Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Battleground"

annagram

I like this movie too. Depicts war and soldier life without being preachy on any particular point. Excellent cast, sharp dialogue, rich characterizations, esprit de corps. Van Johnson and James Whitmore are standouts (Whitmore?s ?About face!? makes a sharp little punch line, doesn?t it?) as are Ricardo Montalban, John Hodiak, and Leon Ames as the Chaplain who delivers his sermons in the field.

Dore Schary won the corner office at MGM not long after he produced this one, but aside from his ?I Love Lucy? episode, I can?t think of anything else he did. This had to be a high point for him. I have it on home-recorded VHS. I hope TCM gets a chance at it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

It's out on DVD now, and I saw it via Netflix.

I liked it, and it is a well-made movie, but it has been copied so often that even though I saw the movie for the first time, it felt like I had already seen it several times. (The Bastogne episode of "Band of Brothers" really owed a lot to "Battleground.")

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else aware of the fact that these movies made in the 40s and 50s, with actors who often had served in the military, or were closer in age to those that did, seem more 'believable' vrs those made in the last 30 years? Not counting those where the actor/soldiers attended some form of 'bootcamp' for the film (examples; 'Band of Brothers', 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Blackhawk Down').

• 1 month later...

BongoBill wrote: Anyone else aware of the fact that these movies made in the 40s and 50s, with actors who often had served in the military, or were closer in age to those that did, seem more 'believable' vrs those made in the last 30 years?

That's because many of the older actors who performed as GIs avoided serving in the military during the Vietnam years but wanted some historical reference to their having served. After Vietnam there was no shortage of draft dodgers in Hollywood seeking to make a Vietnam War movie.

What was really bad was that some of these draft dodgers made POW rescue movies, when in fact not a single American was rescued from a POW camp in Vietnam throughout the war.

Phill

http://www.americanwarlibrary.com/a44/pcole.htm

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings