Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My favorite musical is “Chicago.” I love the sultry vocals and costumes. I can’t help but sing and dance along. You can’t beat a little Fosse!

• Like 1

I think I like musicals that have a good story behind them. Some musicals can seem like an opera where nobody ever speaks in a normal conversation, they just sing every word. I like The Wizard of Oz, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music, Marry Poppins, Bye bye Birdie, South Pacific, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Grease, Phantom of the Opera (although POTO is more of an opera, it does have a good story behind it)

Most watched?

I think the Disney animated ones probably top the list--especially from when I growing up--ALADDIN, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, THE LITTLE MERMAID (probably the least of the 3.) I've also seen SOUTH PARK: BIGGER LONGER AND UNCUT a bunch of times.

Of live action, I think THE WIZARD OF OZ is probably my most rewatched, though THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW is getting up there--I only first watched it about 4 years ago but have since watched it about 3 more times. There's an interesting yin and yang there I suppose where ones a children's movie and the other is very much adult.

The ones that stick with me, beyond just nostalgia or being fun, typically go beyond entertainment and spectacle and have some sequences that combine performance, characters, camera, staging, and elaborate visual and costume design that serves the storytelling. Just knocking you on your **** can be great, but when it's in service of the storytelling and says something about the characters or ideas with extra emotional content or laughs, that's when I'll remember some sequences and images--e.g. the ballet sequence in THE RED SHOES.

I haven't seen that many of these movies, especially pre-1960. Traditionally, I've avoided them somewhat because the genre is less realistic and naturalistic to me, especially the ones that are almost entirely sung, and many I watched when I was younger (esp. plays) struck me as hokey. I like to think I'll be more open-minded and appreciative of them now that I'll be watching a number of them in succession and learning more about the context of their production.

• Thanks 1

I grew up on Hollywood musicals thanks to my dad. Some of our favorites that I find myself watching again and again are Meet Me In St. Louis (which has a special place in my heart, being from St. Louis myself), Singin' In The Rain, and West Side Story. We also watch Holiday Inn (one of my all time favorites) and White Christmas every Christmas. Musicals have always brought us closer together and gave us something to bond over. I think that musicals have always been and will always be something that will bring people together. 

• Like 2

Hi! My name is Julie and I've loved musicals as long for as long as I can remember (in fact, the first gift I received when I was a baby was a little snowglobe that plays Somewhere Over the Rainbow), even before I knew that they is a specific name for musicals and showtunes, and a community of people who love them.

I grew up watching all the Disney animated musicals from the 90's as well as the 1982 and 1999 version of Annie, and I remember feeling so amazed by how larger than life everything was and how everything on screen was just so perfect and beautiful and sophisticated. Coincidentally, I also remember wondering as a preteen whether I actually even liked listening to music, because even though I liked listening to the songs in movie, I was kind of indifferent to the mainstream pop songs that the other kids at my school listened to. 

Out of my love for Disney, I saw Enchanted (2007) when it was first released in theatres when I was 13. Having since seen it more than 30 times, I think it's safe to say that it's one of the musicals I go back to over and over. It has such a perfect balance between poking fun at all the Disney classics while still paying homage to them and Amy Adams is sheer perfection as Giselle. Moreover, my obsession with Enchanted led me to realise that Stephen Schwartz, who had written the lyrics for the songs in Enchanted as well as for a lot of the Disney films I had grew up watching, had also written this Broadway musical called Wicked.

Growing up, I never felt like I fitted in, so I strongly identified with Elphaba from Wicked. Moreover, Wicked ended up being my gateway drug into the world of Broadway musicals. For the first time in my life, I realised that not only they were thousands of people who enjoyed the style of music that spoke to me, but that there were also thousands of shows and movie musicals that I had yet to discover. So, I began watching movie musicals and listening to cast recordings obsessively, and I never looked back (it was also around the same time that I got hooked on classic movies).

