Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Easter Parade, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, Singing in the Rain---All feel good movies showing amazing times--an escape from real life as we know it today, OHHH White Christmas too! In my next life I will become a tap dancer!

Most of us seem to agree that picking a favorite is a painful process. I'm just going to focus on what I return to over and over. Meet Me in St. Louis is a joy. A wonderful cast with Garland at the top of her game directed by Minnelli with attention to every detail and filmed in glorious Technicolor! I love the Busby Berkeley films at Warner Bros. and am compelled to show the production numbers to anyone who isn't familiar with them. The Gay Divorcee...Till the Clouds Roll By...The That's Entertainment! Trilogy. 

My Fair Lady is for me the most wonderful and perfect musical. The play in which it is based, the wonderful Lerner and Loewe adaptation, the Warner treatment and Audrey, Rex and Cukor at their best! One of a kind production and the unforgettable essence of the musicals from the 60s. Style, art, elegance, wit. Irresistible! Seen it 43 years ago for the first time and maybe.... more than fifty times.

• Like 1

Where do I start? Oklahoma, White Christmas, Brigadoon, South Pacific, Holiday Inn, West Side Story, Gay Divorcee.....there's something about a musical that is sure to change my mood for the better.

I watch so many musicals repeatedly every year, from early on to today's offerings but my favourites would have to be:
Singing in the Rain -- It's just so happy and Hollywood glamorous.
Good News -- I love June Allyson and Peter Lawford together in this film.
Grease -- Saw it when I was a kid and have sung along every year since. I love the clothes and the story line of how we'll change for those we love.
Any Elvis movie. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the King. :D

I always find myself drawn to the Rooney/ Garland musicals, especially Girl Crazy (1943). They are both incredibly talented and Gershwin songs are iconic. I always thought it was interesting that it features June Allyson before she's very famous and an uncredited Peter Lawford with one line. I really like all of Judy Garland's musicals but my favorite are The Pirate (1948), A Star is Born (1954), Easter Parade (1948), The Harvey Girls (1946) and Meet Me in St. Louis (1944). I recently saw Presenting Lily Mars (1943), it surprises me that it isn't more well known. It's really charming and Judy plays a more comedic role than most of her other musicals. 

Though I'm really biased towards 1940s musicals I also like Swing Time (1936) with Astaire/ Rogers. I also like Singing in the Rain (1952), and I think its interesting that a majority of the songs are taken from previous musicals. Its funny how there is only a partial commitment to the supposed time period of the transition to sound in movies, its like a 1950s version of the late 1920s. Its the same idea in Hello, Dolly! (1969) where its a 1960s version of the 1890s. But I actually kind of like it since it gives a glimpse into the time the movie was made as well as the story's time period. 

As sort of a random tangent I think its really interesting when a movie or musical combines real pop culture of the time with fictitious elements, its fairly prevalent in the Rooney/ Garland musicals whenever a band leader is featured as themself (Tommy Dorsey, Paul Whiteman, etc).

I repeatedly find myself obsessed with “west side story” for several reasons. Robert E Wise, the director of the movie version graduated from the high school that I have taught at for many years.  I love the dancing and singing. I love the dramatic content of the Roméo and Juliet type story.  I would have to say the number one reason for the attraction is the very athletic style dancing!

• Like 1

OK, Roger - Here goes a crazy, slightly strange story re Musicals and our lives and their intertwining: The night of my final divorce decree (At age 55,) I decided to take a walk along the very dark and deserted country road on which my property was located. Not a streetlight in sight! Only the slight brushing of the flora and fauna of NEPA woods surrounding my house. The width of the paved street stretched out ahead as far as the sparse moonlit view would allow. I was terrified of the uncertainty. Both of my life and the situation I was in. Suddenly, my fingers started to click. My legs went from wobbly to strong and my choked voice sang out: "Bo-oy, Bo-oy, Crazy Bo-oy, Stay Cool Boy! Got a Rocket, in your pocket? Keep coolly cool boy. Don't get hot, 'cause man, you got, some high times ahead. Take it slow, and Daddy-O, you can live it up and die in bed."  And I ran and danced and sang and jumped my way out of the divorce doldrums. THAT is what musicals are all about!! (OK, ya got me on the "Boy" part; however, I was a Shark that night...

• Like 2

I find myself drawn to Gene Kelly's films. 

• Anchors Aweigh and On the Town were the movies when it clicked and I finally "got" what was so great about Frank Sinatra. They were also a great duo in Take Me Out to the Ball Game.
  • An American in Paris - also a gem because it's Gershwin.
  • Singin' in the Rain - doesn't need much explanation. Especially the iconic title number.
  • Summer Stock - I was influenced from a young age by my mom's love of Judy Garland.

• Like 1

There are so many musical that I love that I cannot choose a favorite.  I love holiday Inn, swing time or just Fred Astair in general.  I recently made my friend who stated she did not like musicals watch Guys and Dolls and My Fair Lady and she did like them.  I think that musicals take you to another place letting you forget your worries that is what I love about musicals.

My Fair Lady and Gigi! The elegant costumes and music is superb. “I’m getting married in the morning” from My Fair Lady is simply hilarious. 

3 hours ago, HeyButtahfly said:

I find myself drawn to Gene Kelly's films. 

