Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clint Walker R.I.P. 1927-2018


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

 Cheyenne was broadcast in tandem with Bronco and Sugarfoot.

Bronco Lane was played by the unfortunate Ty Hardin. He died a few years back.

But I believe the cute Will Hutchins of Sugarfoot fame is still with us.

I've been habitually watching the MAVERICK reruns shown on both H&I weekdays at 11 am, and on MeTV on weekends.  Another in the WB television westerns line-up, along with LAWMAN(John Russell) and COLT 45( Wade Preston) and those already mentioned.

I watched them all, and now notice too, in the MAVERICK reruns that they'd "slyly" promote the other shows by having the stars of them appear in some Maverick episodes.  Either as their TV show characters, or just as another episodic character.  Clint(so far) is the only WB "star" I haven't seen in a Maverick rerun (so far....).  ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've been habitually watching the MAVERICK reruns shown on both H&I weekdays at 11 am, and on MeTV on weekends.  Another in the WB television westerns line-up, along with LAWMAN(John Russell) and COLT 45( Wade Preston) and those already mentioned.

I watched them all, and now notice too, in the MAVERICK reruns that they'd "slyly" promote the other shows by having the stars of them appear in some Maverick episodes.  Either as their TV show characters, or just as another episodic character.  Clint(so far) is the only WB "star" I haven't seen in a Maverick rerun (so far....).  ;) 

Sepiatone

You must have blinked during the Season 4 episode "Hadley's Hunters" with Jack Kelly as Bart Maverick.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've been habitually watching the MAVERICK reruns shown on both H&I weekdays at 11 am, and on MeTV on weekends.  Another in the WB television westerns line-up, along with LAWMAN(John Russell) and COLT 45( Wade Preston) and those already mentioned.

I watched them all, and now notice too, in the MAVERICK reruns that they'd "slyly" promote the other shows by having the stars of them appear in some Maverick episodes.  Either as their TV show characters, or just as another episodic character.  Clint(so far) is the only WB "star" I haven't seen in a Maverick rerun (so far....).  ;) 

Sepiatone

If my memory serves me correct and it may not because I don't own this book:

In James Garner's Autobiography on the back inside cover, he has that famous shot of all the WB Western Stars. And it seems like Clint Walker is not in that shot either.  Maybe somebody can pull it up and we can see them all.

 The one western actor I always remember, because he never became very well known or a star, is Wade Preston in "Colt 45".

You say that they're showing "Colt 45" on Me-TV - - I wonder if anybody actually remembers him from the old days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

If my memory serves me correct and it may not because I don't own this book:

In James Garner's Autobiography on the back inside cover, he has that famous shot of all the WB Western Stars. And it seems like Clint Walker is not in that shot either.  Maybe somebody can pull it up and we can see them all.

800px-warner_brothers_television_western

1.jpg

 

GarnerClintbde6.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

800px-warner_brothers_television_western

 

 

GarnerClintbde6.jpg

So, was Garner standing on ALAN LADD's special "riser"?  Or was Clint down in a hole?  ;)

I knew there was some noticeable difference in their heights.  :D 

Clint WAS a big man.  On "Pawn Stars" one episode, some guy brought in Clint's sport coat(he claimed) from SEND ME NO FLOWERS.  Shop owner Rick Harrison tried it on for kicks, and it draped on him and made him look like a little kid trying on his Dad's suit coat.  :D 

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

So, was Garner standing on ALAN LADD's special "riser"?  Or was Clint down in a hole?  ;)

I knew there was some noticeable difference in their heights.  :D 

Clint WAS a big man.  On "Pawn Stars" one episode, some guy brought in Clint's sport coat(he claimed) from SEND ME NO FLOWERS.  Shop owner Rick Harrison tried it on for kicks, and it draped on him and made him look like a little kid trying on his Dad's suit coat.  :D 

Sepiatone

Maybe it's the hat that he has on plus the Western heels that Elevate him a little, but James Bumgarner was no slouch at 6'2".

In fact Bret Maverick would have towered over most men then and today.

At 6'6" Clint was certainly a giant  and today probably would have been Scouted out as a basketball player, instead of being discovered as an actor.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Maybe it's the hat that he has on plus the Western heels that Elevate him a little, but James Bumgarner was no slouch at 6'2".

In fact Bret Maverick would have towered over most men then and today.

At 6'6" Clint was certainly a giant  and today probably would have been Scouted out as a basketball player, instead of being discovered as an actor.

This of course would've all depended upon upon how well Clint could've played that sport.

(...not that many extremely tall guy actors were or are as much of a natural athlete as the 6'5" Chuck Connors was, and who played in both the MLB and NBA leagues back in the day, ya know Princess)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

This of course would've all depended upon upon how well Clint could've played that sport.

(...not that many extremely tall guy actors were or are as much of a natural athlete as the 6'5" Chuck Connors was, and who played in both the MLB and NBA leagues back in the day, ya know Princess)

I'm the original classic TV Guide Maven. I got the biggest kick out of seeing Chuck Connors in those articles on The Rifleman in those old photos of his baseball days. If I think hard enough, maybe I can bring up some other actors who also played Sports.

Back in those days you know Dargo, TV Guide was my source to the Stars. 

 As far as tall guys playing basketball,  when I was  a ding dong bell preschooler,  my dad used to go down to  Allen Fieldhouse to watch Wilt Chamberlain.  Daddy said he was pretty good at that game, even though he was a bit taller than most of the other players. He took pictures of him just show me and I just couldn't believe it. LOL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm the original classic TV Guide Maven. I got the biggest kick out of seeing Chuck Connors in those articles on The Rifleman in those old photos of his baseball days. If I think hard enough, maybe I can bring up some other actors who also played Sports.

Back in those days you know Dargo, TV Guide was my source to the Stars. 

 As far as tall guys playing basketball,  when I was  a ding dong bell preschooler,  my dad used to go down to  Allen Fieldhouse to watch Wilt Chamberlain.  Daddy said he was pretty good at that game, even though he was a bit taller than most of the other players. He took pictures of him just show me and I just couldn't believe it. LOL

Yep, this would've been during Wilt's Kansas U. college career of course, and during a time he was fairly lean and lithe, and similarly to how if looking at old pictures of Chuck Connors during his college and then even later during his short professional career with the Boston Celtics, he too was fairly lean and lithe.

And so then regarding your earlier positing the thought that Walker might have been scouted for basketball due to his height, because Clint was always more musclebound, I doubt he would've made a decent basketball player.

(...Clint might have made a pretty decent defensive lineman in the NFL though, and once again depending how quick he could've moved in a distance of 5 to 10 yards)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Always thought Clint would've also been well cast in (and speaking of Chuck Connors earlier) the Connors role as Stephen "Adam" Burkett in another Doris Day rom-com...the remake of My Favorite Wife titled Move Over, Darling (1963), and the role that Randolph Scott(please now remove your hats ;) ) played in the original.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody remember "Snowbeast" - a TV movie from the 70's?

It starred Yvette Mimmieux, Robert Logan and Clint Walker.

He also starred in a short-lived TV series, "Kodiak".

Does anybody remember that one?

06_06_actor_clint_walker_014-e1411785457

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, I hadn't heard this.  Sad news.  The town I live in is just a couple of miles from Hartford.  When I was a teenager, Clint came back to Hartford to speak during a celebration there.  Some friends and I went there to try and see him - he was so handsome!  I loved watching Cheyenne back in the day.  R.I.P.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Clint both on film and on TV. A very formidable presence and a unique guy. Had the pleasure of speaking to him once. A true gentleman. I was deeply saddened by his passing. RIP Big Guy!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...