Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"

annagram

Hi! I couldn't agree MORE!!!! It's a "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" is my absolute most favorite movie!!! There is no way anyone could be in a bad mood watching that movie! The cast is outrageous!!! Many "old-timers"!!!! And, I have watched it so many times that I know the dialog almost verbatium! It is often shown during Thanksgiving on the TV.

Another good movie is "Murder by Death" and "Clue" ... I adore the older movies with these movies have a great cast of characters as well.

• 3 weeks later...

"Murder By Death" funnier than "Mad Mad World?" I don't think so. I never thought "Murder By Death" was funny. I find it very slow, poorly directed, largely wasting the talents of great stars like Niven and Sellers. Only Falk is mildly amusing as Bogie. Neil Simon having an off-day. Any Carol Burnett sketch is funnier than this whole movie. And Truman Capote - embarrassing. Simon wanted Orson Welles in that role, which probably wouldn't have helped...

• 5 weeks later...

I think "Mad" is too long. "MBD" is a great farce. As far wasting talents of Niven and others, well, take any great actor (my favs include Nicholson and Bill Murray), they have movies in which they aren't the main characters (MBD is a perfect example of a flick which focuses on zaniness rather than the actor (or even the characters).It could be that Niven is known for sophistication (I've only seen him in Death on the Nile, so is that correct?) and in MBD, since the focus is not on any character, you could make a case that MBD is a "shortcoming for the actor).

With Peter Falk (I know, I know, don't start a sentence with a preposition), it is easier to put him in a higher regard as far as his role in MBD because he is best known as Colombo (a detective) and in MBD he is a detective)

nuff said I don't want to ramble, MBD and IAMMMMW are both great)

Actually I like them both, they are good in there own way. Mad has so many very funny moments there is just too many to list here. I swear everything I see it, I see something I did not see it before...and I own that film on DVD. MBD on the other hand is a great detective spoof, and that ending still gets me no matter how many times I have seen it.

• 1 year later...

I thought the ending of MBD is not SUPPOSED to make any sense. Characters pretending to be other characters pretending to be other characters and the final revelation is that the whole plot was masterminded by . . . oh well, why bother to spoil it? I think Neil Simon was trying to make fun of mystery writers who will defy all logic in their quest to come up with an "I-didn't-see-that-coming" finale. (Perhaps M. Night Shamalyan saw this movie as a kid and didn't get that it was a comedy.)

• 1 month later...

I saw this movie when it was first released (I believe it was 1963 but don't hold me to it). Seeing it back then and traveling hundreds of miles from Ohio to Chicago in order to see it in it's original format Cinerama (3 screens) was a experience as a young lad I have never forgotten.

I hear people stay it wasn't all that funny and then I always wonder what they do find humorous. There were several sub plots as each set of great comics of that time would end up in outrageous situations all caused by their greed in doing whatever it took to try and find that "Big W" where supposedly a lot of money had been hidden.

Whether it was Buddy Hackett and Mickey Rooney trying to get a runaway airplane under control because their pilot who was drunk and knocked unconscious. Or like when Sid Caesar and Dorothy Provine became trapped in the basement of a hardware store where they got into one comical tragedy after another just trying to get out. Or the many other countless similar hilarious situations.

I seriously doubt that any Comedy Motion Picture ever had as many great comedians in one movie as this one.

Anyone who loves Comedy and didn't have a great time with this movie should consider some serious therapy...

Maurice Covert

I agree with the previous post, Mad, Mad, Mad World is one of the funniest movies of all time. Not only because of the sheer number of great comedians in the picture, but each one of them had some great moments in this film. Small correction, Edie Adams plays Sid Caesar's wife, Dorothy Provine is Berle's wife. And Dorothy has the honor of being the first one to spot the "Big W". Ernie Kovacs was supposed to be in the film, not sure which part he would have had or if his character would have been an addition to the story. Edie received a lot of encouragement during the filming, it was so soon after her husband's death. I always think of my father when I see Paul Ford, my pop really liked him in movies.

Ernie Kovacs was set to play Melville Crump the dentist. It was going to be his first movie with his wife Edie Adams, but sadly, it wasn't meant to be. But I thought Sid Caesar was wonderful in the role and worked great with Edie.

Never saw the movie in the theater. I remember being at the New York Worlds Fair in 64 and it was playing. My parents said, "we didn't come here for you to see a movie" or words to that effect. Good to see your up and well Smiler. I thought you were a goner after that crash. Didn't you kick the bucket?

Are you kiddin'? I didn't kick no bucket. The whole thing was a gag on those five schnooks who came down to the car wreck. "Aunt Belle, say it don't make any difference!" Ha! Suckers!

Smiler Grogan,

Everybody's Friend

I guess that means Sid Caesar wasn't going to be in the movie , unless he would have done another role. They say a lot of stars were contacted for parts and some turned it down. Then the movie got to be a big deal and everyone wanted in. I wonder if its true there was some unused footage featuring other performers that was discarded, never to be seen by the public.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings