Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

History of Blackface (Yellow Face, etc.) in Film.

8 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I totally enjoyed your "all about me" confessional! Would you hate me for saying that I actually paid money once to see Sam Kinison in concert?

Wow! So how much did you figure each and every "OOOOH OOOOH OOOOOH NOOOOOOO!" ended up costin' ya that night, CG???

;)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, JakeHolman said:

Another clip that has nothing to do with the subject, Stepin Fetchit playing the stereotypical character. :(

He got the last laugh...died a millionaire. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

What does that staircase dance has to do with blackface?? :huh:

Well ham, attempting to figure out the whys and wherefores of Jake's usual M.O. of solely posting some YouTube videos within threads and sans any thought out explanation for 'em by him, really shouldn't be all THAT hard to do by now, should IT?!

(...BUT, I have to say that that video of Temple and Robinson's stair dance HAS always reminded me of that one episode of All in the Family, and where after Archie Bunker makes the comment that "blacks and whites shouldn't dance together", and then Edith says to him "Well, Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson used to dance together", that old bigot Archie replied, "Well, THAT was when she was a child and before she KNEW better!"...I must have laughed for a good two minutes after watching that back when it was first run)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well ham, attempting to figure out the whys and wherefores of Jake's usual M.O. of solely posting some YouTube videos within threads and sans any thought out explanation for 'em by him, really shouldn't be all THAT hard to do by now, should IT?!

(...BUT, I have to say that that video of Temple and Robinson's stair dance HAS always reminded me of that one episode of All in the Family, and where after Archie Bunker makes the comment that "blacks and whites shouldn't dance together", and then Edith says to him that "Well, Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson used to dance together", that old bigot Archie replied, "Well, THAT was when she was a child and before she KNEW better!"...I must have laughed for a good two minutes after watching that back when it was first run)

During the theatrical release of "The Little Colonel" that scene was deleted in many southern states. :(

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

During the theatrical release of "The Little Colonel" that scene was deleted in many southern states. :(

Yes, of course it was!

And so NOW the question is: Any guesses as to when Jake first got to see that scene re-included in that movie during its Late Show broadcast on HIS TV set there in his beloved Deep South?

(...MY guess?!...probably sometime around '70 or '71...so what's YOUR guess???) ;)

LOL

We could probably extend indefinitely the list of actors who played Native Americans: Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Judith Anderson . . . .

The best Mexican of all, however, has to be Humphrey Bogart in Virginia City.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, kingrat said:

We could probably extend indefinitely the list of actors who played Native Americans: Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Judith Anderson . . . .

The best Mexican of all, however, has to be Humphrey Bogart in Virginia City.

WAIT! Let's NOT forget that the great Don Rickles once even played an Indian...ahem, sorry...a "Native American"!

Uh-huh! WHAT, have we forgotten Don's terrific turn as the character "Bald Eagle" on the '60s sitcom F-Troop?!

C'mon now, SURELY you folks remember THAT, doncha?!!!

215d061aa1f3c95dc3cf422e1babe3ed.jpg

"KILL the White Man! KILL, KILL, KKKKKIIIIIILLLLLLLLL!"

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

How about mentioning some of these people who played American Indians?

And don't even get me started on some of the people who tried to play Italians.

Burt Reynolds began his career playing Indians

51S4VbXv+wL._SY445_.jpg

And by the way, this guy...

keep-america-beautiful-ad-campaign-poste

... was secretly Italian! :lol:

4 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Boris Karloff

Bela Lugosi

Wallace Beery

Ted de Corsia

Chuck Connors

Jeff Chandler

Gilbert Roland

Ricardo Montalban

Sal Mineo

Michael Pate

Anthony Quinn

Rita Gam

Debra Paget

And don't even get me started on some of the people who tried to play Italians.

Anyone still laughing?

d3bf442c8778de35bb909538a308c1ea.jpg

I can see why the real one was so angry, a medicine man predicted who will play him.

I'm going to shoot that Winchester toting SOB

geronimo-9309607-2-raw.jpg

:lol:

Question...What does Geronimo shouts we he leaps from a tall cliff?

Answer... M-e-e-e-e!

:P

• Haha 5

Might be time for me to re-watch that Chuck Connors Geronimo movie.

I think the first and last time I watched it was probably on the old ABC Sunday Night Movie series when I was a teenager, and I remember it being fairly well done and with Connors(yeah yeah yeah, I know he has blue eyes, so what?!...look at those freakin' cheekbones of his...but I digress) being able to elicit a hell of a lot of sympathy from me for how Geronimo was shafted by the U.S. Government.

