Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

film colorizing should be re-engaged

It is being used in old war footage as in WWI or WWII for example.

People just feel it will somehow devalue the black and white versions.

Those black and whites aren't going anywhere. Sound came in 91 years ago yet, channels such as TCM still play silents. I like new technology myself. But, the originals still are important.

• Like 2

I agree with you, GGG! It used to be horrid with faded tones, skin colors seeping into other areas like the collar or hair, and just in general, looked crappy.

But now it is so advanced and looks so real, that I see no reason for it not to be utilized. I do like there to be both versions when I buy something on dvd though. I guess we could get into the validity of changing the original vision of the director or producer, but as long as both versions are still extant, it doesn't seem to be a horrible transgression.

Personally I like black and white films, and think many would look horrid in color but it still doesn't bother me if someone wants to try. It's not like they decided to paint the statue of David in Florence, Italy with bright day-glo colors or anything.

• Like 1

I look forward to the day when modern technology can not only colourize all black and white films but replace the soundtracks of those old '30s and '40s films with music that really connects today. How about Citizen Kane with a hip hop sound?

Meanwhile, hopefully we will also be able to digitally replace some of the lead actors and actresses of those black and white creakers with performances by some of today's stars. Goodbye Bette Davis. Hello Ashley Judd!

I can hardly wait to see Ashley gun down that old lover at the beginning of a colourized version of The Letter, with Justin Bieber singing on the soundtrack any time there's a shot of that moon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I say no to colorization.  Black and white cinema is an art form done with special lighting and techniques. The images would be lost in translation. Color films are done with different photographic techniques and lighting.

Take an example of black and white photography. It too is an art form. For example, it would be sacrilege to COLORIZE ANSEL ADAMS PHOTOGRAPHS.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I'm into classic film is I like to see what others saw/heard in another time. Some things must be added to give us a better movie going experience. For example, nobody wants to watch a purely silent film. Nobody in the 20s saw a purely silent film - all of the movie houses had some kind of musical accompaniment. However, we don't have the benefit of listening to live accompaniment most of the time, so people compose music and put soundtracks on old silent films. TCM once had the Young Composers' Competition to do just that sort of thing, but they stopped around 2007. Likewise, when films are digitized, the audio and visuals are cleaned up as much as is possible. But the black and white films were made a certain way with certain cinematography techniques because they were black and white. To colorize them may make them more attractive to some, but you are having to guess as to WHAT looks attractive and you are likely wrong as to the exact colors that were involved.

Too late to make a long story short, if something just gives us a truer idea of what the original film looked like or sounded like, I am OK with that. I am not OK with people substituting what they think is more artistic or "hip" for the original filmmaker's vision.

Why stop there Nip? Why not let Kathleen Kennedy fix the original Star Wars. I mean, look at it! All of the humanoids in the 77 film are white! Let's digitally wield that Social Justice Hammer (TM) and add some diversity! And what is this???  The rebel pilots are all MALE??? We can't have that! And why should Han shoot Greedo at all? After all guns are BAD! Let's have Han use some kind of mind trick and hypnotize Greedo so that he falls into a deep sleep and Han just walks away.

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I look forward to the day when modern technology can not only colourize all black and white films but replace the soundtracks of those old '30s and '40s films with music that really connects today. How about Citizen Kane with a hip hop sound?

Meanwhile, hopefully we will also be able to digitally replace some of the lead actors and actresses of those black and white creakers with performances by some of today's stars. Goodbye Bette Davis. Hello Ashley Judd!

I can hardly wait to see Ashley gun down that old lover at the beginning of a colourized version of The Letter, with Justin Bieber singing on the soundtrack any time there's a shot of that moon.

Actually Tom, in a manner of speaking and as I'm sure you've seen(the following video is now about 4 years old), there's this hit Bruno Mars song "Uptown Funk" which was used in place of the original music used in these various films' clips, and truth be known, I've always thought this video was very well done and quite entertaining...

(...and although I know this wasn't exactly your point here)

• Like 2

I'm actually warming up to colorization. The colorized version of the Jolly Fellows looks very good.

Related image

Reminds me a bit of the early two strip technicolor.

On 5/26/2018 at 1:19 PM, Dargo said:

Actually Tom, in a manner of speaking and as I'm sure you've seen(the following video is now about 4 years old), there's this hit Bruno Mars song "Uptown Funk" which was used in place of the original music used in these various films' clips, and truth be known, I've always thought this video was very well done and quite entertaining...

(...and although I know this wasn't exactly your point here)

That's pretty neat, but they still need to colorize it.  :P

Since you posted that, here's one that I've had around for a while.  This is two songs spliced together with beat-mixing software.  The brighter sounding tune which makes up the bulk of it is New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle.  It also has parts from Depeche Mode - Strangelove, which has a darker sound.

This is just random clips (mostly B&W) from around the Internet that the poster admitted he cobbled together, without having any idea about.  Probably some clips from some foreign titles as well.  Check out the one girl in a white and red polka-dotted shirt grooving by herself - I think she kinda looks like a young Judith Durham (of The Seekers).

• Like 1

I don't believe in colorization any more than enhanced stereo. Good B&W is better than bad color, just like good monaural is better than bad stereo. Once you colorize a film, it won't display properly in B&W. Keeping the original in B&W is fine, but then, who at TCM decides which version gets played? 

Sorry, but you will NEVER sell me on colorization. 

I am a B&W purist to the end.

The only way you will ever get me in front of a colorized version of an original B&W film is to pry open my cold, dead eyes and tape them to the screen!?

• Haha 1
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:59 AM, Sundance said:

I  have the 1945 & '46 version of "The Big Sleep."

I combined some scenes from 1945 version deleted from the '46 version plus added sepia-tone color for my own personal viewing.

1952271945_TheBigSleep05.jpg.cbc7dc8b9893dc20e8c59f498940b168.jpg

lauren bacall certainly had nice legs.

:)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Sorry, but you will NEVER sell me on colorization. 

I am a B&W purist to the end.

The only way you will ever get me in front of a colorized version of an original B&W film is to pry open my cold, dead eyes and tape them to the screen!?

I agreed with this last night, but my post and another post were deleted. On the other hand Beth ... eww.

34 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I got it! B&W purists are partially color blind.

This could and should be deleted too. Any negative reference to blindness, is totally inappropriate, and offensive.

17 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

This could and should be deleted too. Any negative reference to blindness, is totally inappropriate, and offensive.

Nipkow has vision problems himself, so I'm surprised he'd joke about it.

Wait...no, I'm not surprised. 

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Nipkow has vision problems himself, so I'm surprised he'd joke about it.

Wait...no, I'm not surprised. 

I am visually impaired as well. It is life altering and not humorous.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I got it! B&W purists are partially color blind.

:lol:

So I'm colorblind just because I (as well as others) prefer the original B&W movies in B&W?

We can agree to disagree, but you don't have to be so insulting about it. You have the right to prefer colorized movies from the original B&W, I have the right to stick with B&W all the way.

BTW jimmymac71, I am sorry if my post upset you, certainly hadn't been my intention.