Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

History of Blackface (Yellow Face, etc.) in Film.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:23 AM, Dargo said:

Wow! So how much did you figure each and every "OOOOH OOOOH OOOOOH NOOOOOOO!" ended up costin' ya that night, CG???

;)

Some things just have to remain unanswered, Dargo.

• 1 year later...

What the?

wl68.jpg

I was gonna post this in Post an Interesting Pic thread but it probably fits in better here.....

Anybody got a clue what it's from?

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

What the?

wl68.jpg

I was gonna post this in Post an Interesting Pic thread but it probably fits in better here.....

Anybody got a clue what it's from?

It's from mommie dearest. :lol:

I recognized her even through that makeup.

Edited by hamradio
7 minutes ago, hamradio said:

It's from Mommie Dearest. :lol:

It's from the movie Torch Song that Joan did. It's a musical number, it's awful, not just the make-up ( as if that wasn't bad enough) but the film and that number are the worst. TCM shows this awful film every so often. Michael Wilding plays a blind musician and Joan plays a Broadway star.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

It's from the movie Torch Song that Joan did. It's a musical number, it's awful, not just the make-up ( as if that wasn't bad enough) but the film and that number are the worst. TCM shows this awful film every so often. Michael Wilding plays a blind musician and Joan plays a Broadway star.

I know that, was using mommie dearest as a euphemism. 

13 minutes ago, hamradio said:

It's from Mommie Dearest. :lol:

8 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

In 1977, Carol Burnett spoofed the film (sans blackface) on her CBS variety with second banana Harvey Korman. Her version was titled "Torchy Song.

tumblr_m4yev8ZvLQ1rqlmkso1_500.jpg
15 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I quoted you Ham by accident. I meant to quote cigarjoe when he asked anybody have a clue where this is from.  So, good for you that you know it's from Torch Song .it's still a lousy movie LOL

In 1977, Carol Burnett spoofed the film (sans blackface) on her CBS variety with second banana Harvey Korman. Her version was titled "Torchy Song.

tumblr_m4yev8ZvLQ1rqlmkso1_500.jpg

When I first saw the photo cigarjoe posted, that could had been a spoof for "Diary of An ANGRY Black Woman". :P:lol:

Now expect some want that movie torched.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:50 AM, hamradio said:

During the theatrical release of "The Little Colonel" that scene was deleted in many southern states. :(

Gee, what a surprise. 

On 5/31/2018 at 12:23 AM, JakeHolman said:

Boy! Can somebody suggest a book on this stuff to me? I would love to read an in depth bio on this stuff. I have a couple of bios on Jolson and an excellent bio od=n W C Fields, but I would love to read how the minstrels kept on. I mean maybe from an African American's point of view.  If they were allowed. 

Just now, Janet0312 said:

Boy! Can somebody suggest a book on this stuff to me? I would love to read an in depth bio on this stuff. I have a couple of bios on Jolson and an excellent bio od=n W C Fields, but I would love to read how the minstrels kept on. I mean maybe from an African American's point of view.  If they were allowed. 

So is this Jolson or Larry Parks? Hee hee!!

6 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Guess there are a few on the subject.

51AtVz4L5yL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just don't tell anybody you have it or may wind up red faced.

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

Guess there are a few on the subject.

51AtVz4L5yL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just don't tell anybody you have it or may wind up red faced.

Yeah, no kidding. Thanks, buddy.

Perhaps it's appropriate to mention that the new Criterion edition of Spike Lee's 2000 film Bamboozled has just been released. It's a satire on racial depictions in entertainment, with a look at the history of minstrel performance as well as what Lee called the "new minstrel show" in pop culture of the time.

s48ebrkllPeu1rDdXBVnzKQ9ZRR7u4_large.jpg

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Perhaps it's appropriate to mention that the new Criterion edition of Spike Lee's 2000 film Bamboozled has just been released. It's a satire on racial depictions in entertainment, with a look at the history of minstrel performance as well as what Lee called the "new minstrel show" in pop culture of the time.

s48ebrkllPeu1rDdXBVnzKQ9ZRR7u4_large.jpg

This didn't fade away in the 1950s either.  In the UK, there was a popular BBC programme called The Black and White Minstrel Show.  It ran from 1958 to 1978, and was one of the highest rated programmes in the UK.  It also spun off a popular stage show in the UK, that eventually toured New Zealand and Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

I don't have any qualms about blackface in the movies, the times being what they were. My father was a Swede and there are several references in film how dopey the Swedes were. Are. Anyway,  sometimes I take offense to it, but again, those were the times. I went on a Star Trek themed cruise and hooked up with George Takai and his lovely mother. I had no idea at the time how he felt about the Charlie Chan films. If I did, I would have said something to him about it, because I just adore those movies. If you read the books, they are way worse, women having to walk ten feet behind their masters...

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I think she looks kind of sexy in blackface.

They should had put her in a Coppertone ad wearing a swimsuit. ;)

Goodness is this really a difference? :blink:

hm-advert-2.jpg

What's even stranger than yellowface is when they cast a caucasian actor for the asian role and have east asians play the parents. An example of this is Yunan in Arabian Nights (1974) who is played by an Italian actor while Nepalese play his parents. It's weird seeing them call him "son" and vice versa, him calling them "father." :huh: 

image-w240.jpg?1500778360

MV5BMjEyMDA2ODY3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDIz