Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

film colorizing should be re-engaged

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

So I'm colorblind just because I (as well as others) prefer the original B&W movies in B&W?

We can agree to disagree, but you don't have to be so insulting about it. You have the right to prefer colorized movies from the original B&W, I have the right to stick with B&W all the way.

BTW jimmymac71, I am sorry if my post upset you, certainly hadn't been my intention.

Guess I went a little too visual with your comment. Don't be sorry. I'm not upset.

For me, colorizing a black and white film is as bad as pan and scan. Many of us love TCM as they don't tinker with the real thing.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:00 AM, cigarjoe said:

I 'd rather actually go the other way, and see how some color Neo Noir films would look in Black and White. ?

That's an interesting theory. I wonder too, if a film concocted by a cinematography expert, like John Alton to be in color, which was unusual for him, would look in black and white. Thanks, CJ!

I would prefer seeing movies with poor audio cleaned up instead. TCM and/or my television provider, don't boost the quiet or reduce the loud very well. Funny, the sound in silent films, seems to be high quality. Is it the original soundtrack, or newly created? So, how is colorization done today? I would think AI, not humans. If you want stuff colorized, just tell Hollywood, Disney and Pixar, it can't be done.

1 hour ago, jimmymac71 said:

Funny, the sound in silent films, seems to be high quality. Is it the original soundtrack, or newly created? So, how is colorization done today? I would think AI, not humans. 

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but the soundtrack is either newly created or reconstructed based on what the pit orchestras played when it was released.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but the soundtrack is either newly created or reconstructed based on what the pit orchestras played when it was released.

Sometimes I watch TCM's silent movies on Sunday night. I live on the West Coast and they show at 9 PM. The audio seems very nice and I am just wondering if the music is recreated. It is very good to me, considering how old it is.

19 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I just don't know where to begin here.

I thought he was asking how the soundtracks for silent films are composed. Besides the "goat gland" part-talkies, the recordings are always new.

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I thought he was asking how the soundtracks for silent films are composed. Besides the "goat gland" part-talkies, the recordings are always new.

Not sure I understand. I am very much the novice with classic movies in general. When I listen to a silent film, the music is at least the quality of the 50s or newer. "The General" is a personal favorite.

1 minute ago, jimmymac71 said:

Not sure I understand. I am very much the novice with classic movies in general. When I listen to a silent film, the music is at least the quality of the 50s or newer. "The General" is a personal favorite.

Yeah, the recordings to silent movies are often newer. Some silent/ part-talkie films were made during the late 20s and had a soundtrack to compete with the talkie movies. Most silent films have no surviving score so they use newer compositions or compositions that would have been played when the movie was released.

5 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, the recordings to silent movies are often newer. Some silent/ part-talkie films were made during the late 20s and had a soundtrack to compete with the talkie movies. Most silent films have no surviving score so they use newer compositions or compositions that would have been played when the movie was released.

Sometimes I think silent movie sound is amazing background music. I have a 7-year-old great-nephew who will learn from me about silent movies. His mother had not seen an LP record until we showed her. People like us are rich with beautiful history.