Some of the movie musicals that I could watch over and over:

-Singing in the Rain: just pure perfection, non-stop entertainment and the title number is iconic

-La La Land: I saw it 10 times in cinema. Such a beautiful homage to classic movie musicals and such a perfect mix of classic and contemporary film techniques.

Pennies from Heaven (1981)-kind of a strange and bleak film, but it appeals to the melancholic side of my soul

But really I could put practically every musical ever made on this list, I LOVE musicals

• Like 1

I love all musicals - on stage and on film.  My favorite on film are starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.  Their dancing and dialogue seem to transport one to a time of glamour and clever conversation.  Other favorites are Gypsy, Fiddler on the Roof, Unsinkable Molly Brown, My Fair Lady, Gigi, Hello Dolly...and the list goes on.   I look forward to diving into the world of musicals for the next few weeks.  -- Kelly

Hi Everyone!  I have too many favorites to pick one.  I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, and the Wizard of Oz to name only a few.  I am excited to see some of the older movies that I haven’t seen before.   I may have more favorites before this is over.  I am currently listening to Hamilton from the Broadway cast.  

The musical I find myself watching over and over again: Rocky Horror Picture Show. I love the community of musicals. I love how no one thinks it's odd to suddenly burst into song and dance. I love how FUN musicals are!

I can watch Easter Parade endlessly. Aside from Judy and Fred, to me the 2 greatest musical performers ever, I love the story. Fred thinking he wants one thing, only to realize what he really wants is something different. I think some of Judy's personality shines through in her acting, and especially "Walk Up the Avenue" number. The writing is great, the Irving Berlin songs are stellar, the costumes and sets and direction are all beautiful. 

• Like 2

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers   AND   Calamity Jane.

These two musicals make me laugh EVERY time I watch them. I really enjoy the barn raising dance number in Seven Brides, and I can't get enough of Doris Day as Jane! I can't decide which I enjoy more!!!

I also work in the entertainment industry in wardrobe, so I really appreciate what they did with the costumes in these two movies.

What other comical musicals do you all love?

sevenbridesdance.jpg

Doris_Day_1953_Calamity_Jane.JPG

• Like 1

I think I like musicals that have a good story behind them. Some musicals can seem like an opera where nobody ever speaks in a normal conversation, they just sing every word. I like The Wizard of Oz, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music, Marry Poppins, Bye bye Birdie, South Pacific, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Grease, Phantom of the Opera (although POTO is more of an opera, it does have a good story behind it). I also like the Beatles Yellow Submarine, and Tommy by The Who.

I think that Funny Girl will be forever one my all time favorites simply because of Barbra Streisand's ability to translate such an amazing stage performance to the screen which is often times not possible. 

But I also grew up on the Alice Faye/Carmen Miranda films like Week-End in Havana, Alexander's Ragtime Band, and The Gang's All Here which were cornerstone's in early musical films. 

My love for the Hollywood Musical bred my love for the stage Musical which I have found my life in and I think that there is s much to be learned in the history of musical film that translates to the stage and back. 

After performing in shows like Fiddler on the Roof, Anything Goes, and Little Shop of Horrors, you come to truly appreciate the Films that we have and our ability to be able to see some of the great performances of the genre. 

• Thanks 1

My favorites are Funny Face and Meet Me in St. Louis. What originally attracted me to them both were the leading actresses and how "singable" the music is.

I don't even like musicals that much. I'm hoping to learn more about them in this course and broaden my appreciation. If I had to pick a favorite it would be The Bandwagon...it brings a fictitious stage musical to life on screen. The surreal and trippy musicals of Busby Berkeley are also fun, when you're in the right mood. And for the truly bizarro there's Joan Crawford's Torch Song. Not for the faint of heart.

Being a dancer...to me "Broadway Melody of 1940" upstages all others.  This quintessential backstage musical contains the stand alone virtuoso dance number of all time - "Begin the Beguine".  Most viewers credit the final tap sequence as the star piece - ONLY Fred and Eleanor could have performed this piece - no one else then or since - NO ONE - had the technical virtuosity to do it - and with their shoulders down! 

