Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should the 3:30 a.m. film on Tuesday, June 26, be Bye Bye Birdie? I've seen it many times. I hope it's the one with Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh. So much fun.

18 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Should the 3:30 a.m. film on Tuesday, June 26, be Bye Bye Birdie? I've seen it many times. I hope it's the one with Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh. So much fun.

Yes, I believe you're right. That was obviously an error. These are screen shots from TCM's page on the Mad About Musicals series.

• Thanks 1

Wow! So many wonderful musicals each Tuesday. But the last two...Mama Mia! What a selection! I cannot wait for those two days. ?

• Like 1

Some I've never heard of, some I don't like as much as others, and some I absolutely love. But Rodgers and Hammerstein are conspicuously absent. Why is that? Theirs are my favorite "older" musicals, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's (also missing) are my favorite "newer" ones.

• Like 1

I imagine the reason for the lack of Rodgers and Hammerstein films is that they are owned by Fox who may not be willing to rent them to TCM. It is noticeable there is only one Betty Grable vehicle, one minor Alice Faye film and no Betty Hutton Paramount films.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, BartG said:

I imagine the reason for the lack of Rodgers and Hammerstein films is that they are owned by Fox who may not be willing to rent them to TCM. It is noticeable there is only one Betty Grable vehicle, one minor Alice Faye film and no Betty Hutton Paramount films.

I wondered if it had something to do with licensing or copyrights. I remember seeing Oklahoma in the past (I think) and State Fair, but not in years. 

That's too bad. They are iconic treasures, especially Oklahoma which, as far as I know, was the first musical to incorporate the songs into the story rather than just as extraneous entertainment that had little or nothing to do with the plot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there a written list of the films that will be shown? I saw the list on the course website, but could not read it when I brought it up. I'm blind and use a screen reader and/or Braille display to access the computer; so images without alt text do me no good. I can easily go through the schedule day by day; it's just time consuming to do it that way, lol. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, broadwaydon said:

Is there a written list of the films that will be shown? I saw the list on the course website, but could not read it when I brought it up. I'm blind and use a screen reader and/or Braille display to access the computer; so images without alt text do me no good. I can easily go through the schedule day by day; it's just time consuming to do it that way, lol. 

Don,

Would it help for me to type the titles out for you? My original post in this thread included screen shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the first week of films, Don:

TUESDAY 5TH OF JUNE

6:00 a.m. Going Hollywood (1933) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
7:30 a.m. Footlight Parade (1933) Warner Brothers
9:30 a.m. Dames (1934) Warner Brothers
11:30 a.m. The Great Ziegfeld (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
2:30 p.m. Strike Me Pink (1936) United Artists
4:15 p.m. Broadway Melody of 1936 (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
6:00 p.m. Born to Dance (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
8:00 p.m. The Broadway Melody (1929) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
10:00 p.m. 42nd Street (1933) Warner Brothers
11:45 p.m. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) Warner Brothers
1:45 a.m. The Love Parade (1929) Paramount
3:45 a.m. Hallelujah (1929) Metro Goldwyn Mayer

THURSDAY 7TH OF JUNE

6:00 a.m. The Merry Widow (1934) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
8:00 a.m. Naughty Marietta (1935) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
10:00 a.m. Rose Marie (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
12:00 p.m. Follow the Fleet (1936) Radio Pictures
2:00 p.m. The Gay Divorcee (1934) Radio Pictures
4:00 p.m. Shall We Dance (1937) Radio Pictures
6:00 p.m. Swing Time (1936) Radio Pictures 
8:00 p.m. The Wizard of Oz (1939) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
10:00 p.m. Top Hat (1935) Radio Pictures
12:00 a.m. Three Smart Girls (1936) Universal
1:45 a.m. Stowaway (1936) 20th Century Fox
3:30 a.m. Maytime (1937) Metro Goldwyn Mayer

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Here's the first week of films, Don:

TUESDAY 5TH OF JUNE

6:00 a.m. Going Hollywood (1933) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
7:30 a.m. Footlight Parade (1933) Warner Brothers
9:30 a.m. Dames (1934) Warner Brothers
11:30 a.m. The Great Ziegfeld (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
2:30 p.m. Strike Me Pink (1936) United Artists
4:15 p.m. Broadway Melody of 1936 (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
6:00 p.m. Born to Dance (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
8:00 p.m. The Broadway Melody (1929) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
10:00 p.m. 42nd Street (1933) Warner Brothers
11:45 p.m. Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) Warner Brothers
1:45 a.m. The Love Parade (1929) Paramount
3:45 a.m. Hallelujah (1929) Metro Goldwyn Mayer