(...so yeah, maybe it's time to re-watch this one...maybe as an older man I'll be less impressed with this movie than I remember I was as a teen...maybe)

4 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

And Elvis Presley.

Elvis-in-Stay-Away-Joe.jpg.ffb74540af2f01f803e06ec7cf15806d.jpg

Plus, wasn't this the first musical in which a Rooney character declared: "Hey, kids, let's put on a show!"? It's legendary stuff now, and it apparently was very appealing back in 1939.

I like that clip: all the boys are in suits & ties and all the girls in dresses with shoes- my how things have changed!

Bob Hope's racist "undercurrent" in an earlier post needs to be clarified: Hope's just speaking words that were written for him by the studio writers and when on tour-his own writers (which I'm sure he chose from Paramount's stable)

I also liked the earlier comment the opportunity is greater for all races/genders in today's movies as compared to the "golden era" of Hollywood studios. Remember, even in Poitier's day, most of the story lines revolved around the fact he was black in a white dominated society.
Many criticized him for being "too white" whatever that means. Did Poitier seem "too white" because he was assimilating into the predominant culture of the day? Just like Italian immigrants, Russian immigrants, Fijian immigrants etc.

I see a dangerous trend these days of people unwilling to "assimilate" thinking they'll lose their individuality or heritage. Too much individuality is arrogant, isolating & unproductive instead of inclusive. If that actor from Fiji waits for a Southern Pacific specific role, he'll just be another out-of-work actor.
  • Like 1

Actually Darg, that Conners Geronimo flick was on the Movies! channel a couple or so weeks ago.  Watched it for the first time in some forty years m'self then.  And I recall seeing it at the show when it came out.

And missing from SCSU's list of "people who played American Indians" (as opposed to Italian or GERMAN Indians...  ;)  ) was:

ROCK HUDSON

DEAN STOCKWELL

DUSTIN HOFFMAN 

FRANK de KOVA

MICHAEL ANSARA 

JOHN SAXON

And( half-breed) STEVE McQUEEN

Sepiatone

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually Darg, that Conners Geronimo flick was on the Movies! channel a couple or so weeks ago.  Watched it for the first time in some forty years m'self then.  And I recall seeing it at the show when it came out.

And missing from SCSU's list of "people who played American Indians" (as opposed to Italian or GERMAN Indians...  ;)  ) was:

ROCK HUDSON

DEAN STOCKWELL

DUSTIN HOFFMAN 

FRANK de KOVA

MICHAEL ANSARA 

JOHN SAXON

Sepiatone

If you're speaking of Hoffman's turn in Little Big Man here Sepia, his character in that movie was actually of a Caucasian who as a child is taken in and raised by an Indian tribe after another Indian tribe kill his parents. 

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

And Elvis Presley.

Elvis-in-Stay-Away-Joe.jpg.ffb74540af2f01f803e06ec7cf15806d.jpg

DID YOU KNOW ELVIS PRESLEY WAS CHEROKEE DESCENT?

https://www.manataka.org/page2881.html

Looked into the info at the bottom of the link.

CC Murdock, Indian County's own Elvis.

CC%20Murdock.jpg

Wonder how does "I'm Nothing But a Hound Dog" sound in  Indian? :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

(Or East Indians, like Peter Sellers, in every other of his 60's films...)

And blue-eyed half-breed Paul Newman.

• Thanks 1

Heh, I once met a real Indian Elvis at an Elvis Impersonator Convention. Elvis' all over town!

Elvis-Tribute-s.jpg

Searching yielded this great photo:
7aa4d1d4e1c5f3b605ea6022a227ab7b--country-fall-cherokee-indians.jpg

Syracuse has a health Native American population, including chief of the Onondaga Tribe. Those in costume are actors, definitely not Native American.

everybody always forgets about celia kaye in island of the blue dolphins.

Image result for celia kaye island of the blue dolphins

And what about ROBERT BLAKE, who's played native Americans as both a kid AND adult?

And if I missed DEBRA PAGET's mention, I apologize.

And as for HOFFMAN, I'd answer, "....but still....."

Sepiatone

Oh, and let's not forget LON CHANEY JR. as CHINGACHGOOK on the old "Hawkeye and The Last Of The Mohicans" TV show in the late '50's.  And I do believe he did a similar role in some old movie too( but not sure at the moment)  ;)

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Oh, and let's not forget LON CHANEY JR. as CHINGACHGOOK on the old "Hawkeye and The Last Of The Mohicans" TV show in the late '50's.  And I do believe he did a similar role in some old movie too( but not sure at the moment)  ;)

Sepiatone

Battles Of Chief Pontiac (1952) and he played a Indian named Blackfish in Daniel Boone Trailblazer (1956)

• Thanks 1