BUT - the bolero section that precedes it is breathtaking in its subtlety - the control of center the choreography requires and the sublime elegance of the arms and hands escapes most watchers  - and from a choreographer no one has heard of!!  At last Eleanor was able to show her real talent instead of her circus pony act!! Then add the spectacular black and white set  - (color would detract )- and costumes..I could go on and on...

Being an English Major my next delight and satisfaction is "My Fair Lady" The Library! Books from floor to ceiling!! But the story of Pygmalion is the underlying desire of mankind to be transformed into something they are not...but it must be something higher...improved...darkness to light....born again...and the English language the modus....the music is great...but the script! 

I have always enjoyed the musicals, some more than others of course! I wanted to say my favorites are Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. But then I think of others that I love-Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, Wizard of Oz, and whatever musical I happen to be watching at the time.  What draws me to the musicals is the romance, the music, the rhythm, and the happy endings!  Oh, and singing along!

'42nd Street' is one of my favs because it is not just the music and the dancing, but also the dialogue, the epic proportions of the Broadway scene and the enormous hardships 'to have a go'. But musicals are often about pure joy... elation... and can be escapist as well as realistic to life. i have enjoyed all the TCM online film courses... but I know this one will open my (Australian) world even more..

My all time favorite is Singing in the Rain!

Here are my other favorites I love to watch: Night and Day, Three Little Words, Till the Clouds Roll By, Calamity Jane, Love Me or Leave Me, Blue Skies, The Jolson Story, The Great Ziegfeld, Romance On the High Seas, The Harvey Girls, White Christmas, Good News, A Star is Born, The Dolly Sisters, For Me and My Gal, Show Boat, Strike Up the Band, Easter Parade, On the Town, Babes in Arms, In the Good Old Summertime, On Moonlight Bay, Summer Stock...WOW! There are so many!

My favorite is probably West Side Story. What I love about musicals are the great lyrics ("when did your sparkle turn to fire, and your warmth become desire?" or "I'll never know what made it so exciting. Why all at once my heart took flight" or one of those moments when the combination of lyrics, orchestration and vocals meet in a crescendo that makes your heart feel like it's going to leap from your chest such as "Now I shout it from the highest hill...")  I guess the bottom line is that musicals make me feel

I love so many musicals but some of my favorites are The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Singin in the Rain, and The Wizard of Oz. I love White Christmas especially during the holidays. However, West Side Story would probably be top of my list. It has everything; romance, suspense, comedy, drama; plus the songs and dancing are amazing!

Hi! First of all, I want to say that I'm so excited to learn from this class ?

One musical that I never get tired of watching over and over again is Funny Girl. There are a lot actually but Funny Girl is just so close to my heart. The story, the characters, the songs.... they're perfect. (Flawed but that made them perfect)

I've loved musicals for as long as I can remember. My first was Carousel. When I was in sixth grade there was a morning movie show. I was late to school often. That's where I first saw it. I can't say what my favorite is. To many.   When my **** husband and I were dating in 74 I took him to see Cabaret and he really liked it. That was a plus for him. His favorite is Fidler on the Roof. Right now I'm watching Victor/Victoria on AMC again. Plus I have it on my DVR. 

56 minutes ago, maureenbridget said:

I don't even like musicals that much. I'm hoping to learn more about them in this course and broaden my appreciation. If I had to pick a favorite it would be The Bandwagon...it brings a fictitious stage musical to life on screen. The surreal and trippy musicals of Busby Berkeley are also fun, when you're in the right mood. And for the truly bizarro there's Joan Crawford's Torch Song. Not for the faint of heart.

I love it when those who are not big musicals lovers get involved. It adds another dimension to the course. Thanks for being here.

I saw ALL THAT JAZZ last month on the Big Screen and it really resonated. I think that is musical that gets better with age because the issues it covers are so deep (addiction, Death, workaholics, adultery, fame, etc.).

0000000000-allthatjazz-jessicalange.jpg

• Like 3