THURSDAY 7TH OF JUNE

6:00 a.m. The Merry Widow (1934) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
8:00 a.m. Naughty Marietta (1935) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
10:00 a.m. Rose Marie (1936) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
12:00 p.m. Follow the Fleet (1936) Radio Pictures
2:00 p.m. The Gay Divorcee (1934) Radio Pictures
4:00 p.m. Shall We Dance (1937) Radio Pictures
6:00 p.m. Swing Time (1936) Radio Pictures 
8:00 p.m. The Wizard of Oz (1939) Metro Goldwyn Mayer
10:00 p.m. Top Hat (1935) Radio Pictures
12:00 a.m. Three Smart Girls (1936) Universal
1:45 a.m. Stowaway (1936) 20th Century Fox
3:30 a.m. Maytime (1937) Metro Goldwyn Mayer

This community is the most awesome! Thanks so much for helping out another student!! This is tremendous. I am also so grateful to be associated with this course and the AMAZING STUDENTS!!

Best, Richard Edwards

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So glad TOMMY is on the list. I went through a weird phase during college when I watched that constantly. I don't know where that came from, suddenly watching that film all the time. Then I just stopped.? I haven't seen it in years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FredricMarchFan said:

So glad TOMMY is on the list. I went through a weird phase during college when I watched that constantly. I don't know where that came from, suddenly watching that film all the time. Then I just stopped.? I haven't seen it in years.

I know why I watched it all the time. Roger Daltry without a shirt! I actually had a poster of that shot on my dorm room wall. :D I haven't seen it in a long time either but it will be added to my DVR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' is on at a time I can see it.  So many people mentioned it as one of their favorites, and I want to see what I've been missing.  It's a great selection for lovers of musicals!  Can't wait!

• Like 3

Before signing up, I read somewhere in the enrolment process that there would be alternate ways of viewing at least some movies, or at least suggestions for alternate viewing methods.  Links to public domain films was mentioned.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I can't access the films via TCM, so any advice would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Milne said:

Before signing up, I read somewhere in the enrolment process that there would be alternate ways of viewing at least some movies, or at least suggestions for alternate viewing methods.  Links to public domain films was mentioned.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I can't access the films via TCM, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Yes, we are going to be making an announcement this week on some of the alternate ways to view the films. We are still working on this.

Turns out there are not many good choices in the public domain. One student mentioned using local libraries, where you can frequently check out many of these films for free with a valid library card. And Dr. Ament does have a small group of featured films so the course can be done with as few as one or two films a week as a representative set of movies to illustrate the lecture points. We also consciously picked films that are some of the better known movies, so that they should be easier to locate for many students who don't have access to TCM.

Hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of Mad About Musicals!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Are the times listed Eastern time zone? I live in Central, and I'd hate to tune in and find out half the show was already over!

So, looking at the schedule, is 1929 Broadway Melody or the 1936 that we are supposed to watch? Confusing, since the decade we’re studying is the 1930s.

35 minutes ago, R Schmitt said:

Are the times listed Eastern time zone? I live in Central, and I'd hate to tune in and find out half the show was already over!

Good question. Yes, times listed are Eastern time zone. 

18 hours ago, FredricMarchFan said:

Most memorable image = Ann-Margret rolling around in about 14839 gallons of canned beans!!

• Like 2

Just to follow up on the local library option mentioned above, so far I'm not having much luck there.  The next town over has Top Hat, but I'd have to order it through my town's library so it would take some time to get it.  That was about the only one available for this week's viewing, and the upcoming weeks don't look a lot better.

Update: I've ordered Top Hat and should have it by Thursday!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elizabeth Milne said:

Just to follow up on the local library option mentioned above, so far I'm not having much luck there.  The next town over has Top Hat, but I'd have to order it through my town's library so it would take some time to get it.  That was about the only one available for this week's viewing, and the upcoming weeks don't look a lot better.

Update: I've ordered Top Hat and should have it by Thursday!

Have you looked ahead at what's on the schedule for next week and the week after? You may want to request those titles from your library in advance.