• Anchors Aweigh and On the Town were the movies when it clicked and I finally "got" what was so great about Frank Sinatra. They were also a great duo in Take Me Out to the Ball Game.
  • An American in Paris - also a gem because it's Gershwin.
  • Singin' in the Rain - doesn't need much explanation. Especially the iconic title number.
  • Summer Stock - I was influenced from a young age by my mom's love of Judy Garland.

Judy Garland singing Get Happy in Summer Stock  just blows me away - she is in top form.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 7:54 AM, Pirate Santa Karl said:

These are a few of My Favorite Things (see what I did there?)

* "Singin' in The Rain" (maybe the best ever)
* "Gold Diggers of 1933" (Ginger sings "We're In The Money" in PIG LATIN and so much more)
* "Footlight Parade" Jimmy Cagney, Joan Blondell, Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, Frank McHugh and great Busby Berkeley staging. 
* "Meet Me In St Louis" Amazing and gorgeous MGM Technicolor, brilliant casting, great songs
* "Yankee Doodle Dandy" Jimmy Cagney AND Walter Huston singing and dancing? I am THERE!
* "The Band Wagon" More Arthur Freed era brilliance from MGM (love Jack Buchanan)
* Almost all of the Fred & Ginger films, especially the ones directed by Mark Sandrich 
* "Mary Poppins" a favorite from my childhood
* "The Wizard of Oz" another favorite from my childhood
* "A Star Is Born", every version but especially the Judy Garland/George Cukor edition ("The Man Who Got Away" might be my favorite musical number ever)
* "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" amazing, beautiful, unique, special.  

Let's Movie! Let's Musical! 

Pirate Santa Karl - I 1000% agree with this list as a 'MUST SEE!'

• Haha 1

I think it is the costuming, but Gigi, and Can-Can are the 2 I have watched the most, except..... I have been a cast member of several Rocky Horror Picture Show Shadowcasts, and I feel that the campiness of the movie and the sheer joy that musicals incite, and the community that developed around it, while occasionally problematic, also allowed for a large number of outcasts to find like minded individuals before social media existed. That community has "saved" many a soul.

• Thanks 1

I can’t get enough of “West Side Story”. I just love the action and dance moves and the whole thing! “When you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet all the way!” 

• Like 1

My granny was born during the Depression and grew up adoring classic Hollywood.  She taught me well the value of musicals.  I consider Fred Astaire my guardian angel, Ginger Rodgers my hero, Gene Kelley the delight to end all delights, and Eleanor Powell a Super Hero.  As for which musicals I return to: almost all. Top ten: American In Paris, Gigi, Wizard of Oz, Swing Time, Top Hat, Music Man, Sound of Music, Yankee Doodle Dandy, South Pacific, and Meet Me in St. Louis.  All musicals appeal to me because I am a song and dance girl. Escapism is okay and necessary. I love the movement embracing musicals again: Moulin Rouge by Baz Lurman, Chicago, Les Miserable, The Artist (which I found really to embrace the optimism of the original years), and La La Land (I didn't like "The Greatest Show on Earth" but include it as reviving the musical). It is interesting to see each of the contemporary musical movies echo most of the styles of their predecessors. This is delightful. Cheers! 

On 6/3/2018 at 8:35 AM, MrDougLong said:

That's a good point. People who don't like musicals often cite the fact that people don't just start singing in life. In fact, stage and screen musicals are forms of surrealism. A stage director I once worked with explained his theory on why characters sing and dance in musicals: when words aren't enough, that's when you sing and/or dance.--------Ahhh , but I do break into song in real life....and often.  This is a case of life initiating art, but I hear the soundtrack in my mind. I've taught myself tap as well. I really do see myself as Rita Hayworth tapping in all my glory. Surreal, perhaps. but delightful. 

I love The Music Man. I adore Robert Preston, my first Hollywood crush. The music is so American so romantic so memorable. To me its like Marian says its the color, the lights and the way every kid walked around this town this summer. The Music Man does that to me everytime I watch it and everytime I listen to the soundtrack. I so wish  I could have seen it live on Broadway with the original cast. I live the play and movie so much I never miss even a local production. Just great.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 9:34 PM, Elusivebfly said:

Keep an eye on the camera angles in scenes where Gene Kelly and Cyd dance together. They very cleverly disguise any height differences.

If you do a side by side comparison between the styling of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire, Kelly has a very deep bend in his knees as he dances and Astaire stands up very straight.  I'm guessing Gene needs better posture ;)

• Like 1

My favorites  musicals are ones with a show business theme. Singin In the Rain, 42nd Street, The Bandwagon. I like the energy of these films. Also anything with Fred Astaire. He was not only a great dancer but also a fabulous singer. He was perfection.

For me, it's definitely "Singin' In The Rain." It has it all--fabulous dancing, catchy songs, a sweet story-line, and a happy ending!

My top 3 favorite musicals off the top of my head are, West Side Story, Oklahoma and The King and I. Certainly very different stories all brought together by music. I have to say that the stories, characters and of course the individual songs themselves draw me back to these 3 particular musicals time and time again. Certainly these 3 favorites are very different from each other, yet they portray many similarities. One, a culture in a foreign country struggling to become accepted. Another, similar people living in a new state and finally, a cultural refined woman and her son coming to live in a foreign land. I love the cultural stories they portray.

• Like 1

we enjoy 7 brides for 7 brothers.we have it on VHS and watch it regular,the brother are so good as brothers and the cncept of 7 girls is okay,but the focus is on the maturity of them around Milly,plus there will aways be Dorcus