hard on the little guy, would you like to try that with me?" Cassavetes just nervously laughs and walks off.

• Haha 1

When I was but a wee-lad my mother told me that he had suffered a massive ski accident & a poll actually went through his heart?   May have been gossip, enquirer,etc

Only guys left from "Dirty Dozen" are now Jim Brown, 82 & D. Sutherland, 84

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Clint Walker is in one of my favorite scenes in "The Dirty Dozen". Wise guy John Cassavetes is bullying the short guy in the group, the towering Walker comes over and says "You're pretty hard on the little guy, would you like to try that with me?" Cassavetes just nervously laughs and walks off.

& of all names for this guy was "Posey"

22 hours ago, Hibi said:

Well supposedly, H&I network shows the program at 6;00am every weekday morning.

Used to watch it regularly as a kid too.  But not up early enough to catch the H&I broadcasts.

RIP Clint.  Old fan here, too.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 5/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, Vautrin said:

I remember as a kid watching Cheyenne with my dad. The only episode I can recall

was one where he had to fight a big bear in a cave, or maybe it was a big Indian

in a cave or maybe both in a cave. Yeah, pretty catchy theme song too.

This fight scene Clint has with the equally large and imposing Leo Gordon in an episode Cheyenne is also pretty memorable I'd say...

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, spence said:

Only guys left from "Dirty Dozen" are now Jim Brown, 82 & D. Sutherland, 84

They aren't the only ones left. Trini Lopez is still around, at age 81. And Colin Maitland (75) & Stuart Cooper (76), two of the other Dirty Dozen who weren't big names, are still alive.

Little known fact here, but originally there was to be 13 of those guys.

Yep, Don Rickles was to be cast as the guy.

(...but the producers thought the title "The Dirty Baker's Dozen" didn't quite have the same ring to it and so Rickles' role was written out) 

;)

• Haha 2
On 5/23/2018 at 8:41 AM, Hibi said:

Cheyenne was broadcast in tandem with Bronco and Sugarfoot.

Bronco Lane was played by the unfortunate Ty Hardin. He died a few years back.

But I believe the cute Will Hutchins of Sugarfoot fame is still with us.

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

This fight scene Clint has with the equally large and imposing Leo Gordon in an episode Cheyenne is also pretty memorable I'd say...

Yeah, they're really going at it. Not only did Leo lose the fight, but he destroyed quite a

lot of his property too. I don't think I've seen Cheyenne since I was a kid, so I don't recall

the episodes very well. I do seem to recall they were sponsored by a cig company with a

trail of smoke coming from the coffin nail.

It was the way of mogul Jack Warner to make his TV stars do double duty in the movies, but with the Single TV contractual salary.

Just like James Cagney, Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland before him, James Garner fought the system. But not before appearing in "Up Periscope "- - which I was fortunate enough to get to see first run and it was good. It was exciting  to see Maverick in Technicolor.

In the late 50s I can remember that the movie mags were advertising Clint Walker for a movie that he had to do in addition to Cheyenne. The movie was called "Yellowstone Kelly" and of course I never got to see it. But I was wondering if anybody else had a chance to see it and what it was like?

This then 7 y/o vaguely remembers seeing YK at the drive-in with my parents back in '59, and so I don't remember such about it.

(...however, it seems to have gotten fairly good reviews over at the IMDb website)

• Thanks 1